Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Houston, TX, USA
First Name
Brendon
Last Name
P
Member #

Well, our international trip for this summer isn’t happening due to our destination not accepting Americans until further notice. My wife and I will instead be visiting my in-laws near Chicago for a last gathering in her childhood home before it goes on the market and we’ve decided to turn this into an overland trip instead of flying. We’ve also somehow managed to miss Arkansas and Missouri in our travels so we’d like to add a few states to the list.

We figure that respecting communities along the way who may be apprehensive about visitors bringing COVID from out of town by making as few stops as possible will be a good motivation to test our ability to stay self-contained. We’ll also both be getting COVID tests before we leave so we can travel with a clear conscience.

We’ve done trips up to 3 days, 2 nights in the Subaru without stopping for supplies other than gas and are hoping to stretch that to an additional night both for fun and to shorten the driving legs. With 3 stops on the way there and the way back we’ll still be pushing 7-8hrs on the road on the longest legs and that’ll limit our ability to enjoy our stops and I hate rolling into camp after dark.

Here’s the tentative plan:

Day 1:
Houston to Ouachita National Forest

Day 2:
Ouachita National Forest to Shawnee National Forest
-Maybe a quick stop to see Hot Springs on the way?

Day 3:
Shawnee National Forest to Starved Rock State Park (IL)

Day 4:
With family

Day 5:
With Family

Day 6:
Home to Mark Twain National Forest

Day 7:
Mark Twain National Forest to Ozark National Forest

Day 8:
Ozark National Forest to TBD TX State Park

Day 9:
Home

It’s a tight timeline but I tried to plan a few short legs in there to make up time if necessary and we do have a day or so of wiggle room on either end if we need it. I’d love to have a little more time to enjoy our stops but we’ll be balancing that with the all-important family time at our destination.

We’re hoping to do some light hiking and very light trail driving in the National Forests, does anyone have favorite spots we should check out? We’re taking the furry backseat crew and organic campsite alarms with us and their hiking endurance is limited to 2 miles or so in the summer heat.

I’ll probably brainstorm my packing list on here in the next few days. The goal is to only resupply at either end.

Pictures for attention:

217A4216-0B37-4C8E-8A7F-00F85CFBBEF5.jpeg

468D8827-7AD8-470D-A76F-E162021C0A69.jpeg

Reactions: RoarinRow

Offroadnutz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Texas/Missouri
First Name
Steven
Last Name
M
Member #

What part of the Ouachitas are you going? There are lots of good day hikes on the OK side along with lots of good dispersed camp sites.
Same goes for the Ozarks. What part of the Ozarks you going?

Gone_xtrkn

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Houston, TX, USA
First Name
Brendon
Last Name
P
Member #

What part of the Ouachitas are you going? There are lots of good day hikes on the OK side along with lots of good dispersed camp sites.
Same goes for the Ozarks. What part of the Ozarks you going?
We’ll be on the Arkansas side for both, most likely. Forgot to mention, we can probably only go dispersed one night each way and otherwise I’ll try to reserve sites to make sure we’re covered. My wife isn’t a huge fan of the camp toilet.