Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
We are currently touring Turkey as part of our year long Turkey and Europe Trip.

When we initially said part of our trip would be in Turkey we were met with comments of concern, warnings and general wariness by friends, colleagues and even overland people.

So let me put some things into perspective from our experiences:

We initially planned 3 to 4 weeks in Turkey. - We are now into our 7th week because we have loved it!

It was inferred by many we would not be welcomed - in total contrast we have met many people, made many new friends and generally been waved at or smiled to where ever we have been. People living in abject poverty have offered to share what they have with us and at no point have we been made to feel unwelcome or threatened.

Turkey is dangerous was another comment - by following Foreign Office advice we have stayed away from areas of concern such as the border with Syria. This is not rocket science it's just common sense. In areas such as Istanbul there is a high police (Jandarme) presence and most main tourist attractions have x ray machines and additional security. Like anywhere in this day and age all countries have a terrorist threat. Whilst driving some 4500 miles we have passed many vehicle check points. We have been stopped once, were politely asked some questions and showed our passports and then sent on our way.

Media - like all things the media has a lot to answer. It hyped up or glorifies single incidents to create a picture that doesn't exist.

So my advice to anyone thinking of visiting Turkey. Do it, it's a huge country full of history, off road fun, high snow capped mountains and beautiful green meadows and a people who at heart are friendly and just want offer hospitality and make their way in this world as best they can. And just to clarify that holds with both the Muslim Turks and the more westernized Turks.

We also met fellow Overlanders including a young German couple in a Land Rover traveling for a year to Singapore for their honeymoon and a Dutch couple on motorbikes heading for India. All of us agreed the hype around Turkey is unfair.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Last edited:

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

First of all, I agree with you to a certain level. But till there I agree to the fullest.
Yes, most people in Turkey are great, heartwarm people who are just as wonderful as people are mainly all over the world.
And yes, the media do make a picture that is based on facts and such, but isnt the whole story. Which is impossible to get. At least that is what I think.

The moment I will disagree with you, is not suitable for here on this forum. Politics will stay away from here.
That we can talk over by a beer when you arrived here in the Netherlands.

Thank you for putting all of us back on the ground with our feet.

Happy to read more.

Greetings from Robert

Reactions: Polaris Overland

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
First of all, I agree with you to a certain level. But till there I agree to the fullest.
Yes, most people in Turkey are great, heartwarm people who are just as wonderful as people are mainly all over the world.
And yes, the media do make a picture that is based on facts and such, but isnt the whole story. Which is impossible to get. At least that is what I think.

The moment I will disagree with you, is not suitable for here on this forum. Politics will stay away from here.
That we can talk over by a beer when you arrived here in the Netherlands.

Thank you for putting all of us back on the ground with our feet.

Happy to read more.

Greetings from Robert
It will be good to meet and discuss some more

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk