Rank V

Enthusiast III

Pottstown, Pennsylvania 19465, United States
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Royar
Member #

i am looking to mount a tuff stuff alpha to a frontrunner slim line 2 rack but the hard that comes with the alpha wont work and looking at the front runner hard top mounting brackets im not sure i can use the bolts that came with the alpha. any help is appreciated

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
"The hole in the bracket"? Bolts too long? Picture might help. I have an ALPHA but not familiar with the FR rack. The brackets on the alpha need to fit around something. I usually have to acquire different length bolts if there is limited clearance. Four brackets and eight bolts and nuts. Putting them through a hole in the FR rack doesn't sound quite right to me. That said, guess you could drill/ream the hole out some.

Rolando

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Lovettsville, VA
First Name
Roland
Last Name
Woldt
Member #

I think he means putting them through the lower piece of the bracket. I am looking at the photos on FR's website and it seems that you can throw away everything but the lower horizontal piece that goes under the rack itself. If the holes are too small for the Alpha bolts, just drill the hole a bit larger.

Either way -agreeing with FishinCrzy- you need to set the tent on the roof rack, and then add the bracket from the bottom, so that it goes around the slat of the roof rack. The lower brackets of the tent were pretty wide, so maybe it is worth to have a second look at the width of the roof rack slats and if they fit into the bracket that was shipped with the tent before you spent more money on the FR brackets (and use just pieces of it).

I have the Alpha 2 and added some security brackets (from wheeleveryweekend.com), and the Alpha rails are a bit wide, so I used the Alpha bolts and brackets and added the two security brackets in addition to this - for those I had to grind down the heads of the M8s to have a washer fit into the channel to make up for the width of the channels (my roof rack has three horizontal bars, so the tent is secured in three places). However, the bolts that came with the tent carry the majority of the work, because the channel material is a bit soft and regular bolts will add too much pressure/bend the channel easily

IMG_0124.jpg