Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
I was just watching some videos on this last night. I do not normally carry a Dutch oven with me, but I am still interested in learning how.

Reactions: KC2BUN

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I was just watching some videos on this last night. I do not normally carry a Dutch oven with me, but I am still interested in learning how.
Ive had the 12 for a long time and my wife just got me the 8 for my birthday. Now that we are going to have a trailer I will be bringing the 8. Ill post in a bit how it comes out.

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
I have a Griswold 8 Dutch oven I’m working on right now. I had to run it through the self clean function on the oven yesterday so I can start over. I have a decent collection of cast, most of it is no name.

Reactions: Kent R

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I learned a long time ago about he 12" heat but this 8" is tough, work in progress

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Well the small 8" oven worked the best it was actually easy to adjust the heat and the bread turned out perfect. This is going to be a huge hit on trips.

IMG_5058.JPG

The 12" worked ok but I think it was just to big for the size of the loaf and I needed to add way more coals than what I thought.

IMG_5054.JPG IMG_5056.JPG

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
One last one I promise! I am hooked on the 8" 2qt Dutch Oven it is perfect for two people. Way easier to control the heat than the 12"

IMG_5059.JPG

Reactions: 9Mike2 and Gpschef

jim lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Anacortes, WA
Member #

I'd think controlling the temperature would be really tough! Your outside air temp is a big variable and there is a big area of heat conducting cast iron on the sides. I'm always amazed that people can get this to work at all.

-jim lee

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I'd think controlling the temperature would be really tough! Your outside air temp is a big variable and there is a big area of heat conducting cast iron on the sides. I'm always amazed that people can get this to work at all.

-jim lee
You are sure right on that one, I did one loaf in the 12" and three in the 8". There are so many variables to keeping the heat correct, the wind came up and changed everything. Lots of fun to practice though.

greydog

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque, New Mexcio
First Name
Hugh
Last Name
Bryce
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KA5KLX
Try digging a hole just deep enough to sit the dutch oven in and slightly larger than its diameter and then coals in the hole and some on top and see how that works . It is how I have made biscuits
for years it wont take long so the first time might be a wash but keep trying and you will get the timing down pretty fast.

Reactions: 9Mike2 and Jedi

Jedi

Rank VI
Staff member
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Arlington, WA, USA
First Name
Brie
Last Name
McClory
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6JDI
Cobbler, pizza, bread... there is so much good stuff that comes from a dutch oven.

Reactions: B-R

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I've just started using mine more and more after I learned I could flip the lid over and set it on some coals and use it for a skillet of sorts . Not that I need a reason to buy more gear but this set up looks very versital , paired up with a jet boil my camp cooking gear is way more compact now

https://shop.lodgemfg.com/cook-it-all/

Last edited:

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Explorer I

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

Kent R- that is some excellent looking bread! I normally have one or two with me on every outing but use the 8 inch the most. It holds one box of Jiffy cornbread perfectly. I find that keeping the heat on the bottom lower as the bottom burning is the biggest risk in my mind.

If you have never watched the Kent Rollins videos definitely check those out.

Reactions: Dave K and Kent R

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
Kent R- that is some excellent looking bread! I normally have one or two with me on every outing but use the 8 inch the most. It holds one box of Jiffy cornbread perfectly. I find that keeping the heat on the bottom lower as the bottom burning is the biggest risk in my mind.

If you have never watched the Kent Rollins videos definitely check those out.

I like Kent Rollins. I have been watching his videos with my wife for a couple weeks now.

Reactions: Boort

overland_squirrel

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Simi Valley, CA
Member #

I've just started using mine more and more after I learned I could flip the lid over and set it on some coals and use it for a skillet of sorts . Not that I need a reason to buy more gear but this set up looks very versital , paired up with a jet boil my camp cooking gear is way more compact now

https://shop.lodgemfg.com/cook-it-all/
Wife just had this under the tree for me. I’ll be out in a couple of days, can’t wait to use it.