Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
I'm planning a trip to North America. It probably won't happen for a couple of years.

I'd like to have a good idea of what my itinerary might be as it will help with visa applications and I also don't want to waste my limited time in the US.
I have a couple of events that I plan to attend, in Oregon, either end of August, but not a lot within the month itself.
By the time I get there I plan to have spent some time in Western Canada and Alaska

I'm after ideas on where I might go Overlanding in the Northwest in August.
Nothing too extreme.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Bend Oregon is great to see and is surrounded by everything from lush green forests to high desert (and volcanic landscapes).
Eastern Oregon has a lot of possibilities and is mostly desert. Same goes for Eastern Washington.
The Cascade mountains from Washington down through Oregon and into California provide a nice wooded experience.
August should be warm (by our standards, probably not yours) and dry (26-37C days and 10-15C nights I am guessing). September is generally a little cooler with nice crisp nights (and less bugs). Though bugs are really not an issue in these parts.

You will need some form of "pass" to access some of the areas. I have never been asked to show my passes but always carry them just in case. They are not expensive, all things considered, and one of us locals can help you get sorted on them.

We are pretty lucky to have a lot of different climates/ecosystems within a few-ish hours drive; so where folks point you depends on what you want to see. Oh yeah, our ocean beaches are generally cooler, windier and the water is frigid.

Casey LaDelle is a rescue/tow truck driver in Bend, his videos show the range offered down there.
Soft Roading the West has a lot of videos in the Oregon Cascades and Bend-ish area.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shahn and M Rose

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
I agree with @Ubiety comments above, both Washington and Oregon offer an abundance of climates and terrain to explore. the WABDR )Washington Backcountry Discovery Route Washington Backcountry Discovery Route (WABDR) Map & Information runs north/south through the middle of Washington from border to border has plenty of jumping on/off points and is generally easy to traverse in later summer months such as August when the mud has dried up. Plenty of different enviornments are on that route with lots of camping options and some great views of our mountains and countryside. The puget sound area offers a lot of good experiences, but is a bit low on the off road travel options other than some forest service/logging roads that can take you up to some good views. San Juan Islands and the Olympic Penisula are other unique environments to explore. When you get a better idea of how much time you are going to spend in the NW and perhaps a list of items you want to see, post here and we can get you some local advice or hints to get the best experience with the time you have. Should you get up into the NW corner of Washignton my wife and I would be happy to show you around some local areas or run a few sections of the WABDR or other trails.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
The Northwest is pretty large, and so is Oregon. Not knowing exactly where you need to be in Oregon at the end of the trip makes it hard to give advice. August is typically hot and dry east of the cascades. Fire bans will be in place for most of the northwest at this time of year with travel restrictions in some areas as well (depending upon heat and moisture). Another thing to consider is weather or not a access permit is needed for the area you want to explore.

I am pretty sure you want to stay out of the Oregon/Washington/Idaho deserts since you get enough of that back home. I would look at the cascade mountains of Oregon and Washington, the Sawtooth Mountains of Idaho, or heck, bomb up here to NE Oregon and check out Hells Cannon. I would also recommend heading to Northeastern Washington and Northern Idaho for some spectacular scenery and high lake adventures. @Sandpoint Steve has a couple of nice routs up there to check out (Roman Nose stands out as an interesting trip). Also check out the maps on OB1 for trails and routs through out the Northwest.

Be sure to hit up Edd and @whiskey7backroads when you get out here… maybe we can do a group POTA/SOTA run while you are here.

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
The Northwest is pretty large, and so is Oregon. Not knowing exactly where you need to be in Oregon at the end of the trip makes it hard to give advice. August is typically hot and dry east of the cascades. Fire bans will be in place for most of the northwest at this time of year with travel restrictions in some areas as well (depending upon heat and moisture). Another thing to consider is weather or not a access permit is needed for the area you want to explore.

I am pretty sure you want to stay out of the Oregon/Washington/Idaho deserts since you get enough of that back home. I would look at the cascade mountains of Oregon and Washington, the Sawtooth Mountains of Idaho, or heck, bomb up here to NE Oregon and check out Hells Cannon. I would also recommend heading to Northeastern Washington and Northern Idaho for some spectacular scenery and high lake adventures. @Sandpoint Steve has a couple of nice routs up there to check out (Roman Nose stands out as an interesting trip). Also check out the maps on OB1 for trails and routs through out the Northwest.

Be sure to hit up Edd and @whiskey7backroads when you get out here… maybe we can do a group POTA/SOTA run while you are here.
There aren't any deserts here in Tasmania, our climate is similar to the PNW, currently with lots of snow here this winter. There are plenty of deserts on the list elsewhere in the US though.

The rough route plan, at this stage, takes me to Tuktoyaktuk in late June/early July then back via AK and Vancouver BC at the end of July. Bend OR at the end of August/early September. Astoria for the 2nd Weekend in September (not Overlanding) then eastwards.

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
I agree with @Ubiety comments above, both Washington and Oregon offer an abundance of climates and terrain to explore. the WABDR )Washington Backcountry Discovery Route Washington Backcountry Discovery Route (WABDR) Map & Information runs north/south through the middle of Washington from border to border has plenty of jumping on/off points and is generally easy to traverse in later summer months such as August when the mud has dried up. Plenty of different enviornments are on that route with lots of camping options and some great views of our mountains and countryside. The puget sound area offers a lot of good experiences, but is a bit low on the off road travel options other than some forest service/logging roads that can take you up to some good views. San Juan Islands and the Olympic Penisula are other unique environments to explore. When you get a better idea of how much time you are going to spend in the NW and perhaps a list of items you want to see, post here and we can get you some local advice or hints to get the best experience with the time you have. Should you get up into the NW corner of Washignton my wife and I would be happy to show you around some local areas or run a few sections of the WABDR or other trails.
That's good information. And knowing about the permit is always better in advance.

Reactions: Ebbs

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

King County, Washington, United States
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

I'm planning a trip to North America. It probably won't happen for a couple of years.

I'd like to have a good idea of what my itinerary might be as it will help with visa applications and I also don't want to waste my limited time in the US.
I have a couple of events that I plan to attend, in Oregon, either end of August, but not a lot within the month itself.
By the time I get there I plan to have spent some time in Western Canada and Alaska

I'm after ideas on where I might go Overlanding in the Northwest in August.
Nothing too extreme.
Are you looking for destinations, routes, both?

There is so much public forest land in Oregon/Washington you could spend your entire life exploring it and never see it all.

The “discovery routes” are a good place to start.

The WA BDR is an excellent easy route.

The OR routes can be a little more tricky depending on the particular leg.

Both are 100% worth it. (Except possibly the section of the OR route around Christmas Valley.)

Happy to help with specifics if I can!

Ebbs

Rank VI

Influencer II

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Eberhardt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0JBH
Service Branch
Air Force 02-18
There aren't any deserts here in Tasmania, our climate is similar to the PNW, currently with lots of snow here this winter. There are plenty of deserts on the list elsewhere in the US though.

The rough route plan, at this stage, takes me to Tuktoyaktuk in late June/early July then back via AK and Vancouver BC at the end of July. Bend OR at the end of August/early September. Astoria for the 2nd Weekend in September (not Overlanding) then eastwards.
The thing about the PNW is... The climate is extremely varied depending on where you are... The cost can be 50'sF and wet, think of a rain forest , but had over the coastal range and see a dry but mostly cloudy 70F degree day, then cross the cascades and it could be clear, over 90F, and aird in the high desert.
Definitely not trying to diminish any plans, just most people outside the PNW really don't understand that, and think of Seattle or Portland when someone says PNW.

I h have a plan to hit tuk by my 45th birthday (3 years) I lived in Anchorage for 3 years and drive the alcan 5 times and one ferry ride. Easily my favorite driving I've seen vet done.

As for your trip, how much time are you planning on spending in Oregon? There's so much to do and it is bigger than most expect. Alvord desert is a big salt flat in the SE of Oregon with the Steens mts, the Oregon coast is amazing to to bottom, Bend area is phenomenal, the Willowas and shake River area(NE) are amazing as well. Imo try the Columbia river drive is great, but better from the Washington side(slower but better looking AT Oregon than looking at Washington lol)

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
The thing about the PNW is... The climate is extremely varied depending on where you are... The cost can be 50'sF and wet, think of a rain forest , but had over the coastal range and see a dry but mostly cloudy 70F degree day, then cross the cascades and it could be clear, over 90F, and aird in the high desert.
Definitely not trying to diminish any plans, just most people outside the PNW really don't understand that, and think of Seattle or Portland when someone says PNW.

I h have a plan to hit tuk by my 45th birthday (3 years) I lived in Anchorage for 3 years and drive the alcan 5 times and one ferry ride. Easily my favorite driving I've seen vet done.

As for your trip, how much time are you planning on spending in Oregon? There's so much to do and it is bigger than most expect. Alvord desert is a big salt flat in the SE of Oregon with the Steens mts, the Oregon coast is amazing to to bottom, Bend area is phenomenal, the Willowas and shake River area(NE) are amazing as well. Imo try the Columbia river drive is great, but better from the Washington side(slower but better looking AT Oregon than looking at Washington lol)
Oregon is great, I spent about 3 weeks there some years ago but didn't get far from the coast.

Currently, the plan is to fill in my time between AK and going to Descend on Bend, a van event (I'm into vans even if the vehicle I have in the US is something else) at the end of August. Followed up by the Recumbent Retreat cycling event (I will be bringing my trike) 1-to 2 weeks later near Astoria.

I cycled the coast in 2016, I didn't get too far inland.

There sounds like there is plenty of things to fill in my time. The aim by that stage is to lower expenses by camping where possible. I'm also trying to avoid major backtracking (not travelling both ways same road long distances).

Because I will be (semi) retired and without a job to tie me to home, It is a good idea to have an itinerary. If nothing else it will convince CBP that I will depart at the end of my time.
The limit is 6 months in the USA and 6 months in Canada in any 12-month period on a B2 visa.
I'm also intending to go to Mexico and hopefully Belize within that 12-months as well.