Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edgewood, NM, USA
First Name
Vicki
Last Name
Herst
Member #

Is there something, app or program, that gives trails distinction. Maybe in order of difficulty. Green easy. Black hard. Blue small vehicles only. Yellow ok for large rigs. I’m having a hard time finding something that is labeled for the person that has a big rig and is new to driving it. Prior off roader was a, now seems so little, Colorado ‘16 so this F250 is like driving an elephant. A massive elephant.

Ideas? I’ll be mostly traveling solo and I need to get my experience level up.

I’m seriously considering selling my TT and PU and getting a Jeep but I’m upside down in both at the moment. So hoping you can help me with this.

Thanks!!

Brett L.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Long Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Brett
Last Name
LaForest
Member #

Is there something, app or program, that gives trails distinction. Maybe in order of difficulty. Green easy. Black hard. Blue small vehicles only. Yellow ok for large rigs. I’m having a hard time finding something that is labeled for the person that has a big rig and is new to driving it. Prior off roader was a, now seems so little, Colorado ‘16 so this F250 is like driving an elephant. A massive elephant.

I’m seriously considering selling my TT and PU and getting a Jeep but I’m upside down in both at the moment. So hoping you can help me with this.

Thanks!!
Check out TrailsOffroad.com. Some trails you can view for free, others require a subscription but it's not too expensive for the year.

Reactions: TravelerGAL

mmssierra

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sierra Vista, Arizona 85635, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Mims
Member #

Thanks!!
That is a good question. I use a lot of resources. I probably will not even be able to list them all and there is probably an easier way. Here is my list:

- I use Back Country Navigator - it has different maps you can use. Some are better than others and some having a naming convention that help to identify the type of road. I you wanted to try it out there is a demo version you can download.
- Motor Vehicle Use Maps. You can download PDFs for certain locations but they also have an online map MVUM
- I am kind of an off road book geek :). So, I have a lot of book about adventures and trails. Mostly for Arizona and Colorado.
- These types of books have mostly been replaced by the internet. I will pick an area I want to visit, search google maps for more specific areas and names of roads, and then search for those names or trails.
- FunTreks is also good but currently, it appears they do not have any New Mexico trails list. The authors of the site also have books and maps for sales.
- the youtube channel TrailRecon - how to find trails is good.
- I think the Overland Bound map will turn into something awesome.
- You can always ask members here about trails.
- Also Life Style Overland has documented lots of New Mexico, and other states, trails.
- I also do a lot of scouting, which is very fun for me. I will drive to an area and mountain bike or walk it.
- In Arizona, maybe New Mexico, and maybe other western states, the National Forest service has a forest service road naming convention as:
road number, as follows:

• N F X, a single digit road is likely to be graded gravel or even paved
  • N F XX, two digits indicates a good road at least for the first few miles from pavement, after five miles don't be surprised if it becomes 4WD
  • N F XXX, three digits will frequently be a rough road or 4WD
  • N F XXXX, four digits is almost always rough, narrow and/or 4WD if it exist at all, expect closures or washouts and no maintenance
Hopefully, this helps and little bit and is not information overload (I tend to do that).

TravelerGAL

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edgewood, NM, USA
First Name
Vicki
Last Name
Herst
Member #

Thanks. I’ve seen the books. They look amazing but none for NM trails. Overload of info, nope, I’ll be checking out everyone that is listed here. I have the Gaia free and may be updating soon. I’ve also looked into the Garmin but man $$$$ and reviews 50/50. I’m seriously looking into a Gladiator, maybe Wrangler Unlimited. Just need to wait for a used one to come on the market with the Max Tow Package then I can off road and pull my 26” trailer. If I get the wrangler I won’t even be able to pull the trailer to the lot for trade in. Horse cart thing. Thanks for the many hours if homework.

CCCVagabond

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Coal Creek Canyon, Colorado
First Name
Cory
Last Name
Leistikow
Member #

So I live in Co so Funtrex is great, but I always download the trails into GaiaGPS.
Here are a bunch of trails listed on various sites. I haven’t downloaded them into Gaia yet, but looks to be good ones. Some are even rated

Reactions: mmssierra