Launch Member

Contributor III

Moscow Mills
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Rice
Member #

question gents I bought this trailer ( XL model) on criags list last year hoping to put my RTT on it. After doing more research I am getting worried with the tent, my gear and my wife and I in it I may need to get a stronger axel. My goal is to build a fairly decent off road setup. I have pretty much every goody they make for that trailer and do really like it. I do need to make the rack taller so I can put my annex on for the kids.

question is... think its worth beefing this thing up or does it make more sense to sell it and hunt down an old military setup?

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

looks to be of good quality. You can always add upgrades as of axle, springs to accommodate to heavier weight hauling capacity. Taller tires & rim sizes make for longer wear lasting & easier ride too. One thing to remember is every time you add something to it, that is more weight to the manufactures trailer weight capacity. Roof Top Tents can weight any were of 120lbs to 200 plus lbs. Then gear & other mod's you add will increase quickly to the manufactures weight recommendations.

ShyTRex

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Moscow Mills
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Rice
Member #

looks to be of good quality. You can always add upgrades as of axle, springs to accommodate to heavier weight hauling capacity. Taller tires & rim sizes make for longer wear lasting & easier ride too. One thing to remember is every time you add something to it, that is more weight to the manufactures trailer weight capacity. Roof Top Tents can weight any were of 120lbs to 200 plus lbs. Then gear & other mod's you add will increase quickly to the manufactures weight recommendations.
thats what Im worried about... the tent weighs 275 plus my fat ass and the wifes fine ass...

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

like I said you can up grade your axle & your springs, but I suggest tires & rims. Their nothing wrong with what you have, small modification are needed. Example 3500lb axle & springs would run about 170.00 You might want to add new hangers to fit the springs.

Some of us are never happy with what we start with or buy anyhow, that is when we fabricate & modify our trailers. Me I done a total ground up modified rebuilt trailer frame from a Harbor Freight Super Duty trailer & a tub kit. Build it & make it fit "your" needs. Theirs nothing wrong what you have.

Last edited:

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

The page on your trailer says Gear Capacity: 1,000 lbs.

Most military trailers--if thinking about one like an M416 or Bantam, the most typical Jeep style trailers--are 1/4 ton trailers, meaning 500 lb capacity. They weren't really meant to have overhead racks and tents, either, but a lot of guys do it.

That page also shows a blog post from Sonny in Albuquerque with a rack and RTT on his Space trailer, so someone is doing it. Might want to try and get hold of him to see how it's holding up over the road, or better yet get hold of Space trailer people to see what they think of your possible upfit plans. Personally, I'd think the Space trailer was too light for RTT use long term.

Whatever trailer you end up using, you'll also have to figure in the weight of the rack and platform itself.

My trailer, with a cargo capacity of over a ton, with a gross vehicle weight of 3275, has a Dexter torsion axle rated for 2500 lbs, which has proven to be more than enough so far, with RTT, big awning, and a ton of gear as cargo. But it was designed with a rack and RTT in mind, too.

xv2-gear-aerial_2223-700.jpg

Last edited:

ShyTRex

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Moscow Mills
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Rice
Member #

So I spoke to Todd @ Space Trailers today.... REALLY nice guys. Did you know the guys who own Space invented roller blades!!! crazy.. anyway they gave me some specs on the trailer. Sounds like they make an offroad version now that has a firmed up base as well!
Looks like for about a grand I can get 3x 15 inch wheels with new tires, 3x longer space bars( top rack) and the upgraded frame and torsion axel.. right now my frame is made from 1 1/4 inch steel bar the new one is much more robust ( pics below)
I'm thinking this gives me the height I need and makes it much more sturdy over all. Going to see if I can drive up and get it installed soon! its about a 10 hour trip from here to Minnesota I think i'll see if I can find any routes that allow for some camping along the way... take a 3 or 4 day weekend and maybe take the dog with me. Anyone know of any good camping spots between St. Louis and Minnesota?

Attachments

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

If you can beef up the existing frame (that's if you already have it) by adding more metal then go for that with heavier axle & springs & hangers. Like I said tires 7 rims will make for a better ride. Add shocks will only increase the ride better, especially on them wash board dirt roads. But if you didn't purchase this yet, then go for the heavier frame & other upgrades. Road shown a prime example of gear & how much can be used. Like I said before make this "for you" & the intended use.

ShyTRex

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Moscow Mills
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Rice
Member #

Another question on this setup..
I'm thinking about adding in This water tank I wil probably put it in the lid section in front. Right around the curve... trying to decide do I cut a hold in the top of the lid for filling the tank and run silicone around the hole or mount it somewhere else.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Another question on this setup..
I'm thinking about adding in This water tank I wil probably put it in the lid section in front. Right around the curve... trying to decide do I cut a hold in the top of the lid for filling the tank and run silicone around the hole or mount it somewhere else.
For little more money you can get a water tank meant to be mounted like you want that will be more efficient at use of space than the one you're thinking about.
One link is here: http://www.plastic-mart.com/category/33/rv-water-tanks?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_JPc-Ker2QIVFRuBCh19qQAkEAAYASAAEgKI6fD_BwE
There are all sorts of shapes and sizes available, from ones that fit over a wheel well inside, to wide and flat under false floor, to those you put under the frame.

No matter what you end up using, I'd be leery, personally, of having an outside fill cap that someone might mess with. Again, ask the trailer mfg. what they think about cutting a hole in their shell, or if they have filler placement suggestions.