kwschnei

Rank 0

Contributor II

Vermont, USA
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Schneider
I'm brand new to trailers and solar, and am hoping someone can check my setup so that I'm not about to do something stupid. I've got a Taxa Woolly Bear (2021) that I'm going to expand to a dual battery (parallel) system on. Everything in the trailer is wired for 12V DC - no AC and I'm not anticipating a need to change that. My needs are pretty light and I'm more interested in extending time to depletion on the batteries with solar instead of being able to fully recharge them.

My goal is to have a system that I can charge either with shore power or a solar panel depending on what's available. My current plan is to tie together the input from the 7-wire and an on-board battery charger and plug that into a DC-DC charger that will also accept the input from the solar panels. Then the DC-DC charger is attached to the first battery in the bank. Is this the right way to go about doing this? Is there a better/cheaper way to do this?

Additionally, I'd love recommendations for a power cutoff switch to install between the batteries and the trailer's power panel to completely kill power during storage to avoid parasitic drain from the control panel.

Here's the shopping list I've got (about $450 in parts, excluding a new battery box and second battery):

AC port plug: NOCO - AC Port Plug - GCP1
Battery charger: NOCO - 1-Bank 10A On-Board Battery Charger - GENPRO10X1
DC-DC battery charger: Renogy 40A DC-DC Battery Charger with MPPT
Solar panel: 100W Portable Solar Panel

diagram.jpeg