Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

I have no idea what happened, but it's really bad and I want even get rid of it and reaplce with box like Zagers., but no guarantee that would not happened again as it's Aluminum box. I washed and scraped with brush, nothing helped.
Has anyone similar was an issue with aluminum boxes, or maybe Zarges uses hi quality finish on the box so it would not do it?

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
Aluminium (Aluminum), believe it or not, is one of the most corrodable metals. Usually, a thin layer of that corrosion coats the metal and protects it from further corrosion making it nice and silver.
Repeated rubbing strips this aside, causing more corrosion and the grey residue you see.
You need an acid to dissolve it. Recommendations online are vinegar and lemon juice, but an acid product from the hardware or automotive store might be faster.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I have no idea what happened, but it's really bad and I want even get rid of it and reaplce with box like Zagers., but no guarantee that would not happened again as it's Aluminum box. I washed and scraped with brush, nothing helped.
Has anyone similar was an issue with aluminum boxes, or maybe Zarges uses hi quality finish on the box so it would not do it?
is it just the appearance that has you concerned? aluminum will oxidize, but that doesnt affect its integrity. metal will rust and plastic will get gouges and scrapes, so pretty much any material used will end up with blemishes. if its just for the sake of appearances, you can get an aluminum cleaner at an automotive store and then degrease it well afterward and apply either a wax or a spray laquer and that should keep it looking nice without having to buy an expensive one.

look at campers that have aluminum trim around the roof and you will see black streaks running down the sides. you see this a lot on white cargo trailers that have aluminum trim at the top. if you use the aluminum cleaner on it and apply a coat of wax, it will stop a lot of the discoloration from happening

Reactions: phlfly