King County, WA, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Aurich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WREY362
Welcome @ezz! Looks like we are neighbors. I have been on excursions with both kinds of vehicles and so whatever you get, hope to see you on the trails! I think we need another Western Washington group run this spring.

Reactions: ezz

ezz

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Redmond, Washington, United States
First Name
Mohammad
Last Name
Abuelezz
Welcome @ezz! Looks like we are neighbors. I have been on excursions with both kinds of vehicles and so whatever you get, hope to see you on the trails! I think we need another Western Washington group run this spring.
Thank you, I would like to be part of the community. Looking forward to see you

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
@ezz & @outside.perception, just noticed that we are not far from being neighbors also, We are up on Camano Island, about an hour north of King County. Spring is on its way, snow is starting to clear in the hills, defiantly time for some trips. Check the calendar and/or the Rally Point tabs (the Rally Point has a filter so you can just see the ones in the NW) from time to time to see what events are being planned in the Northwest. There are a handful over the next few months up on there now. Anyone can set up a Rally Point for their own events.

Mohammad, if you go Toyota there is a very good repair shop called Torfab in Everett, they work mainly on Landcruisers, but also do four runners and Tacomas.

To add lockers to a Jeep, electric and air lockers are a similar price and can be found from around $750 to $1,100 each depending on brand plus about $400 to install (air lockers will also need a compressor if you don't already have one) Yukon makes a lower priced unit, and ARB at the high end. If adding lockers, and larger tires then re-gearing at the same time is cost effective. I have Randy's Ring & Pinion in Everett do all my differential work and have been very happy, Michael at the service counter is very knowledgeable. A lot of people find there rigs very capable with just a rear locker, and that can be a good place to start if on a budget, add the second one later if needed.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Thanks, do you know what will be the cost of installing after market air or electric lockers?
$1000 for an air locker, 650 for autolockers. With gear replacement, $3500-4500 easy.

I have a guy in Tallahassee that might drop in a Yukon Spartan locker for me. But I'd like to regear to 4.88, so I'll take it to a gearage shop.

Wildcard

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

West Grove, PA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Lindsay
Member #

My 2 cents, either are fine vehicles and if you are smart about modifications, you will have no problems. Both vehicles offer off-road goodies like lockers, so buy those packages. Trust me, you want to keep the vehicle as OEM as possible.

I had Mopars for majority of my life. My TJ for 17 years, a Cummins quad cab for 12, and my challenger for 5 (it met a sad fate). I got rid of my jeep and truck because of 3 kids and the space and ride quality and went to a 4Runner and I love it. It's not better than my jeep, it is just a different vehicle for a different application and part of my life. My truck constantly needed brakes and I had 3 transmissions without actually using for truckly things which bugged me, but my wrangler, besides the starter, the only thing that broke on it were aftermarket parts or wear items because of drive alignments because of 35" tires and the always popular "death wobble". It was my test bed and I was constantly changing things because I lived down the street from Quadratec. But I can honestly say my jeep always got me home no matter what. Now that was two generations ago and I know JKs had their own issues but I have not heard bad things about the new models.

Reliability goes down the drain when you start making modifications. You will wear down bushings and ball joints, and this is to be expected when you adjust angles and add heavy tires. Keep it simple and get what suits you best. I had my wrangler for so long because I lived for going to the beach every weekend solo and going everywhere with the top down rain or shine. It was a purpose built vehicle to tackle any obstacle. And besides having no road manners, it did that very well. Now I am married with three kids and I need more space and I am tired of baking in the sun :smiley: . So my needs changed and I like a solid roof and the space of a 4Runner for traveling and being more independent for longer periods of time with my comfort stuff.

I know this is apple to oranges since your looking at trucks, both are still good choices, but at the end of the day, you ask yourself, what do you want the vehicle to do for you? Jeeps will get you just about anywhere, but you pay for it by sacrificing comfort. Toyotas will take you almost everywhere, but will save your back. There is no unicorn out there, so decide whats best for you and good luck.

Reactions: MOAK and ezz

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
200000 miles? Even a 3 year old truck which they are not, would have to average over 5,000 miles a month. Wow! Hats off to them. LOL !![/QUOTE]
Yeah, the guy on the Gladiator forum that’s put that many miles crisscrosses middle America following big-rigs carting windmill parts for work. It was definitely impressive to hear his mileage after that first year.
[/QUOTE]

I just read that he didn't quite get to 200000 miles, yet. But he did put about 100000 in his first year and seemed on track to continue it, but than changed jobs and now has like 130000 on it. Still impressive in that first year.

shansonpac

Rank V

Traveler III

Bakersfield, CA, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Hanson
Member #

Hello All,

I just moved to the US, I am confused between Toyota Tacoma and Jeep Wrangler for weekend off-road/overlanding

This would be a second car, but I will use it day to day.

I would like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks in advance
I have no experience with the Tacoma, but love my Rubicon. Highly capable even as stock, with OEM lockers and sway bar disconnect. I feel very capable in this rig, and it has enough power to pull my Expedition trailer.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Wrangler is an SUV, Tacoma is a pickup.

Wrangler is tougher but the Tacoma is a smoother ride.
Wrangler doors and roof are removable, Toyota No.

Either one will go to the same places. After mardket is huge for both.
I prefer the Jeeps solid axles. Some prefer the Tacoma independant front suspension.

And I really prefer the tall seating position in the Jeep over knee caps in your face Toyota position. Honestly I've hated sitting in Toyota since the 1970s.

But pick the one you like. Fanboys from each side will swear the competition is crap but that is not true. Toyota vs Wrangler. The differences are kinda subtle. Either could be a good choice.

PS, if you want lockers and want to crawl slowly, the Rubicon has no competition. Selectable Lockers front and rear and a 4:1 transfer case let you Tread Lightly with ease.
I do about 24K miles a year with my 2006 Rubicon, it is not expensive to maintaian. Over 240K miles om my 2005 Rubicon, still on the stock suspension, no bushings worn out, no slop.
Brake pads, shocks, u-joints are just routine maintenance. Jeep parts are cheaper than Toyota parts but maintemance and parts are really not an issue. If you use it and maintain it most any 4x4 will make a good overlander. There is no free ride,
Buy what makes ya smile.
Wow, I can’t help but wonder aloud. I had a 2004 and replaced suspension bushings, on average every 65,000 miles. When I sold it most all the bushings had been replaced twice. I got pretty good at using a cheap harbor freight press. I always kept in mind that they wore so quickly because we flexed out quite a bit, as we’d go wheelin a couple times a month. I’m impressed that your 05 is on the originals.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
200000 miles? Even a 3 year old truck which they are not, would have to average over 5,000 miles a month. Wow! Hats off to them. LOL !!
Yeah, the guy on the Gladiator forum that’s put that many miles crisscrosses middle America following big-rigs carting windmill parts for work. It was definitely impressive to hear his mileage after that first year.
[/QUOTE]

I just read that he didn't quite get to 200000 miles, yet. But he did put about 100000 in his first year and seemed on track to continue it, but than changed jobs and now has like 130000 on it. Still impressive in that first year.
[/QUOTE]
Ok then, that’s a little closer to reality. I drove 18 for 25 years averaging about 150,000 a year. Those oversized load guys get a lot less miles than that. And it’s all interstate miles which is much different than commuting or overlanding miles. Thanks for stepping up.

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

I've owned both and at 6'-2" / 230lbs.. Toyota Tacoma is the final choice. Someone said they felt Jeep had more room, I differ on that statement. I feel jammed in the jeep!

The Taco is actually my wife's. I built up from my full-size!

Reactions: Coreymol

Z Adventures

Rank VI
Investor

Pathfinder III

Georgia, United States
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Zeilenga
Member #

Hello All,

I just moved to the US, I am confused between Toyota Tacoma and Jeep Wrangler for weekend off-road/overlanding

This would be a second car, but I will use it day to day.

I would like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks in advance
Welcome from GA and fellow Gladiator owner. You're going to love it!

Reactions: Ubiety

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I would like to have LandCruiser 80 series, but I am worried of not be able to provide the time to maintain it specially I am new to the country.

Thanks for sharing your experience.
Yes, it is a dedication that becomes a hobby. I daily drove mine for the first few years, now it lives in our carriage house, chomping on the bit, awaiting its next adventure. Currently am on our way west in it. GVWR at max and with the trailer we’re tipping the scales at just over 8,000 lbs. driveline performs flawlessly.

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
[/QUOTE]
Ok then, that’s a little closer to reality. I drove 18 for 25 years averaging about 150,000 a year. Those oversized load guys get a lot less miles than that. And it’s all interstate miles which is much different than commuting or overlanding miles. Thanks for stepping up.
[/QUOTE]

So now another guy just posted his odometer at 194k miles on his gladiator, many of which were pulling a smallish box trailer. Looks like he makes and delivers custom furniture all over the US. So now I'm sure my Gladiator will outlast me.