To Keep or Return - Benchmade

• HTML tutorial

Do I keep the combo edge or return for plain edge?

• Total voters

BchBum11511

Rank V
Launch Member

Navigator I

Huntsville, AL, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

I’ve been looking for a plain edge, fixed blade for camping for a few weeks. Finally pulled the trigger on a Benchmade Nimravus 140 that was on sale for 25% off. Website showed exactly what I wanted, so I ordered it Tuesday. It showed up today, and it’s the partially serrated version. I reached out to the company. They don’t have the plain edge version. Is it worth the difference in price to order the plain edge version from another vendor?

Polling the group. Do I keep it or spend $50 more for the plain edge?

Kilo Sierra

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Warren, New Hampshire, United States
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Seaverson
Member #

Depends what you intend to do with it.

Straight edges make cleaner cuts and are easier to sharpen. Partially serrated has more utility but is harder to sharpen.

I usually use a partially serrated Gerber LMF II for the majority of my camp tasks (and batoning wood), but prefer a straight edge for food work. You may also find a straight edge may work better for finer bushcraft work.

If you're planning to just collect, it would be really personal preference.

Reactions: BchBum11511

greatgibbs10

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

WNC
First Name
Melissa
Last Name
Gibson
Member #

I tend to carry a plain blade and a partially serrated blade. So I’d keep it. But that’s just me.

472HemiGTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Prineville. OR
First Name
Allen
Last Name
S
Member #

A serrated edge is not my personal go to, but everyone has their own preference. 25% off a Benchmade is a pretty good deal. They are great knives but if you're not going to use it, even at the discount, it's still a fairly expensive "drawer filler". That would be the deciding factor for me.

Reactions: velo47

BchBum11511

Rank V
Launch Member

Navigator I

Huntsville, AL, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Thanks all for the opinions! I decided I don’t mind the 1.5” serrated part for the discount. Going to keep it. I like it better than my LMF that I keep in an emergency kit. So, it will be going with me more often