Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Marana, AZ, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Duarte
Member #

So i have a 16 F150 XLT 4x4. its running stock wheels/tires and has no lift or level. The current tire size is 245/70R17.

I have been thinking about putting on either 265/70R17 or even going 33in and putting on a 285/70R17. Im shooting for either a KO2 or Ridge Grappler. but open to other tire recommendations.

I'm told that even a 285 will run just fine without rub but it does seem tight.

Anyone here run either of these tire sizes at stock and have any issues? Do you rub at full crank, enough suspension travel when on trails, major difference in gas mileage? Im more concerned for this at the 285 size. Ive read 265 can run just fine on a trail without issue and its plenty of tire for overlanding.

If i do end up going on the 285, i will end up putting a 2in level on the front at some point.

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
what I have always done in the past is find a spot where you can get the vehicle to full flex, measure you re clearance to the edge of the fender and and close suspension or steering components. Any large size tire will be wider so keep that in mind for suspension components on the back side of the wheel, and you can get you tire height from the fender clearance.
It's kind of a pain in the ass but 99.9 times it works perfectly. not all tire sizing will be the same.

Reactions: Waaazooo

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

If you decide to go 285/70R17 that is the size that comes on Gladiator Rubicon and Power Wagon both oem, and there is a good supply of cheap basically new tires take offs out there in that size very inexpensively as a result.

df150

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Canada
First Name
Denis
Last Name
G
Member #

On my 2018 i have winter tires size 265/70 r17, on 17x9 ,-12 offset wheels, stock rims r20, no rub(before level kit). For no winter season i run KO2 285/70 r17 on same size wheels, i did install level kit 2 inch, for it , some say it may fit anyway and some say it will rub on crash bars.
There are wheels/tires calculators available online and lots of info on this subject on F150 forums.