Launch Member

Contributor I

Durango, CO
First Name
Amy
Last Name
McClintock
Member #

I'm heading to the Maze, Canyonlands, UT next week to do the drive from Teapot to the Dollhouse. It's in the Land of Standing Rocks area. The rating on the trail is "difficult" and the ranger recommended that we take chains, given there has been some precipitation lately that might not dry out.

I have BF Goodrich KO2s, LT265/75R16s. What chains do you recommend? I'm looking at the LT Boron Alloy Cam V-BAR Tire Chains, TireChain.com, Amazon.

I also read that the chains might not fit on the front tires as there is a space issue. Have any of you had issues with this?

Thanks!

Last edited:

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I'm heading to the Maze, Canyonlands, UT next week to do the drive from Teapot to the Dollhouse. It's in the Land of Standing Rocks area. The rating on the trail is "difficult" and the ranger recommended that we take chains, given there has been some precipitation lately that might not dry out.

I have BF Goodrich KO2s, LT265/75R16s. What chains do you recommend? I'm looking at the LT Boron Alloy Cam V-BAR Tire Chains, TireChain.com, Amazon, but they are $199 each!

I also read that the chains might not fit on the front tires as there is a space issue. Have any of you had issues with this?

Thanks!
I love my V-Bar chains... as for front chains, I’m unsure as I don’t have your rig

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I love my V-Bar chains... as for front chains, I’m unsure as I don’t have your rig
It is the 'lock to lock' clearance that is the question. When the front wheels are at full turn, the back inside front tire can hit the inner fender or the frame, if the steering lock keeper's are not adjusted correctly. On some fender's, it is also the outer front fender opening. Chevy's with their square fender's are notorious for that. This becomes critical when using a 'up-sized' tire combo, and chains. Especially V-Bar chains that further complicate the clearances involved.

For me, I have up-sized my tire's from 245x75x16 to 285x75x16, so I lost a lot of front clearance. Even with my front raised by tweaking the torsion bars, that full lock problem is still there. Therefore I can only realistically put rear chains on. Depending on what constraints your under for clearance, a 'cable' front chain might work. As mentioned by M Rose, I also like a 'V' style chain for any encounter's with ice. They are much better in it.

If you go with chains, buy the better rubber keeper's to keep them tight. Sometimes it is better to double the keeper's up, especially if rolling at more than a crawl, to avoid the chain 'floating' at speed. Maybe V-links for the rear, and cable for the front? There should not be a issue with....bind/size ratio....as the road surface would be slippery.

Amy DGO

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Durango, CO
First Name
Amy
Last Name
McClintock
Member #

It is the 'lock to lock' clearance that is the question. When the front wheels are at full turn, the back inside front tire can hit the inner fender or the frame, if the steering lock keeper's are not adjusted correctly. On some fender's, it is also the outer front fender opening. Chevy's with their square fender's are notorious for that. This becomes critical when using a 'up-sized' tire combo, and chains. Especially V-Bar chains that further complicate the clearances involved.

For me, I have up-sized my tire's from 245x75x16 to 285x75x16, so I lost a lot of front clearance. Even with my front raised by tweaking the torsion bars, that full lock problem is still there. Therefore I can only realistically put rear chains on. Depending on what constraints your under for clearance, a 'cable' front chain might work. As mentioned by M Rose, I also like a 'V' style chain for any encounter's with ice. They are much better in it.

If you go with chains, buy the better rubber keeper's to keep them tight. Sometimes it is better to double the keeper's up, especially if rolling at more than a crawl, to avoid the chain 'floating' at speed. Maybe V-links for the rear, and cable for the front? There should not be a issue with....bind/size ratio....as the road surface would be slippery.
I think I'll be ok in the front with my new bumper. I have the 265/75R16s so I didn't need to do the heat mold, thus have the space stock tires would have. V style it is! Really helpful. Thanks!

Reactions: Desert Runner

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

v bar chains, just on the rear will work fine, if you need them turn around and come out, i carry 4 but I have never chained up the fronts
ps, if you do need to chain up the fronts...... steer within the restricted clearance

Amy DGO

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Durango, CO
First Name
Amy
Last Name
McClintock
Member #

How did your trip turn out, @Amy DGO ?
It was a great success! Xman (my Xterra Pro4X) and my spotter, Cindiman, did great. The area is stunning, which we not only explored via the road, but we hiked about 25 miles deep into the wilderness. A trip to remember!

Attachments