Tire Carrier: Driver or passenger side?

• HTML tutorial

What side is your spare tire carrier mounted on?

• Total voters

stickel

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Las Vegas, NV
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Stickel
Member #

Alright, I've searched but my Google-foo isn't as strong as I'd like for this topic. I'm curious, for those of you with rear bumper tire carriers which side is your spare tire mounted on and which way does it swing out? For bonus points, why did you choose that side?

I'm leaning towards having it mounted on the driver's side for increased visibility when shoulder checking lane changes. Of course, the drawback being there's even more weight on that side of the vehicle (which usually has more weight on it already in North America).

Horse Soldier

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Louisville Ky
First Name
B
Last Name
Davis
Member #

O3 Rubicon the tire is in the middle and swings to the passenger side. Add a camera to the back for visibility.

stickel

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Las Vegas, NV
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Stickel
Member #

O3 Rubicon the tire is in the middle and swings to the passenger side. Add a camera to the back for visibility.
Yeah, I’ll have to find out if ARB (or anyone else for that matter) makes a rear camera relocation kit that’ll work with my bumper and Land Cruiser.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
Interesting. Are you seeing the left offset on trucks mostly or all type of vehicles?
Both trucks and rear hatch style vehicles. It's mostly personal preference. I would think a van with two doors having the ability of opening a door without swinging the tire would be a advantage.

Horse Soldier

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Louisville Ky
First Name
B
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Yeah, I’ll have to find out if ARB (or anyone else for that matter) makes a rear camera relocation kit that’ll work with my bumper and Land Cruiser.
If you can get a piece of square tubing and extend up above the tire and add the camera and a work light. This is what I did and it works great, the feed is viewed though the rear view mirror that I got on Amazon.

JohnC

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Clovis , ca
Member #

For my home made tire carrier i preferred the hinge side on the drivers side so when i am parked at a curb i can load from the passenger side without having to go around the tire carrier when its open.