Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Bwlch-y-ddar, Oswestry, Wales, UK
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Homer
Member #

With the COVID-19 isolation instructions to follow I find that I have time around the place to get around to the "just jobs" that get pushed to the back. I can still get most of the minor parts that I need from eBay.

JOB LIST :

Adapt and fit the new frontrunner roof bars to the RSI canopy
Renovate and fit the 2M awning (which has been in the garage for over a year)
Remove the temporary racking in the rear, replace the phenolic plywood floor over the drawers
Minor improvements to the rear underfloor battery setup. Upgrade capacity to 88AH and add dedicated cables and socket for the external diesel heater
Finally fit the trailer electrics into the ARB rear bumper set up after only 2 years !

What jobs are you guys doing with the enforced spare time ?

Attachments

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

reading mostly.... about overlanding sometimes....
this one is a great history of discovery in the PNE, with a chapter on pandemics from 260 years ago.

Swit-River.jpg

Reactions: SMHinthewild

SMHinthewild

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Homer
Member #

Yes - I am going back over the old photos and videos, throwing a few on to Instagram. I guess by the time we get back out the summer will have passed.
Take care and stay safe Bill

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hi,
Yes, doing some jobs on the rig which I wanted to do since some time like upholstering of the seats, some electrical wiring, new radio and so on. Beside that reading and researching about new overlanding destinations, texting with other 4x4 enthusiasts and going through the harddrive with photos of trips in the past. Beside that, registered myself on platforms where organisations are searching for people who could help to absorb the demand of additional workload in various areas in these days, because the support and commitment of each and every one of us is required in the current crisis. Let´s stick together!
Cheers, Bjoern

SMHinthewild

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Homer
Member #

The sheep farmers here have no students to help with the birth of the lambs. I am now an emergency health worker but for birthing sheep ! - Not quite an overlanding emergency but essential community work all the same :mask:
Stay safe Bjoern and lets look forward to getting out again soon.

Sheep.jpeg

Reactions: El-Dracho

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
The sheep farmers here have no students to help with the birth of the lambs. I am now an emergency health worker but for birthing sheep ! - Not quite an overlanding emergency but essential community work all the same :mask:
Stay safe Bjoern and lets look forward to getting out again soon.

View attachment 146848
Hi,
That´s also an interesting "job" - any basic qualification necessary for that?
Stay safe!

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
I was hoping to get caught up on some "Honey-Do's" along with getting a few things finished up on the van. Then, this happened:

A friend's wife who works at a small local hospital was tasked with finding outside sources of PPE for the hospital personnel. They were particularly short on face shields. What she found was that everything was either sold out, on back order for several months, or extremely expensive (in one case, 7 times the normal cost!!!). She began talking to family, friends and neighbors about her dilemma. What happened next was pretty amazing.... Within a little over a week, she had gathered a group of current and retired first responders (myself included), nurses, doctors and local business owners, along with their family members to hand-make protective face shields. Using donated time, money, supplies, and an empty office space, the group began producing medical grade protective face shields that can be cleaned, disinfected and re-used. As word got out the local media did a story on what the group was doing. This caused a flood of requests from other local hospitals, nursing homes and home health care workers, many of whom had very little, if any, in the way of PPE.

IMG_4895.JPGIMG_4891.JPG
Unfortunately, it's very slow going as everything is being done by hand. Additionally, huge precautions are being taken to screen volunteers, disinfect surfaces, separate workers and work stations, Etc. We are currently producing around 2,500 shields a day with a goal of being able to double production as we find ways to streamline the process.

Today, I put "The Beast" to work... We picked up 15,000 pieces of foam strips that will be used in the production of the shields.
IMG_4882.JPGIMG_4883.JPG
This week we will be sending a shipment to a hospital in Alaska that had only a handful. We are also trying to get some out to the hospital cleaning crews, who have basically left to fend for themselves.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

There's another thread here, too, with four pages on:

Reactions: SMHinthewild