DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Thought I would see where a discussion about the nuisances, dangers and beauty of Eastern American wildlife would take us.

Ticks. Annoying and pretty much useless. Never saw one (except on a farm dog and deer) until 2006 when I went to Carman school for the railroad in Georgia. First one I ever scene and first time I ever had one attach to me. (I spent my entire childhood with the woods as my backyard to boot and spent hours running, rolling, and immersed in it)

Then we got this guy (he passed 2 Decembers ago)
20160218_191500.jpg
He would have so many ticks on him they were uncountable.

But, he was so good at detecting snakes. We have a few rattlesnakes about the woods of Central PA. He would always lead us the right way on a path and always was prepared to protect my son.

He also didn't fear much of anything...so if he was alerted...it was serious.

And Bears. Haven't seen one while hiking in a long while...but a Cinnamon Phase Black Bear really catches your attention. We have seen it quite a few times from the truck going to our favorite fishing hole. But, haven't seen it while exploring the woods.

So with that start...any tips, hints, or popular sighting places for these wonderful animals/insects that we share a world with.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
We have the Elk Herd to view and Bald Eagles are coming back just as fast.

We love searching for Elk and Eagles just as much as we love finding firetowers and geocaches.

We have a nesting pair at our local State Park.

They have flew over my camp a few times.

Awesome birds.

Jkinna

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Anthem, AZ, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Kinnaman
Member #

We had this guy make a web up at our camp. I thought he was awesome...the wife not so much.
View attachment 140802
We had this guy make a web up at our camp. I thought he was awesome...the wife not so much.
View attachment 140802
We had those Around my parents pond. They would build webs between the cattails. My brother ran into one while running away and not looking where he was going. The spider was as big as his hand and sitting on his neck. The screaming was epic. IIRC they are Garden Spiders.
John

Reactions: DevilDodge

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
That one was as big as my palm. Its body was larger than my thumb. I have had bigger there...but that's the biggest I got a pic of.

The zig zag in the web is the coolest web I have seen.

And you are correct. Argiope aurantia, yellow garden spider

Jeff B

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Putnam County, New York, USA
Member #

Pests can really put a damper on a trip. On a recent trip to the coast of Maine, I pulled 40 ticks off of myself and my family's two tents. Another pain to deal with, are fire ants in the south east. My daughter stepped on a hidden hill and was covered in them.

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
Starting with ticks and other bugs...

I treat my pants, shirts, socks, tents and other outdoor gear with Permethrin it is great for keeping bugs off and ticks that make the mistake of getting on your pants will normally die before getting the chance to attach to you. It also works great at keeping misquotes away too. There is no smell, last several washings and does not affect sensitive skin either.

Snakes.
Are pretty easy watch where you step and when you step off a log or big rock look before you step down they like to hide under ledges. Do not touch them. Over 90% of bites happen when people try to pick them up or try to kill them... So simply stay alert and don't touch and leave them alone. Statistics show very few people die from snake bites even after they have been bitten. But they can cause a lot of tissue damage so, it is still good to stay away from them.

Bears and other wild animals.
Very few people are attacked by bears or mountain lions and they are not really much of a risk compared to falling off a cliff or some other outside accident. The best defense against wild animals is bear spray not guns... A gun is my last resort defensive weapon against animals because there is nothing worse than a wounded animal.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Thanks for the reply. I will be getting some Permethrin.

We have been supposedly been having some Mountain Lions wander over to our side of the states. There have been sightings for years. Game commision, of course, denies any of the existence of them. They also did the same about the coyotes for years...but they can not deny them now.

Bears seem to really not be interested in causing us issues...but they do enjoy the people who can not keep there food and trash secure.

We have a pretty good population of fox. Bobcats are around but might as well be ghosts.

We are finally allowed to hunt porcupines. They really enjoy screwing with dogs. The game commision did admit to bringing fishers in. They are porcupines worst enemy.

Raccoons can really cause some scares and issues. They love to play games though.

Although this thread is about how to protect against...it is also about discovering them.

I hope to compile a photo book of each of the animals in our state. Nature is so intriguing. Even when it is pestering and annoying.

MuckSavage

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

South Jersey, NJ, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
McG
Member #

@DevilDodge what I great looking Pup & bless the time ya's shared together!
15 years ago one of my Labs had a triple shot of Lyme, K9 Ehrlicioses & Rocky MTN Potted fever. Treatment was tough but he pulled thru so yeah, ticks suck!
Chiggers....ugh! Awful in there own tight. I once got chiggered up so bad you could see I ad been wearing a backpack. Thousands of itchy red dots all over me except where the tight shoulder straps inhibited there migration across me.