San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Heiman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5LHN
Has anyone used the Badlands winch from Harbor Freight? I like the price compared to similar models but am hesitant because of past experiences with some HF items. Should I spend the few hundred bucks extra on a more reputable brand? Or is it dependable enough. This is an important recovery item, but these days, I'm all about saving as many dollars as I can.

Reactions: JacksonRL

JacksonRL

Rank VII

Educator I

York County, South Carolina, United States
First Name
Jackson
Last Name
Lewis
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Has anyone used the Badlands winch from Harbor Freight? I like the price compared to similar models but am hesitant because of past experiences with some HF items. Should I spend the few hundred bucks extra on a more reputable brand? Or is it dependable enough. This is an important recovery item, but these days, I'm all about saving as many dollars as I can.
Not personally, but my pop has one on his TJ (12k#) and it’s been working great.

Reactions: TxJeeper75

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

A friends one as well. He went with a 5K unit which I thought was rather small. He said "Still better than 6 guys pushing!" 2 years old and only used to pull down trees so far..

I personally don't have one. My tracboards have been all I've needed so far. If I did buy one, I do like my friend did and buy a smaller version.

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
I've had one for just over a year. I've used it several times and it's held up fine for my uses. It seems really well made and I really like the wireless remote.

Walkers

Rank III

Advocate I

Cave Creek, AZ, USA
First Name
Benn
Last Name
Quadineros
I have a 12k unit on my trailer. It works okay, the solenoid pack failed and I had to find a replacement. I wouldn’t use the wireless remote because it has a delay in it that I do not like.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
HF does have some questionable stuff and does have some gems. I like the Utah based offroad recovery YouTube channels (Matt's, TrailMater, etc.) and they are all using the Badlands winches. To me that says something. Good luck with your decision!

TxJeeper75

Rank VI

Steward I

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Heiman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5LHN
HF does have some questionable stuff and does have some gems. I like the Utah based offroad recovery YouTube channels (Matt's, TrailMater, etc.) and they are all using the Badlands winches. To me that says something. Good luck with your decision!
I recently watched MORR latest video, and when I saw him putting one on the big wrecker, I said the same thing.

Reactions: Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I recently watched MORR latest video, and when I saw him putting one on the big wrecker, I said the same thing.
I think Rory (TrailMater) is putting them on his new wrecker and Casey LaDelle out of Bend OR runs them as well. With the offroad recovery folks running them you know that they are not pure garbage.

GunRunnersActual

Rank V

Explorer I

Laurel, MS, USA
First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Watson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WROE242
Service Branch
USMC
My buddy is running the Badlands Apex 12k on his GX. He’s used it several times with no issues. It had no problem pulling my Tundra from a mud hole where I had sank to my frame

Reactions: Ubiety