Thinking of moving near Spokane (eventually)...read on...

• HTML tutorial

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
My wife and I have been trying to figure out where we want to end up once we're empty-nesters (not too far off). Finding the "Goldilocks" of locations is pretty hard as you can imagine, even harder when my wife and I have different ideas about what climate is acceptable. :D I'd love to be off-grid as long as water is available, my wife isn't ready for that kind of living permanently. I love snow and hate the heat, especially when it's humid. My wife hates the snow but probably hates the cold of the Midwest winters more than snow. We have no interest in living in the desert, high desert, or open plains/prairies again. Trees and some semblance of hills or mountains are necessary, both for visual appeal as well as a windbreak. An abundance of outdoor activities year-round is also a necessity. We would be basically buying bare land to build on over time, minimum of 5-10 acres.

We've been to all of the western states to various extents, we've also traveled around the Midwest, New England, etc.

My wife wants land at a relatively reasonable price that is also relatively close to a major city (within a 30 minute drive) or at least decent grocery stores, restaurants, etc. I had brought up the Spokane area before (maybe 1-2 years back) and it came up again today. I've been through Spokane within the past few years and had also spent a little time there probably 30 years ago, so I have a general idea of what it's like on the surface. The climate seems to be pretty close to what I'm wanting, the annual snowfall I'm sure is more than my wife wants but she'd complain about any snow whatsoever because she's weird.

We've found some potential properties NE (near Peone) and NW (near the Spokane River) of Spokane and are thinking about making that area our next travel destination to check out. Those of you that either live near there or have spent a lot of time around there, what do you think of the area?

Are there any other areas with similar climates, amenities/activities, cost of living, and land potential that anyone would recommend other than Spokane? We will not be moving back to California, so don't even try. :) WA, OR, ID, MT, UT, and CO are currently on the list. I'd include WY but I don't think there is an area that is similar without being stupid expensive (Jackson area).

What say ye?

Reactions: Shahn

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
My wife and I have been trying to figure out where we want to end up once we're empty-nesters (not too far off). Finding the "Goldilocks" of locations is pretty hard as you can imagine, even harder when my wife and I have different ideas about what climate is acceptable. :D I'd love to be off-grid as long as water is available, my wife isn't ready for that kind of living permanently. I love snow and hate the heat, especially when it's humid. My wife hates the snow but probably hates the cold of the Midwest winters more than snow. We have no interest in living in the desert, high desert, or open plains/prairies again. Trees and some semblance of hills or mountains are necessary, both for visual appeal as well as a windbreak. An abundance of outdoor activities year-round is also a necessity. We would be basically buying bare land to build on over time, minimum of 5-10 acres.

We've been to all of the western states to various extents, we've also traveled around the Midwest, New England, etc.

My wife wants land at a relatively reasonable price that is also relatively close to a major city (within a 30 minute drive) or at least decent grocery stores, restaurants, etc. I had brought up the Spokane area before (maybe 1-2 years back) and it came up again today. I've been through Spokane within the past few years and had also spent a little time there probably 30 years ago, so I have a general idea of what it's like on the surface. The climate seems to be pretty close to what I'm wanting, the annual snowfall I'm sure is more than my wife wants but she'd complain about any snow whatsoever because she's weird.

We've found some potential properties NE (near Peone) and NW (near the Spokane River) of Spokane and are thinking about making that area our next travel destination to check out. Those of you that either live near there or have spent a lot of time around there, what do you think of the area?

Are there any other areas with similar climates, amenities/activities, cost of living, and land potential that anyone would recommend other than Spokane? We will not be moving back to California, so don't even try. :) WA, OR, ID, MT, UT, and CO are currently on the list. I'd include WY but I don't think there is an area that is similar without being stupid expensive (Jackson area).

What say ye?
Check out the Orofino River Valley in Idaho. Orofino is about 30-45 minutes from Lewiston Idaho. Climate is more like what your wife is looking for, with the feeling of being “away” from the big city. Lewiston is a small city, with all the big city comforts. Orofino is also a small town but has grocery shopping, restaurants, clothing stores, and the like.

Eastern Oregon is a mix of arid desert to the south, and high desert/mountains to the east. La Grande is similar to Spokane as far as climate and beauty. But land isn’t cheap here. It’s also 2 hours to Boise and 2 hours to Tri-Cities Washington for major shopping.

Just a couple of ideas to help (I hope)

Reactions: DRAX and Shahn

jcgraves3

NorthWest Region Member Rep's Portland OR
Investor

Influencer I

Crescent City, Putnam County, Florida, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Graves
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7RJJ

What say ye?
You just described the exact conversation my wife and I had over the last few days. Our kids are adults now, we love the North West climent and we are also looking for a 5+ acre plot of land in the woods / farm we can use as a home base. I have an opportunity to work remotely, so it frees us to live anywhere. We talked about selling the house and buying a nice travel trailer. We just need a home base for us to come back to during the winter season and later build a house on.

Very interesting in what you find out.

Cheers.. John

Reactions: M Rose

Ebbs

Rank VI

Influencer II

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Eberhardt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0JBH
Service Branch
Air Force 02-18
I live in Spokane, NW in the Indian trails area... you'd definitely be looking further out for 5+acres. I originally looked at 9 Mile which is NW along the Spokane River and it's nice, though still don't know about 5+ acres (my search was more around the 1acre) I'd definitely be looking at either going SE, NE, or NW of Spokane... and when I say SE and NE I mean N/S of post falls. No idea of $ or plot size, but if I didn't live within walking distance from where I work (VA) that's where I would have bought that way. Though Snow is much heavier over there than it is for us. (Spokane are is at that elevation that seems like when we get a storm, one part gets a foot and another part sees a dusting). Taxes are cheaper in post falls too. Pretty much everything you'll want is in either Coeur D'Alene (15 min east) or Spokane/Spokane Valley.( 15-20) min west.

Might look at the Walla Walla area too...SE Washington W Idaho, NE Oregon is a gorgeous area... I guess all depends on what the definition of " Major City" is. Personally, I wouldn't really call Spokane a major city... Boise would be probably on the small end of that definition for me.

Reactions: DRAX

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
I would say north of Spokane if you are sold on moving here. Just bear in mind that temperatures can swing quite a bit as we are technically high dessert. Also I don't know what your budget is but land and houses here are stupid expensive for what the economy can support (my place was bought for 150 8 years ago and is now valued at 450 and I pay taxes on 350). Outside of town is still cheaper, but not by a lot. Idaho isn't much better. CDA is more expensive than Spokane and Post Falls is right on our heels, also there you have state income taxes and less services. Depending on wich side of center you are politically this can be good or bad, just something to note.
Also another thing to note about undeveloped land in WA, due to drought planning and an effort to keep water in existing wells you will need to pay for a ground water study before permits are issued. Idaho doesn't have this wich can be good, but if this area continues to grow there is a possibility that a well may go dry, or you may face issues with water rights lawsuits etc. There's A LOT of consideration s and planning to make when sinking a well.

Reactions: Ebbs

Mountaintrails71

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Newman Lake, Spokane County, Washington, United States
First Name
David
Last Name
Schlenker
Member #

I currently live in Newman lake. Outside of Spokane next to the Idaho border. I used to live in Orofino and grew up in Colfax near Pullman. I lived in Yakima for quite a few years and that is where my family was from.. I have owned 7 homes and 3 have been here in the SPOKANE area including Suncrest/9 mile. I have owned acreage and currently my home sits on about a half an acre. I have had horses and cattle and chickens etc but I like to leave my house and adventure when I am not working. Lewiston/Clarkston is bad for drugs. those are tiny towns and do not have a lot of businesses. Lewiston does have good restaurants and the fishing is fantastic. Spokane has a lot of homeless. A lot of theft and people here are very rude. We also have a lot of people moving here that want to leave their problemed areas but yet bring their problems with them here. Just saying no town is perfect. I didn’t move here for the town. I hardly go to Spokane for anything. The Spokane area is really spread out and we have lots of areas with the things you need without going into the actual town. North Idaho is very nice but anyplace around here has suffered from the influx of people paying stupid prices for old homes and driving the economy through the roof. we are currently getting quite a bit of snow and all the people who moved here don’t prepare for it.
Good luck.

Ebbs

Rank VI

Influencer II

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Eberhardt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0JBH
Service Branch
Air Force 02-18
Just resurrecting to see if you ever moved?

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
Just resurrecting to see if you ever moved?
Not yet, any move is still at least 2-3 years out right now. Also, we've decided that Oregon is more than likely where we'll move to as we spent a couple of weeks there this past fall exploring areas and visiting family. Wife wants to be closer to family that's in Oregon, I have family in WA, CA and AZ so OR gets us a bit closer to everyone.

Ebbs

Rank VI

Influencer II

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Eberhardt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0JBH
Service Branch
Air Force 02-18
Not yet, any move is still at least 2-3 years out right now. Also, we've decided that Oregon is more than likely where we'll move to as we spent a couple of weeks there this past fall exploring areas and visiting family. Wife wants to be closer to family that's in Oregon, I have family in WA, CA and AZ so OR gets us a bit closer to everyone.
Nice I'm originally from Oregon (Portland area, but I don't claim that anymore lol). I love Oregon, it's such a amazing part of the country! So many options and variations in terrain.

Reactions: DRAX

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
Nice I'm originally from Oregon (Portland area, but I don't claim that anymore lol). I love Oregon, it's such a amazing part of the country! So many options and variations in terrain.
I personally find Bend/Sisters the most attractive area to move to, but my wife doesn't want deserty landscape and rocky ground again. We also looked at the area around Sandy and if not for the weather it would probably be one place we could agree on. To me, Sisters is more of a well-rounded area though the town is a bit small, it's close enough to Bend to not be a big deal.

Anyway, we've got time to figure it out. :)