• HTML tutorial

Explorer I

Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Dutch
Member #

Hi there fellow Mongolia Overland Bound travelers!

As there is no Mongolia section yet, i thought I'll start with a simple thread here to talk about everything and nothing related to Overlanding in Mongolia.

About 30.000 travelers come to Mongolia every year for overlanding. Some via aan agency, others not. Feel free to ask questions about routes and things to see. I am slowly exploring the country.

For those setting up rigs in Mongolia I'll post some of the few shops in Ulaanbaatar providing quality materials.

That's it for now until i collect some of the links and addresses.

Explorer I

Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Dutch
Member #

This post contains repair shops and equipment shops I've discovered till now. To be updated:

Car Doctor in Yarmag district. cardoctor.mn. Though it's the largest repair chain in UB with 6 or so locations, it's worth a look. They provide Cooper, Nanking and BFGoodrich tires. Basic stuff for your car like, filters, oil, recovery gear, and minor stuff. Relatively inexpensive checkups are done here. Positive : Making an appointment is easy, no cheating.

Off-Road Mongolia. This premium shop can be found at the Car Doctor location above. Large shop with maybe all ARB has to offer. Mixed in are some other brands like Thule for roofracks and tents. TRD bashplates. All items can be installed on location. Expect ARB prices plus a little bonus on top.

More to come :

4x4 AllTop
4x4 Patriot
TIC 4x4 and outdoor
Old Man Emu
Kings Shocks
Offroad Adventure
List of available tire brands.

Reactions: El-Dracho

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Thanks for the infos. It's crazy to see how it all developed in Mongolia. In 2010 when I was there for the first time there was basically nothing around overlanding and camping. In 2018 there were already many stores and even a KTM dealer. Does Yak Mobil still build these fantastic overlanding vehicles with carbon cabins?

Explorer I

Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Dutch
Member #

Thanks for the infos. It's crazy to see how it all developed in Mongolia. In 2010 when I was there for the first time there was basically nothing around overlanding and camping. In 2018 there were already many stores and even a KTM dealer. Does Yak Mobil still build these fantastic overlanding vehicles with carbon cabins?
Some rigs are simply outrageous here. Even some fully equipped UniMogs and Iveco's.

As one of the few points of interest in the map i indeed noticed Yak Mobil. However, i don't think it exists anymore. Victim of Covid maybe. Their last FB post was 2 years ago.

KTM is still around. But as with many shops, very low on stock.

I've made my 1st mistake due to that stock issue. As i am in a bit of a hurry i had a roofrack installed. ARB and Rhino had no stock. The shop attached my rooftop tent to it, but the attachment screws are about 50cm away from the nearest access point. Possibly impossible to reach.
Problem I see are corrugated roads, they may unscrew the tent from the rack. Tightening the bolts is only possible if i remove the full rack from the top. This may lead to a bit of a nightmare.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Some rigs are simply outrageous here. Even some fully equipped UniMogs and Iveco's.

As one of the few points of interest in the map i indeed noticed Yak Mobil. However, i don't think it exists anymore. Victim of Covid maybe. Their last FB post was 2 years ago.

KTM is still around. But as with many shops, very low on stock.

I've made my 1st mistake due to that stock issue. As i am in a bit of a hurry i had a roofrack installed. ARB and Rhino had no stock. The shop attached my rooftop tent to it, but the attachment screws are about 50cm away from the nearest access point. Possibly impossible to reach.
Problem I see are corrugated roads, they may unscrew the tent from the rack. Tightening the bolts is only possible if i remove the full rack from the top. This may lead to a bit of a nightmare.
Thanks for the info. Maybe the YAKmobil guys have focussed on thier core business of engineering stuff. You are on site and it would be cool if you could check it out when you get a chance. Thanks.

Explorer I

Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Dutch
Member #

Yes, I'll definitely try to visit them one day if i am in the neighborhood. It's about an hour from my apartment and nothing really interesing in the area, so i don't go there often.

bonnywash

Rank 0

Contributor II

Alaska, USA
First Name
Bonny
Last Name
Kale
Mogolia is so far away but it has amazing history. I admire it and I wish to have a touch of the country.