Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

The midland units are too big. Once you hit 40 W it takes up a lot of real estate and they did away w/ the NOAA weather radio which makes no sense. The BTECH 50X1 is a way better unit in almost every way possible. Check those out before buying another Midland.

Reactions: RN J

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

The Midland MXT500 is just a tad smaller than the Btech 50x1.
The Midland radios also include NOAA weather channels.
However, for the price of the MXT500 I would look at the Wouxon KG-1000g, it's the most capable GMRS mobile on the market at the moment.

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

The Midland MXT500 is just a tad smaller than the Btech 50x1.
The Midland radios also include NOAA weather channels.
However, for the price of the MXT500 I would look at the Wouxon KG-1000g, it's the most capable GMRS mobile on the market at the moment.
The 400 didn't. I couldnt fit the 400 where I was able to fit the btech. I did check the dimensions and you're right so that doesn't make any sense to me.

OkieDavid

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Guthrie, Oklahoma
Member #

I have the 400 and it seems to be working for me so not looking for an upgrade but since the web knows more than I do thought I would ask: The new 500 shows IP66 rating for dust and moisture, how does the competition stack up? When running trips with the windows down the entire inside the truck gets pretty dusty!

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307

Still have to wait for the MXT575 unfortunately.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AGREED. .................At this point anyone wanting a high power GMRS radio, and want's Midlands MXT275 features is in 'stasis' mode. Saw official company ad's on their web-site a little while back then read a OB members update about the release being pushed back til summer. But never heard the reason for the delay. Other model over stock?, At this point, I had already purchased the 275 model. so I am on the sidelines and will be eagerly watching the reviews at the end of summer from those that want the range and newest offering. Especially for those that run the bigger antennas, and do not have to worry about overhead obstructions, in the SW , or the flat plains areas of the USA. Although, let me say the ghost size antenna and High-power setting will be interesting also.

OBLogo-Gold_Outlined_100x.png

Last edited:

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AGREED. .................At this point anyone wanting a high power GMRS radio, and want's Midlands MXT275 features is in 'stasis' mode. Saw official company ad's on their web-site a little while back then read a OB members update about the release being pushed back til summer. But never heard the reason for the delay.
Per an interview I heard with Zac @ Midland, due to a logistics "crisis" in the world today they didn't want to over promise so they advised summer 2022 but he thinks that could possibly move up. Figure roll one model out at a time so the process hopefully goes as smoothly as possible.

Ldstruckn

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Ivins, Utah, United States
First Name
joseph
Last Name
johnson
Member #

Service Branch
US ARMY
I need to get coms on my rig but i have been waiting for something like a garmin overlander with sat and gmrs coms. Ive been waiting a while now so what would waiting for the midland 575 get me that the 500 wont?

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

@Ldstruckn you get all the controls in the mic, that's about it.
The 500 may have a couple of channels (8-14) that can be used to save repeaters, a "Talk Around" feature, and the USB-C port is used for programming.