Grit City Paul

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Tacoma, WA, USA
First Name
GrittyPaul
Last Name
SoGritty
As in . . . the Modular Operational Activity Base. I can't abide "single use" pieces of gear - - usually need to stretch the stuff I own into multiple uses.

I have a smaller motorcycle trailer from a company called Kendon - - it's a two rail trailer that folds and stands upright when not in use. Generally, I use it to haul one of the Buells to track days here in the Northwest, or "rescue" other scooter trash that have bike issues.

Here's a picture of the trailer with the Buells (track day/Sport bike in the foreground, daily commuter behind). . .
1682308661024.png
So, the goal was to modify this trailer so that I can use it for extended camping trips, purely as a base of operations, hence the "Operational Activity Base", naming, and make it so that it's easy to reconfigure between hauling bikes and camping, so "Modular". . . No intent to pull it behind the rig on any trail. . .

So, build a frame, mount some lockable storage boxes, throw on a roof top tent, and call it a day. . .
1682308856160.png
Okay, full disclosure: the above write-up (and photos) I've posted on another enthusiast site - - 10 years ago. . .

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Time Warp ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

But heading out to Moab in a few weeks, so need to shake off the dust and re-assemble the unit. So here it was this morning:
1682309250574.png
All coming together - - a few hours to get it all back together.
1682309582216.png
Deck lid on hinges so I can add stuff into the "well" between the two side boxes.
1682309837581.png
Great place for spare drive shafts, axle shafts, etc.

And all done.
1682310066907.png
Paul

Attachments

Reactions: Advtres and Kross