Independence, Kenton County, Kentucky, United States
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Mullins
Member #

Service Branch
Marine Corps
On new years the wife and I were exploring forestry trails in Eastern KY around Cave Run Lake and on an easy gravel road came upon a large downed tree across the road. Utilizing the winch I was able to drag log out of way and utilize a snatch block to pull to side of trail. You could tell where other vehicles had to turn around.

Always remember, recovery gear is a necessity because you never know when something will try and block your adventures.

Attachments

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Oh man your gonna get some hate on the winch front.
There are sooo many here who belive a set of max Trax and a tow strap is all they need to get by with.

I'm with you my winch has moved some wood too but most importantly It will keep you from breaking ifs parts if you go to the winch when stuck instead of trying to throttle out of everything Thats how CV shafts get broken on ifs trucks.

20191109_144438.jpg

G & J

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Lake Tahoe, United States
First Name
GregAndJulianna
Last Name
W
Member #

I have used my winch for projects like moving/lifting trees way more than for recovery. I usually carry an electric chainsaw depending on where I am going.

I did plenty of axe swinging and two man saw work in my younger years so screw that

Rubyroundhouse

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Independence, Kenton County, Kentucky, United States
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Mullins
Member #

Service Branch
Marine Corps
There are sooo many here who belive a set of max Trax and a tow strap is all they need to get by with.

I'm with you my winch has moved some wood too but most importantly It will keep you from breaking ifs parts if you go to the winch when stuck instead of trying to throttle out of everything Thats how CV shafts get broken on ifs trucks.

View attachment 182258
So true, some might say I could of moved it with a simple tow strap but issue was it was heavy and had to use a snatch block to pull at different angle. All recovery gear is a must. They all have a specific purpose.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

So true, some might say I could of moved it with a simple tow strap but issue was it was heavy and had to use a snatch block to pull at different angle. All recovery gear is a must. They all have a specific purpose.
Yep I dont use the tow strap unless whats being towed has got wheels, my winch can pull 2x more than my truck is capable of on its own and the truck can be anchored to another 4x4, rock, tree or any other suitable land anchor and not worry about blowing the trans or other critical driveline components.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

I have gently tugged a log out of the way with several bounces of a snatch strap. Was way faster than winching***

But I will admit for anyone not actively "wheeling," this is probably the best justification for a winch.

***edit: Way faster especially when you account for all the time at the end of the trip carefully respooling the winch line.

Last edited:

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Gawd...so true.
I cant count the number of fallen trees and debris I've moved with my winch. I can count on one hand how many vehicles I've used it for. Odds are, if I'm stuck, I wont need it. Having a tree fall across the road I needed to drive to go home, made me glad I had it. BTW, I did try to move it with my strap first. Would have been nice to not have to drag the cable out.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Gawd...so true.
I cant count the number of fallen trees and debris I've moved with my winch. I can count on one hand how many vehicles I've used it for. Odds are, if I'm stuck, I wont need it. Having a tree fall across the road I needed to drive to go home, made me glad I had it. BTW, I did try to move it with my strap first. Would have been nice to not have to drag the cable out.
Replace the cable with synthetic and it won't be a chore to use it's way lighter. Much safer if it breaks it won't cut you or someone else in half and synthetic floats.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I almost always bring my chainsaw.

LoL-ing at the too heavy quip. Sounds like a challenge to me.

Reactions: Ubiety

Contributor III

Wyoming, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Williams
On new years the wife and I were exploring forestry trails in Eastern KY around Cave Run Lake and on an easy gravel road came upon a large downed tree across the road. Utilizing the winch I was able to drag log out of way and utilize a snatch block to pull to side of trail. You could tell where other vehicles had to turn around.

Always remember, recovery gear is a necessity because you never know when something will try and block your adventures.
I carry an axe for the situation you describe. A winch has saved my ass, but there's cheaper and lighter ways to solve what you desvribe. I sometimes also carry a machete and a dewalt cordless chainsaw if trees are likely to be an issue.