Launch Member

Contributor I

Chandler, AZ, USA
First Name
Jacob
Last Name
Roberg
Member #

Considering a move to Dallas from AZ, what kind of overlanding/off roading is there in the area? Any decent camping close?

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
There’s a National Grassland near dfw. Ive not been, but have heard good things about it. Lots of state parks about for camping. I’ve been learning about a number of private ranches that allow camping in the Hill Country. It’s similar to dispersed camping, and a few bucks a night. Lots of county roads are dirt, so if you’re exploring it’s better than pavement. many of the Hill Country county roads are not only dirt but have no bridges, so they offer the chance to splash if it’s rained recently.

Reactions: Ogden88

Offroadnutz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Texas/Missouri
First Name
Steven
Last Name
M
Member #

Your best bet for overlanding near north Texas is to head north to Oklahoma and do the OAT. Oklahoma adventure trail. Eastern section of the state is especially nice. Check this thread for some trip reports on the southern and eastern sections.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

There are a number of trails in Hill Country, but nothing remotely exciting.

There are a ton of Jeep groups in the DFW, Austin and especially Houston areas. I am in Lubbock, 6 hours NW of downtown Dallas. Albuquerque is closer than Dallas for me. I go to New Mexico for my off roading fix. I try to take two trips to Colorado per year as well.

As for parks, about 4 hours south of DFW (or as it is locally referred to as "The Metroplex") is Big Bend NP. Terlingua and the area is full of terrific overlanding and off road adventure. Inside the park is Old Ore Road which is a nice easy'ish drive with cool ruins and geo features.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
There are a number of trails in Hill Country, but nothing remotely exciting.

There are a ton of Jeep groups in the DFW, Austin and especially Houston areas. I am in Lubbock, 6 hours NW of downtown Dallas. Albuquerque is closer than Dallas for me. I go to New Mexico for my off roading fix. I try to take two trips to Colorado per year as well.

As for parks, about 4 hours south of DFW (or as it is locally referred to as "The Metroplex") is Big Bend NP. Terlingua and the area is full of terrific overlanding and off road adventure. Inside the park is Old Ore Road which is a nice easy'ish drive with cool ruins and geo features.

@Busaman2013 the Hill Country loop noted above is a nice way to get out and introduce your wife too. Beware the chance of flash flooding if it has rained, otherwise the water at the deepest crossing is about 8 inches.

Renegade

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Texas
Considering a move to Dallas from AZ, what kind of overlanding/off roading is there in the area? Any decent camping close?
Not much right near DFW (other than LBJ Grasslands), but some great places elsewhere in Texas, Big Bend, NP, Big Bend SP and Padre Island to start. Then Palo Duro Canyon, and from DFW many places in Oklahoma and Arkansas which are actually closer then Big Bend Area.

Ogden88

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Chandler, AZ, USA
First Name
Jacob
Last Name
Roberg
Member #

Thanks guys! The move to Texas is better for me in almost every way, financially work life balance, friends and every hobby except overlanding. But with you’re help hopefully I can still make overlanding work there. AZ sucks to live lol

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

I enjoyed my time in Az. 5 years working downtown and living just outside of Cave Creek. Wickenburg was close and made it out there often. North out to Strawberry and Jerome or Black Canyon, or south to Bisbee and Tombstone. Mind you, I moved from Seattle to Phoenix. Night and day difference in lifestyle, topography, days of sun, rain... you get it. Did take a year to adjust.

The thing about Az is you can be essentially anywhere in about 5 hours. Most far less. In Texas, if you want to go to the Jeep Jamboree in Palo Duro, its a 9+ hour trip. Texas is big. Back in the day it took 23 hours driving the 55mph speed limit to go from the furthest point west (El Paso) to the furthest point east, just outside Shreveport, Louisiana. Fortunately there are areas wide open that are 85mph with most highway speeds being 75 except inner city drives.

Reactions: Busaman2013

Kgorman

Rank III

Member I

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
K
Last Name
G
Member #

Texas is great. Hope the move works out.

Texas hill country route is fun as noted above. Also check out Padre Seashore (PINS)you can camp on the beach in Texas - like 70 miles of it.

We also typically bolt to CO or NM to get altitude in the summer. One day travel from Austin to Carson NF.

Busaman2013

Rank IV

Advocate II

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Aviles
Member #

@Busaman2013 the Hill Country loop noted above is a nice way to get out and introduce your wife too. Beware the chance of flash flooding if it has rained, otherwise the water at the deepest crossing is about 8 inches.
Cool, I’ll keep those in my mind, took a screen shot to google those places. Can’t wait to get started. Super excited. Thanks for sharing. Really appreciate it.

Reactions: Sparksalot

Busaman2013

Rank IV

Advocate II

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Aviles
Member #

I enjoyed my time in Az. 5 years working downtown and living just outside of Cave Creek. Wickenburg was close and made it out there often. North out to Strawberry and Jerome or Black Canyon, or south to Bisbee and Tombstone. Mind you, I moved from Seattle to Phoenix. Night and day difference in lifestyle, topography, days of sun, rain... you get it. Did take a year to adjust.

The thing about Az is you can be essentially anywhere in about 5 hours. Most far less. In Texas, if you want to go to the Jeep Jamboree in Palo Duro, its a 9+ hour trip. Texas is big. Back in the day it took 23 hours driving the 55mph speed limit to go from the furthest point west (El Paso) to the furthest point east, just outside Shreveport, Louisiana. Fortunately there are areas wide open that are 85mph with most highway speeds being 75 except inner city drives.
Gosh, I didn’t realize there were so many places. Seems like you’ve had a blast. I’m so excited, can’t wait till fall gets here so it’s cooler for my wife, plus I still need some equipment and all terrain tires too. So it’ll be a little bit before I’m ready. Thanks for sharing your awesome experiences, hope to enjoy it as much as you have.
maybe we’ll meet someday.
Thanks again

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Cool, I’ll keep those in my mind, took a screen shot to google those places. Can’t wait to get started. Super excited. Thanks for sharing. Really appreciate it.
A lot of those pics you saw were on or near this loop.