Hampton, Virginia
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Sesek
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Apollo Overlander
General overall. Love it. But not used to a center hot section so it is difficult to cook on at first so I don’t know if I will keep it. Hard to adjust temperature and keep the skottle from being piping hot. Any advise will be appreciated. Thank you!

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Center is the heat, move food outward for less heat, does not need to be blasting, we use ours all the time, even at the house, wife loves it, clean up is a breeze.

Old Tanker

Rank V
Launch Member

Steward I

Norfolk, VA, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Reimer
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
I've used mine on two trips. The first time the center seemed too hot. Last weekend everything went well. Four changes: I went a little lower on the heat, used a little more oil, used a rounded metal spatula (from Smithey Irownware), and used the recently added metal bowl to cover food and let it steam. Shrimp and rice came out perfect. Salmon with tomatoes and capers steamed up nice and easy, with zero stick. Hash browns stuck a little when I didn't stir them around. Eggs cook easier dropped on top of the hash browns and heated under the bowl. My opinion of the Skottle has shifted from guarded skepticism to enthusiasm. The bowl and the right spatula make a big difference. You want a spatula that can scrape bits off without scratching the patina - that requires rounded edges and just the right flexibility.