taking the plunge

• HTML tutorial

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

I was going to do a cargo trailer conversion overland build this years. Even though I ordered tires, rims & spring kit (over & under) I been penciling figures to get a real close cost of the completion of this up & coming build.

My figures show I can actually buy a base line squareback teardrop style 5x9 trailer for the price of what I'll have into this build 2\3rd's through.
So the wife & I decided on Hiker, their Highway Deluxe 5x9. So Sally will be making a call to Hiker today on the Highway Deluxe 5x9 w\ extra door, roof rack & climate right vents for a cost. I figure I'll use the tires, rims & spring kit on the Hiker, I'm at no lose there. We looked at others on line WeeRoll Overlander & Vintage Trailers XSport, we kept going back to the Hiker.
In the mean time we will continue to use our RTT trailer. I enjoyed building our RTT trailer from ground up even though it took me almost 10 months. Our age is creeping up on us 60's & late 50's & overlanding is in our blood. I worry that using the ladder up & down @ our age is some thing to consider. We've always been dispersed campers & hunters (both of us) bear, deer, hog so traveling to deep wilderness destinations to pursue the game we are after or just to get way from the world rat race & drama.
51482017_2043118645736999_7684894968808210432_n.jpg 51231756_2043110599071137_1940081661551050752_n.jpg 50875393_2032095600172637_8882813286702120960_n.jpg

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Cool! Welcome to the Hiker family. Wish I’d done the 5X9, but couldn’t justify the cost bump for our first trailer, in case Deb didn’t like the experience. The Highway model is only suited for very mild dirt and gravel roads. Be sure you know that going in.

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

we've looked at all of them on the site, I see the mid range & offoad are heavier axles, one with much larger tires & is skinned in aluminum for the interior.

We dispersed camp on logging roads usually so I was thinking of the kits I've already have with taller leaf spring hangers & the rims & tires I have. The off set of the rims are the same as what is on the tire exactly so the tire width would be 3" wider over all.

My current trailer I'm running 2000lb axle with shock & smooth ride leafs, taller leaf hangers & have no problem running the roads we do on the national forest.

Only thing I can think of is structural framing is different. Sally will be call them.

Reactions: Steve

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

Congrats! I’ve done a ton of research myself in the teardrop options out there. The only potential issue I see with Hikers is the wood frame, but everyone I’ve asked has never seen an issue.

I also like the VRV, InTech Flyer, and Escapade.

COExplr

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Denver, Co
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Morris
Member #

I’ll second the congratulations. The Hikers are a very nice unit. I’ll be taking delivery of a 5x9 midrange off-road in the next month or so and decided to split the extra foot between the galley and cabin. I followed your Dinoot build which is very impressive. Just one thing to consider is having the HT folks run some of basic wiring for you at a marginal cost, that way they can tuck it in the ceiling or in the frame while you can do the connectionctions after delivery. I look forward to seeing what you do to it after delivery. If you are on Facebook, after you have your order and deposit in, request to join the owners group. There are all kinds of ideas posted in there, but you need to be a current owner or have one on order to join.

Reactions: Steve

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

Check out the Into The Wild teardrops here in Colorado .They usually have them in stock and they are very well built.

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

I actually decided not order the Hiker because of the turn a round time was so long, I ordered square back from company in Florida, Runaway Camper their Range Runner model. Paid cash & they were nice enough to give me a cash discount too. It will be ready for pick up in the 1st week in April. We order with a frew add-on's roof rack & large 40" x 40" rear door. I spent several days looking at square back's on line & the several phone calls. Seems many of them are constructed the same way. The Runaway Range Runner is the only square back I can find that has the widest wheel base, 6ft wide. I figure it will be 6 months of fabrication & add-on's, paint work until it hits the trails.
specs:
Fully Welded Steel Frame Construction
3500lb. Rated Dexter RV Axle w/Easy Lube Hubs (will add weld on shock kit & Dexter Trailer Springs Over-Under Conversion Kit )
Dual Folding Stabilzer Jacks (I'll replace them with BAL C-Series Jack 28" w\BAL Foot Pads)
Front Jack with removable wheel
15" White Spoke Wheels & Tires (I'll replace 3 15"x8"x 4.5 on 5 U.S. Wheel 8 Spoke rims (sent off to the powder coater to be Black & Crosswind MT LT 215x75Rx15 tires)
Polyvinyl undercoated floor
Runaways Triple-Seal Cabin Construction provides maximum weather resistance
30"x20" Tinted Safety Glass Windows w/Screens
Two - 22"x42" RV Locking Entry Doors w/Keys
3/4" Clear Finished Wood Wall Construction
High Quality Easy to Clean Vinyl Flooring
Charcoal Gray Headliner
Two - 110v Power Strips w/Standard Connection
10" Deep Storage Shelf
Aluminum Exterior and Trim w/Baked Enamel Finish
2" Ball Coupler (I'll change out to Lock N Roll articulating hitch)
Standard 4-Prong Trailer Light Connection (I'll change out to 7 prong w\electric brakes)
Rear Accessory Hitch
5,000 btu A/C with Marine Grade Vinyl Cover
LED Tail Lights (I'll change out to 2" x 15" LED)
Bottom Mounted Spare Tire (total removal & fabricate a swing a way spare tire mount)
Diamond Plate Fenders and Front Wall Protector
Weight: 890lb. (varies slightly according to options)
Interior: 70.5"W x 94.5"L x 42-46"H
Overall Dimensions 11'4"L x 65"H x 94"W
I already have some of the modification parts to install.
Dexter Trailer Springs Over-Under Conversion Kit
Weld on Shock Kit
3 Crosswind MT LT 215x75Rx15 tires
3 15"x8"x 4.5 on 5 U.S. Wheel 8 Spoke rims (sent off to the powder coater to be Black)
The Range Runner outside cabin size is 6ft. W x 8ft. L x 4ft. H
985E803157D5E657.jpgA7BCB720008305AF.jpg B23BB5499C586349.jpg

Last edited:

Welding Goats

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Midland, TX, USA
First Name
Ronn
Last Name
Reeger
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRXB227
Congrats on the purchase. Looking forward to seeing the final product.

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

Nice choice and I'm sure you'll have fun with the modifications you plan to make. Based on your current trailer no doubt they'll turn out well.

Last edited: