Harriman, TN, Tennessee 61, Harriman, TN, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Lewandowski
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4DIE
Hey PapaDave... I recall you and your truck in the OB Walk around youtube video you guys shot in the desert. I thought I would chime in now that I am getting active on the board... Your new kitchen looks great.not quite the design I was looking to build, but I did want to ask you...

If you where just doing a DIY build for yourself, not as a prototype for a design to sell, would you still use the aluminum extrusions again? I am on the fence about them (extra cost vs good looks, and solid construction) and am trying to decide if I REALLY want to use them in my trailer, bed drawer, and windoor tool box builds.

Reactions: PapaDave

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Hey PapaDave... I recall you and your truck in the OB Walk around youtube video you guys shot in the desert. I thought I would chime in now that I am getting active on the board... Your new kitchen looks great.not quite the design I was looking to build, but I did want to ask you...

If you where just doing a DIY build for yourself, not as a prototype for a design to sell, would you still use the aluminum extrusions again? I am on the fence about them (extra cost vs good looks, and solid construction) and am trying to decide if I REALLY want to use them in my trailer, bed drawer, and windoor tool box builds.
That’s a great question, and I’ll give you an honest reply. Depends!

So the wood drawer I built I was very proud of and it functioned great! So for that design it didnt have water and was a little heavy. I wanted a sink and burner solution so I really love the extruded aluminum as it’s just solid! But the trade off is cost.

So it depends on what You want and what you need. Another guy built a wood Drawer based on my plans and it looks amazing! I just went camping this past weekend and my fiancee made the most delicious food on the Pull Kitchen and we sat and watched the fire as the sun set. I walked over and turned on the lights and did all the dishes super easy. So for me I love the functionality of that the design with extruded aluminum provides And lighter weight.

This past weekend
610C2686-79E9-46E3-82C2-4245735E2EFF.jpeg

I was LOVING my machete! So useful, I had no ideaCB79887C-7C17-4FC9-AFA8-51855D07CCAF.jpeg

Reactions: MattLew

MattLew

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member II

Harriman, TN, Tennessee 61, Harriman, TN, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Lewandowski
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4DIE
That’s a great question, and I’ll give you an honest reply. Depends!

So the wood drawer I built I was very proud of and it functioned great! So for that design it didnt have water and was a little heavy. I wanted a sink and burner solution so I really love the extruded aluminum as it’s just solid! But the trade off is cost.

So it depends on what You want and what you need. Another guy built a wood Drawer based on my plans and it looks amazing! I just went camping this past weekend and my fiancee made the most delicious food on the Pull Kitchen and we sat and watched the fire as the sun set. I walked over and turned on the lights and did all the dishes super easy. So for me I love the functionality of that the design with extruded aluminum provides And lighter weight.

Personally I have been rather fond of the design by drifta out of Australia and have swiped a few design aspects from them, and a few aspects from other trailers I have seen and liked, but I also have plans for buying my third 2 burner propane camp stove when I build my trailer. (one of the camp chef stoves with built in propane oven). My design has to use separate sink and stove, but I like the wood and extrusion look of yours, and I am definitely going to have to consider stealing (erm I mean adapting... yeah that's the ticket adapting) your coffee table lifter idea if I can find a good way to incorporate it. I MAY build one for the truck bed before I can budget my trailer build... I already have a sink and a propane stove, it would not take much to do the rest of the plumbing, but I hate loosing bed space until I am much further along in my build plans. I am presently planning on sticking with my chuck wagon boxes for now. Even those I am already looking at my design and seeing if I can modify them to have a set of those coffee table lifts on the lid of one :)

Reactions: PapaDave

jasonthorell

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Calgary, Canada
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Thorell
super cool rig. I am going to take inspiration from your build as well. Just doing a smaller 30" pull out, for a camp stove, and some storage / lights / cutting board. the lights and power is easy (being an electrician, and doing tons of custom led millwork installs).

I am going to source the aluminum from a Canadian manufacturer, as the exchange and shipping is brutal for me. Can I ask what the dimension is you found to be the most effective? Did you use 1" x 1" square extrusions?

Thanks in advance.

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
super cool rig. I am going to take inspiration from your build as well. Just doing a smaller 30" pull out, for a camp stove, and some storage / lights / cutting board. the lights and power is easy (being an electrician, and doing tons of custom led millwork installs).

I am going to source the aluminum from a Canadian manufacturer, as the exchange and shipping is brutal for me. Can I ask what the dimension is you found to be the most effective? Did you use 1" x 1" square extrusions?

Thanks in advance.
yes 1” is perfect. I hope it goes well, be sure to share some photos

Capt.Mike

Rank 0

Contributor I

Italy
First Name
Renato
Last Name
adamini
Complimenti @PapaDave
Veramente un ottimo lavoro.
Scrivo dal nord Italia.
Ho visto su youtube il lavoro che hai fatto e ho deciso di iscrivermi al forum per saperne di più.

Vorrei fare un lavoro simile sulla mia, che é un Chevy TAHOE 2002 , e sto studiando un progetto simile, infatti mi hai dato parecchie idee, complimenti ancore per l'ottimo lavoro...

Congratulations @PapaDave

Truly a great job.

I write from northern Italy.

I saw the work you did on youtube and I decided to join the forum to find out more.

I would like to do a similar job on mine, which is a Chevy TAHOE 2002, and I am studying a similar project, in fact you gave me several ideas, congratulations again for the excellent job ..

sorry if the translation is not perfect, it is done with google translator ...

Reactions: Boort and PapaDave

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Complimenti @PapaDave
Veramente un ottimo lavoro.
Scrivo dal nord Italia.
Ho visto su youtube il lavoro che hai fatto e ho deciso di iscrivermi al forum per saperne di più.

Vorrei fare un lavoro simile sulla mia, che é un Chevy TAHOE 2002 , e sto studiando un progetto simile, infatti mi hai dato parecchie idee, complimenti ancore per l'ottimo lavoro...

Congratulations @PapaDave

Truly a great job.

I write from northern Italy.

I saw the work you did on youtube and I decided to join the forum to find out more.

I would like to do a similar job on mine, which is a Chevy TAHOE 2002, and I am studying a similar project, in fact you gave me several ideas, congratulations again for the excellent job ..

sorry if the translation is not perfect, it is done with google translator ...
hai fatto un magnifico lavoro di traduzione. sono felice che tu sia ispirato a creare una cucina per il tuo veicolo. amo l'Italia, ma non ci sono stato dal 2000

Reactions: Capt.Mike

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
How high is the cooking surface off of the tailgate with the newest version your selling?
8.5” above the bottom of the kitchen, which is about 1/2”-1” above the tailgate when extended.

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Thank you, we're trying to decide if we want to overland a trailer or a truck, it's all come down to your kitchen... Lol
Haha well youuuu’re welcome. :)

instagram and @pullkitchen has a couple trailer installs, plus trucks and vans.

jasonthorell

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Calgary, Canada
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Thorell
So, aluminum and fasteners arrived this week. Started to assemble today. Took on some more lessons today as well. Lesson #1; being super accurate, and winging it at the same time, doesn’t meet happily in the middle. Lesson #2; cheap chinese tap kit, and no cutting fluid, gets you an opportunity to order some more aluminum...and buy some higher quality taps. Oh well, next weekend it will be better.

I have went through this forum thread front to back, instagram, and your site....I am wanting to preserve my little space I have, and put the siders on the interior as well. I can only come up with using some flat bar aluminum to create a vertical surface for the slider off the bottom rounded pieces, yes?

I thought about using the panel bracket offsets, but they don't quite match the slider depth, but a few extra washer?

I should have built this section first, then the wooden cooler platform after, since it's wood and easy to adjust. But, since I did it the opposite, and left no margin for error (Delica van, and this all fits between the rear wheel wells), I have to put the sliders under and on the interior.

It would be nice if they offered a tap service on the rounded, no?IMG_1170.JPG

Reactions: Boort

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
So, aluminum and fasteners arrived this week. Started to assemble today. Took on some more lessons today as well. Lesson #1; being super accurate, and winging it at the same time, doesn’t meet happily in the middle. Lesson #2; cheap chinese tap kit, and no cutting fluid, gets you an opportunity to order some more aluminum...and buy some higher quality taps. Oh well, next weekend it will be better.

I have went through this forum thread front to back, instagram, and your site....I am wanting to preserve my little space I have, and put the siders on the interior as well. I can only come up with using some flat bar aluminum to create a vertical surface for the slider off the bottom rounded pieces, yes?

I thought about using the panel bracket offsets, but they don't quite match the slider depth, but a few extra washer?

I should have built this section first, then the wooden cooler platform after, since it's wood and easy to adjust. But, since I did it the opposite, and left no margin for error (Delica van, and this all fits between the rear wheel wells), I have to put the sliders under and on the interior.

It would be nice if they offered a tap service on the rounded, no?View attachment 164222
Aluminum bar will help with the vertical slider attachment, keep up the good work!

Reactions: Boort