Corpus Christi, TX, USA
First Name
Austin
Last Name
Aumiller
Service Branch
Navy
New to the forum.

I had no luck finding useful information for anyone setting up their off grid solar with LiFePo4 starter and auxiliary batteries in this way, so I wanted to share what worked for me (so far)

I daily drive, wheel and overland in my 4runner. It is set up for car camping so my batteries and solar equipment are on a shelf/ molle pannel system. This setup may not be for everyone.

Additional information:

Icon Stage 1 suspension
SPC Adjustable UCAs
CBI aluminum skid plates
Rago Sliders
Rago bumper
17" SCS wheels
34" Cooper STT Pro tires
Spod BantamX accessory controller
BD Fog light/ Ditch light
BD flush mount reverse light
LUX rock lights
Morimoto XB Headlights
Sprint Booster
(will move to custumtune soon)
Ebach rear bump stops
Energy Suspension front bump stops
AC Delco rear sway bar extended links
Dakota Lithium 100w flexible solar panel
DL dashboard solar charge controller.
Victron Orion-Tr Smart isolated DC-DC charger
DL 100Ah LiFePo4 Deep cycle battery
DL 1500w Pure sign wave inverter
Antigravity 30Ah LiFePo4 starter battery
Victory 4x4 window Molle pannels
Victory 4x4 shelf system (modified)

Attachments

Last edited:

Aumiller_

Rank I

Contributor III

Corpus Christi, TX, USA
First Name
Austin
Last Name
Aumiller
Service Branch
Navy
I plan on switching to a dual battery solar charge controller to keep both batteries charged via solar, but the single output came with the kit, so I will run that for the time being.
While researching this topic, I was under the impression that the stock alternator would overwork itself charging a LiFePo4 battery. I brought up this question/ concern with Bart at Antigravity Batteries and he said that is not an issue with their products BMS. He said there would be no issue with the factory alternator charging this battery (without any regulator in place) I made sure to ask this question more than once, just to be sure.

The Victron Orion-Tr Smart DC-DC Charger can be programmed via the Victron app, I have mine configured for LiFePo4 with custom lock out parameters. Using the app I was able to observe the resting voltage of the Antigravity battery when the car was off (13.3v) and configure the lock out to stop charging (the Dakota Lithium 100Ah) at that voltage. When the vehicle is running and power is supplied to the Antigravity via the alternator, the voltage is at or above 13.7v, so the Orion will identify that at this voltage the vehicle is now running, and charging of the aux battery can begin.

Reactions: Coreymol

Caffienated

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Southwest Portland, Portland, OR, USA
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Caputi
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CID
Service Branch
Marines
Good looking setup, I'm trying to set up a pair of 200ah batteries with 400 watts solar and 2K inverter with a renogy dc to dc charge controller.. Came looking for ideas for my Tacoma and ran across your post.

Reactions: Aumiller_

Aumiller_

Rank I

Contributor III

Corpus Christi, TX, USA
First Name
Austin
Last Name
Aumiller
Service Branch
Navy
Good looking setup, I'm trying to set up a pair of 200ah batteries with 400 watts solar and 2K inverter with a renogy dc to dc charge controller.. Came looking for ideas for my Tacoma and ran across your post.
That's awesome, hopefully everything goes smoothly. Post pics if you can!

Reactions: Advtres

Enthusiast I

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Elliot
Last Name
Byfield
This is a great setup. Been brainstorming ways to setup a dual battery system. I have a frontier with a camper is I'd probably move the second battery/inverter in the bed. Thanks for sharing.

Aumiller_

Rank I

Contributor III

Corpus Christi, TX, USA
First Name
Austin
Last Name
Aumiller
Service Branch
Navy
MAY Update:
Took the rig out for a 900 mile (round trip) 4 day offroad/ camping at the lone star Toyota Jamboree.
Had to adjust solar charge controller settings, and victron charge parameters. But everything held up to some serious abuse.

Attachments

Reactions: Caffienated