Florida, USA
First Name
Jacob
Last Name
Blenker
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I cannot be the only one looking for some insight into the off-road ability of the T@b Outback trailer. Has anyone heard anything???

download+%281%29.jpg

Sent from my SM-T350 using OB Talk mobile app

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
A friend of mine owns one. Graded dirt roads like forest roads you're fine. True 4x4 off road trails like pictured below, forget it. I think it would rattle apart. They are neat trailers. Just depends on the terrain you want to spend time on.

I'll give some examples:
White Rim Trail Moab - No

Lockhart Basin, UT - NO that's what is pictured

El Camino Del Diablo - probably

Mohave Road - Maybe would have to go very slow in sections

Pretty much anything considered a trail vs a dirt road forget it.

Plenty of dealers around the country. Go check one out if you haven't already.

The bigger tires help but I just don't think the rest of the trailer is built to take the abuse.

The Backcountry Discovery Routes - easy sections yes any of the higher rated which are easy with a true off-road trailer - No

Last edited:

Jacob Blenker

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Florida, USA
First Name
Jacob
Last Name
Blenker
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Thank you for the analysis. That's why I love this forum, everyone is very thorough. I guess my follow up question would be; is it study enough to customize and make it somewhat more off road able. For example the supplied photo of an fj cruiser at one point was limited to dirt roads and no significant trails. Unfortunately trailer salesman know very little of the construction of their products.

Sent from my SM-T350 using OB Talk mobile app

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Thank you for the analysis. That's why I love this forum, everyone is very thorough. I guess my follow up question would be; is it study enough to customize and make it somewhat more off road able. For example the supplied photo of an fj cruiser at one point was limited to dirt roads and no significant trails. Unfortunately trailer salesman know very little of the construction of their products.
A stock FJ Cruiser is plenty capable to off-road stock. I did lots of rock crawling with it before any modifications. Only real mod it needed was more appropriate all terrain tires. I ran stock sized tires for years and they worked fine. While I now have 33" tires it is more for looks than any greatly enhanced capability. Other than that everything else just gives you a bit more protection, clearance, and so forth. So don't discount the capabilities of most stock 4x4 vehicles.

Now back to the trailer. Even if they put a better suspension on it the rest will likely rattle a part. It is just the nature of the materials used. You also have center of gravity issues, height, width, which would prevent you from taking the T@B on more difficult trails. If money was no object I probably would own one for simple dirt road camping trips. You have to determine where you want to go. If you like the idea of a Teardrop, although I don't really consider that T@B model one due to size, there are plenty of off-road capable teardrops on the market. Here's my personal choice for a non-offroad teardrop style trailer, http://www.safaricondo.com/en/caravanes_R1723