Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fenwick Island, De
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Barry
Member #

Looking for a hitch mounted swing away tire carrier for my Van. Haven’t heard to many good things about the Wilco Offroad one.
Any input would be appreciated

Thanks

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

Is that your only option for carrying a full size spare? Every receiver mounted swing out I’ve seen has reduced the departure angle so much that I would look for any other option personally.

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

Looking for a hitch mounted swing away tire carrier for my Van. Haven’t heard to many good things about the Wilco Offroad one.
Any input would be appreciated

Thanks
What's wrong with the Wilco? I am also considering it for my 3rd gen T4R. Cheaper than a new bumper and can be moved to another car.

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

dwb133

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fenwick Island, De
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Barry
Member #

What's wrong with the Wilco? I am also considering it for my 3rd gen T4R. Cheaper than a new bumper and can be moved to another car.
I had read reviews that they are so busy it's taking 6 weeks to get one and the quality has gone down. Customer service is almost non-existent. That's from recent reviews.

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

I had read reviews that they are so busy it's taking 6 weeks to get one and the quality has gone down. Customer service is almost non-existent. That's from recent reviews.
I saw a post recently which states they had a new owner. Could be part of it. Or all of it. Who knows.

Reactions: dwb133

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I just bought a Hitchgate Offset, found a dealer that had it in stock. Takes about 30 minutes to install, includes all hardware to mount spare. I have read the reviews about quality but I have to say my unit is really nice. Weld quality is great, finish is good. No movement or noise when driving, haven't been offroad with it yet but it is really heavy duty.

Last edited:

Jelorian

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

SF Bay Area, CA
Member #

I have the older offset model before the new ownership and when Erik was doing customer service and youtube vids. I didn't know about the change in ownership till recently. I am hearing mixed reviews since the change over but most of it is negative. It is a shame. My only experience with their products is my offset hitchgate, and while not perfect and also not cheap, it is very well made and I expect it will last a long time. I hope that things turn around.

Reactions: dwb133

Fozzy325

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Calgary, AB, Canada
Member #

I'm looking at getting the hitchgate MAX however; before proceeding i was wondering due to my snatch point now being covered by the frame is the Hitchgate hitching point strong enough to be used as the snatch point with a shackle hitch installed.?

Sowellraider

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Sowell
Member #

I ordered a hitchgate Max first week of January and still have not received it. When I ordered it I was told they would ship it out the following week. I have called once a week since order and have received a different answer as to why it’s not ready. Today’s call resulted in a new excuse that they had a manufacturing issue. Something with the lock pin and sagging. Was told it was fixed and that they would be shipping tomorrow. May just call and cancel order in the morning. Didn’t know bout ownership change. When I was on the phone with I believe Hunter his name was. I could hear someone in the background upset on the phone with a supplier saying. “I don’t care if I have to drive over there and pick them up I will.” Don’t know what’s going on but for the hitchgate Max a hi lift jack with mount for $1700. I’m wondering if I should just get a full rear bumper with swing outs.

Reactions: Fozzy325

Fozzy325

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Calgary, AB, Canada
Member #

I ordered a hitchgate Max first week of January and still have not received it. When I ordered it I was told they would ship it out the following week. I have called once a week since order and have received a different answer as to why it’s not ready. Today’s call resulted in a new excuse that they had a manufacturing issue. Something with the lock pin and sagging. Was told it was fixed and that they would be shipping tomorrow. May just call and cancel order in the morning. Didn’t know bout ownership change. When I was on the phone with I believe Hunter his name was. I could hear someone in the background upset on the phone with a supplier saying. “I don’t care if I have to drive over there and pick them up I will.” Don’t know what’s going on but for the hitchgate Max a hi lift jack with mount for $1700. I’m wondering if I should just get a full rear bumper with swing outs.
Yea for my LR4 full rear bumper it would be $2100 with as many snatch points as possible and hi-jack lift points

Reactions: Sowellraider