louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Here’s my swing away hitch mount. Ended up being too heavy for my truck when it was packed full. Now I’m trying to get rid of it if you’re interested
those are huge! looks like nice boxes...bet that would be pretty good to mount on the back of a small utility trailer with a RTT on it. looks like pretty secure storage for gear. i have a swingaway hitch to clear my tailgate...yours is more for clearing a vertical door instead of a horizontal tailgate

Reactions: Surfscottydog

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
yeah, im not sure about the alternator toyota uses, ill need to look into that...glad you mentioned that because i didnt think about it

i use 200w solar on our camp trailer with 100ah battery and that works great running lights and 65qt dometic fridge.
Toyota has a smart alternator and will need and "booster" to charge a second battery. I have a 200 Series Land Cruiser and got a booster from Australia.

It replaces the alternator fuse and makes the alternator think the battery needs more voltage. Works great.

The 12 volt line on the 7pin is not enough to charge a battery. A good easy way to charge your trailer battery is a "Toad" charger. Just run cables from the main battery to the rear of the truck and connect to the trailer battery using a small charge controller . I've used this system in three trailer with great success.

Reactions: Road and grubworm

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Toyota has a smart alternator and will need and "booster" to charge a second battery. I have a 200 Series Land Cruiser and got a booster from Australia.

It replaces the alternator fuse and makes the alternator think the battery needs more voltage. Works great.

The 12 volt line on the 7pin is not enough to charge a battery. A good easy way to charge your trailer battery is a "Toad" charger. Just run cables from the main battery to the rear of the truck and connect to the trailer battery using a small charge controller . I've used this system in three trailer with great success.

very good info..thanks!
so far the solar panel is doing ok, but as we travel more and travel on cloudy or winter days, i will need the truck to charge the battery and what you showed definitely looks like the best way to go about it.

Reactions: mep1811

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
very good info..thanks!
so far the solar panel is doing ok, but as we travel more and travel on cloudy or winter days, i will need the truck to charge the battery and what you showed definitely looks like the best way to go about it.
The toad will work great for a small investment

Reactions: grubworm

Surfscottydog

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Santa Cruz, California 95062, United States
First Name
Scott
Last Name
St Denis
Member #

Here’s my swing away hitch mount. Ended up being too heavy for my truck when it was packed full. Now I’m trying to get rid of it if you’re interested
Yeah they are pretty big, and they do hold basically everything you would want. They would fit any tailgate that is on a midsize truck however a full-size truck I don’t think the arms would be wide enough. They swing out plenty big in there they’re low enough to where they come up underneath where the tailgate would fall down. I love them but they’re too big for my truck, expensive mistake
those are huge! looks like nice boxes...bet that would be pretty good to mount on the back of a small utility trailer with a RTT on it. looks like pretty secure storage for gear. i have a swingaway hitch to clear my tailgate...yours is more for clearing a vertical door instead of a horizontal tailgate