• HTML tutorial

Spooky Lemons

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

North Dakota
Member #

Hello everyone,
I am a new to overland bound, and posting on forums.
But recently I bought a 3rd gen Tacoma and I am thinking about getting a suspension upgrade in the future but want to do some better tires possible new wheels to start, but i dont want that to conflict with a suspension upgrade in the future.

Any ideas or lessons learned that people are willing to share?

Horse Soldier

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Louisville Ky
First Name
B
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Can't help on the lift except to say bds has great lift kits. I would do a drum to disc brake conversion on the rear axle.

RedRob

Rank V

Traveler III

Sonora, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Irwin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6VUL
Service Branch
USMC
I have a 2016 Taco. I did a two inch front level. I believe this was very helpful. Based on my research, I am planning on a Rough Country four inch lift and 33’s, but I cannot afford it yet. I know I will never spend the money for new wheels, so I can’t help there. I have 265/75R/16 Cooper AT3’s that have been quite capable and quiet. Hope this helps.

36degreesNorth

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Knoxville, TN, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Sabens
If you are planning on using it off road bilstine 5100 adjustable shocks are the minimum I would start with. Better options with more wheel travel would be a coil over replacement from Icon, fox, OME with new upper control arms. If you need even more wheel travel you can long travel kits from total chaos, camburg. Each one is another step up in coat. Avoid lift spacers and lifts that lower the front diff as they offer no increase in suspension profromance over stock.

Last edited:

Ben Cleveland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

I lifted my second gen Tacoma with OME coils in the front, wheelers aal in the rear and Billsteins all around. Stock UCAs. It was improved over stock, but not the best. My caster was maxed out on the stock UCAs. Steering twitchy. Wished it was a little higher. And ride was a bit stiff.

I just did a full dobinsons suspension on my 4runner and the difference was amazing. Comfortable, dobinsons UCAs allowed for perfect alignment.

1) upgrade your UCAs no matter what. That’s my opinion based on my experience. Others may say it’s not necessary, I disagree.

2) don’t do a cheap spacer lift or aal in the rear. Do deaver heavy duty leaf packs in the rear and dial in the height by removing individual leafs. Supposedly a much more comfortable setup.

3) a lot of people love OME but I wasn’t impressed. I’d go dobinsons, icon, or Fox if I were doing another Tacoma suspension.

4) diff drops are never “part of a lift kit”. They may be included in a kit but a diff drop is not inherently part of a suspension change. Dropping the diff is supposed to help improve CV angles after the lift made them steeper. Lots of back and forth about whether or not it’s necessary. It’s inaccurate to say “no improvement over stock”. It’s a much debated topic. Do research on it and make your own decision.

5) spend some money. You can’t get an awesome suspension setup with $200. It costs. IMO it’s worth it and I wish I had spent more on my Tacoma setup instead of cuttting corners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DividedSky

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

USA
Member #

Avoid lift spacers and lifts that lower the front diff as they offer no increase in suspension performance over stock.
YES on the first part of this... I would REALLY avoid bracket lifts and stick with SUSPENSION lifts.

In front, you would need to do something like was mentioned above. 5100's, fox, King, or my favorite... ADS! This will raise your front up to 3in over stock (at least it did on my Tundra).
When you get into that 3in+ range, you might want to also look into new Upper Control Arms (UCAs) to get your alignment right. ALSO... There is a small differential drop that needs to happen here. I think that what Irongrave is referring to is a BODY lift. This is where they cut and/or weld a big bracket onto your vehicle.

Take a look at this pic... See those two big bracket things in the center? That is what you dont want. This is all for a BODY lift. It still uses some puny little shocks (as you can see). Any time your lift comes with longer steering knuckles, that is a BODY lift.

This is what I would call a SPACER lift (see below). It isn't a body lift... Closer to a suspension lift (and some companies call this a suspension lift), but instead of using longer shocks to get lift AND extra travel, it uses spacers. This can be bad bc your suspension will bottom out on the SHOCK, and not on the bump stops. This is not good for your shocks and can lead to the shock breaking since it is not designed to take that kind of load. The spacers are those two things in the center with the 4 bolts and the hole in the middle (front) and the two blocks at the top (rear axle). They can also cause Axle Wrap when you really step on the gas. This is where your rear leaf springs twist into an S shape.

The best option is a SUSPENSION lift. (see below). It is just some longer shocks in front and back that will droop your control arms for more travel in front. Then, for the back, you might use extra/new leaf springs and shackles to get more height.

So it really comes down to what you are looking to achieve and how much $$ to spend.
The absolute CHEAPEST way to do this all is to get Bilstein 5100's in front (and rear IMO). If you just get a 2.5-3in lift, you can get away with stock control arms. Over 3in you need new UCA's and a slight drop of the front Diff to get good angles.

Reactions: 36degreesNorth

DividedSky

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

USA
Member #

I lifted my second gen Tacoma with OME coils in the front, wheelers aal in the rear and Billsteins all around. Stock UCAs. It was improved over stock, but not the best. My caster was maxed out on the stock UCAs. Steering twitchy. Wished it was a little higher. And ride was a bit stiff.

I just did a full dobinsons suspension on my 4runner and the difference was amazing. Comfortable, dobinsons UCAs allowed for perfect alignment.

1) upgrade your UCAs no matter what. That’s my opinion based on my experience. Others may say it’s not necessary, I disagree.
If you are getting 2.5in or less, then they are not absolutely necessary, but will be with 3in or more...

2) don’t do a cheap spacer lift or aal in the rear. Do deaver heavy duty leaf packs in the rear and dial in the height by removing individual leafs. Supposedly a much more comfortable setup.
Tend to agree. This is ideal, but you can get away with an add a leaf or even stock... Depends on budget.

5) spend some money. You can’t get an awesome suspension setup with $200. It costs. IMO it’s worth it and I wish I had spent more on my Tacoma setup instead of cuttting corners.
AGREE!!!!!

Ben Cleveland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

YES on the first part of this... I would REALLY avoid bracket lifts and stick with SUSPENSION lifts.

In front, you would need to do something like was mentioned above. 5100's, fox, King, or my favorite... ADS! This will raise your front up to 3in over stock (at least it did on my Tundra).
When you get into that 3in+ range, you might want to also look into new Upper Control Arms (UCAs) to get your alignment right. ALSO... There is a small differential drop that needs to happen here. I think that what Irongrave is referring to is a BODY lift. This is where they cut and/or weld a big bracket onto your vehicle.

Take a look at this pic... See those two big bracket things in the center? That is what you dont want. This is all for a BODY lift. It still uses some puny little shocks (as you can see). Any time your lift comes with longer steering knuckles, that is a BODY lift.

This is what I would call a SPACER lift (see below). It isn't a body lift... Closer to a suspension lift (and some companies call this a suspension lift), but instead of using longer shocks to get lift AND extra travel, it uses spacers. This can be bad bc your suspension will bottom out on the SHOCK, and not on the bump stops. This is not good for your shocks and can lead to the shock breaking since it is not designed to take that kind of load. The spacers are those two things in the center with the 4 bolts and the hole in the middle (front) and the two blocks at the top (rear axle). They can also cause Axle Wrap when you really step on the gas. This is where your rear leaf springs twist into an S shape.

The best option is a SUSPENSION lift. (see below). It is just some longer shocks in front and back that will droop your control arms for more travel in front. Then, for the back, you might use extra/new leaf springs and shackles to get more height.

So it really comes down to what you are looking to achieve and how much $$ to spend.
The absolute CHEAPEST way to do this all is to get Bilstein 5100's in front (and rear IMO). If you just get a 2.5-3in lift, you can get away with stock control arms. Over 3in you need new UCA's and a slight drop of the front Diff to get good angles.
Honestly man, you need to check your information and do some more research. A lot of what you're saying is either incorrect mixing of terms, or oversimplification of opinion statements as truth. Its obvious you're trying to be helpful, but your post is more misleading and and confusing for someone who doesn't know anything about suspensions. I'd really encourage you to check your info before posting this much.

A body lift is NOT the same thing as a bracket lift. A body lift uses larger spacers between the BODY and FRAME. Body lifts are cheap, by themselves they don't do a whole lot other than lift the body which doesn't have a lot of practical applications, BY ITSELF. They can be useful for increasing clearance for larger tires, especially if you're already running a regular suspension lift.

A bracket lift, or knuckle lift uses knuckle components and/or drop brackets for the bottom control arms to relocate the components coming off of the suspension, lifting the truck. This is what you often see on "bro trucks". Not necessarily super useful for offroad use, because while the vehicle and underbody are lifted higher, the drop brackets often reduce ground clearance at the bracket itself.

ADS, while I'm sure is a great brand, is a BRAND. NOT a specific style of lift. There is no guarantee for a certain amount of lift from simply choosing a specific brand of part.

Diff drop: Totally different thing than any of the styles of lifts discussed above. It most often involves no welding. It drops the differential DOWN to help CV angles. It does not lift the vehicle, rather it helps improve geometry of driveline components that the lift installation changed.
Diff drop also has nothing to do with bracket lifts.

Spacer lift: you pretty much got this one dead on. Everything you said about a spacer lift is correct.

Suspension lift: most of what you said is right, however a suspension lift most often involves new coil springs AND shocks. different shocks by themselves don't automatically lift a vehicle, although there are certain shock offerings, like bilstien 5100's that do offer small lifts by themselves.

Your recommendations: for the front, yes. 5100's are an option. Spacers are as well. While not a high quality option, you're not going to break your truck because you installed a spacer lift. It just won't be an IMPROVED, UPGRADED suspension. It will be a lifted suspension, with arguably the same or worse performance. For the rear, you're wrong. A tacoma uses leaf springs in the rear, which requires a spacer block or different leaf packs, or added leaf springs for a lift. Changing the shock in the rear of a tacoma by itself will not lift it.

I hope this isn't offensive. Super appreciate your willingness and desire to offer helpful info. But you gotta get it right to be helpful!

DividedSky

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

USA
Member #

Honestly man, you need to check your information and do some more research. A lot of what you're saying is either incorrect mixing of terms, or oversimplification of opinion statements as truth. Its obvious you're trying to be helpful, but your post is more misleading and and confusing for someone who doesn't know anything about suspensions. I'd really encourage you to check your info before posting this much.

A body lift is NOT the same thing as a bracket lift. A body lift uses larger spacers between the BODY and FRAME. Body lifts are cheap, by themselves they don't do a whole lot other than lift the body which doesn't have a lot of practical applications, BY ITSELF. They can be useful for increasing clearance for larger tires, especially if you're already running a regular suspension lift.

A bracket lift, or knuckle lift uses knuckle components and/or drop brackets for the bottom control arms to relocate the components coming off of the suspension, lifting the truck. This is what you often see on "bro trucks". Not necessarily super useful for offroad use, because while the vehicle and underbody are lifted higher, the drop brackets often reduce ground clearance at the bracket itself.
Full Agreement... My bad for interchanging Body and Bracket lift terminology.

ADS, while I'm sure is a great brand, is a BRAND. NOT a specific style of lift. There is no guarantee for a certain amount of lift from simply choosing a specific brand of part.
Sorry... I thought it was pretty obvious that I was saying ADS was a brand since I listed it along with Fox, King, Bilstein etc. Also since I started the whole thing by saying he should get a suspension lift. If it is confusing at all, my apologies. Maybe you just read through this one part too fast. Or since you noticed my obvious error with the body vs Bracket lift you were thinking I was off on this as well. I do stand by this part of my initial comments though.

Diff drop: Totally different thing than any of the styles of lifts discussed above. It most often involves no welding. It drops the differential DOWN to help CV angles. It does not lift the vehicle, rather it helps improve geometry of driveline components that the lift installation changed.
Diff drop also has nothing to do with bracket lifts.
TOTALLY agree... Didn't think that I had said it had to do with a bracket lift. I know this bc I had to have a slight Diff drop added when I had my mid-travel build done and I definitely didn't get a bracket lift.

Suspension lift: most of what you said is right, however a suspension lift most often involves new coil springs AND shocks. different shocks by themselves don't automatically lift a vehicle, although there are certain shock offerings, like bilstien 5100's that do offer small lifts by themselves.
Again, I thought that my picture posted directly below made clear that it was a new front coilover that was needed. If not, my bad. I wasn't sure if just putting 5100's in back did anything to lift (I don't think it does) so that's why mentioned that you would need new leaf springs and matching extended travel shocks (struts I guess would be more accurate though). And yes, you need to find a set (coilivers and struts) that are specifically designed to give you the lift you want. Some of the most often referenced brands that offer this are: Fox, King, Icon etc. (and yes, my more obscure ADS)

Your recommendations: for the front, yes. 5100's are an option. Spacers are as well. While not a high quality option, you're not going to break your truck because you installed a spacer lift. It just won't be an IMPROVED, UPGRADED suspension. It will be a lifted suspension, with arguably the same or worse performance. For the rear, you're wrong. A tacoma uses leaf springs in the rear, which requires a spacer block or different leaf packs, or added leaf springs for a lift. Changing the shock in the rear of a tacoma by itself will not lift it.

I hope this isn't offensive. Super appreciate your willingness and desire to offer helpful info. But you gotta get it right to be helpful!
So yes... I am in full agreement that I mis-spoke regarding the body lift vs Bracket lift. I stand my my comment about the possible negative impacts of using spacers to lift especially if you add them on top of the shock bc it droops your control arms down while still having the same stroke/travel. The issue here is that you can run out of travel before you hit your bump-stops. So in effect you are bottoming out the SHOCK before you bottom out the control arms onto the bumps. The shocks are NOT meant to take full bottom-out loads and you will end up snapping a shaft this way. You can get around this if you put on extended bump stops though I guess. I'm not in any way implying that you feel any differently though, so again, please do not take offence.

If the OP wants a FULL RUNDOWN of the types of lifts available and the Pro's and Con's of each, I would direct him here:
https://www.tundras.com/threads/guide-different-types-of-lifts.546/

Reactions: Ben Cleveland

Ben Cleveland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

Full Agreement... My bad for interchanging Body and Bracket lift terminology.

Sorry... I thought it was pretty obvious that I was saying ADS was a brand since I listed it along with Fox, King, Bilstein etc. Also since I started the whole thing by saying he should get a suspension lift. If it is confusing at all, my apologies. Maybe you just read through this one part too fast. Or since you noticed my obvious error with the body vs Bracket lift you were thinking I was off on this as well. I do stand by this part of my initial comments though.

TOTALLY agree... Didn't think that I had said it had to do with a bracket lift. I know this bc I had to have a slight Diff drop added when I had my mid-travel build done and I definitely didn't get a bracket lift.

Again, I thought that my picture posted directly below made clear that it was a new front coilover that was needed. If not, my bad. I wasn't sure if just putting 5100's in back did anything to lift (I don't think it does) so that's why mentioned that you would need new leaf springs and matching extended travel shocks (struts I guess would be more accurate though). And yes, you need to find a set (coilivers and struts) that are specifically designed to give you the lift you want. Some of the most often referenced brands that offer this are: Fox, King, Icon etc. (and yes, my more obscure ADS)

So yes... I am in full agreement that I mis-spoke regarding the body lift vs Bracket lift. I stand my my comment about the possible negative impacts of using spacers to lift especially if you add them on top of the shock bc it droops your control arms down while still having the same stroke/travel. The issue here is that you can run out of travel before you hit your bump-stops. So in effect you are bottoming out the SHOCK before you bottom out the control arms onto the bumps. The shocks are NOT meant to take full bottom-out loads and you will end up snapping a shaft this way. You can get around this if you put on extended bump stops though I guess. I'm not in any way implying that you feel any differently though, so again, please do not take offence.

If the OP wants a FULL RUNDOWN of the types of lifts available and the Pro's and Con's of each, I would direct him here:
https://www.tundras.com/threads/guide-different-types-of-lifts.546/
All good man. Sounds like I may have extrapolated more incorrectness than existed, based on some simple semantics. Hope my post didn't offend! Just want to make sure we're all upholding good standards for communication and info. I would hope you would also offer me correction if you found one of my posts lacking in correctness.

DividedSky

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

USA
Member #

No offense taken... We're all good bro.
We all learn something by being here.

So as long as we are on the topic, what is your take on the spacer lifts (in more detail)?

I've never had one so my comments about possible harm to the vehicle are all InterWeb knowledge and what I know a TON about (mountain-bike suspension) applied to our rigs. I may be overlooking something, but it seems logical that if you space your shocks (spacer over the top of the coil-over) your "travel" remains the same, but you do it with your C-arms lowered more. Thus you can easily run into a situation where you go through all your travel before you hit your bump stops. I guess you could get away with this by lowering/spacing out your bump stops though. You just want to ensure that your Control Arms bottom on the bumps rather than having your shock shaft bottom on the shock body.

If you put the spacer IN the coil, assuming that the bottom and top spring perch remain the same, then you are just adding pre-load to the shock. This will raise your vehicle bc you have less SAG and you are sitting higher in the travel (of the shock). You won't bottom the shock before the bump-stop, so that is good, but you decrease your negative travel which keeps the tire in contact with the ground through "holes" (potholes, dips etc. ie. ability to track the ground). You also have more spring force working against the shock when it compresses, thus you will rebound harder. Again, this leads to a rougher ride. This is something I experienced when I had my 5100's on the top setting. I got added lift (3 vs 2.5 inches), but when I would hit a bump, while I wouldn't BOTTOM out, I certainly felt like the shock was TOPPING out (the harsh feel you get when the shock fully extends super fast and then abruptly stops at the top of the travel). You could have the rebound re-valved, but then you are spending $$ that is better spent on a purpose-built suspension lift.

So either way, it seems to me that spacers (at least aggressive ones) are to be avoided. The only time I would use a spacer is if one side of the rig was lower than the other due to uneven weight distribution. Add a 1/4in spacer to the side that is lower to get it even with the other side. Although with threaded shock bodies you would just crank a few more turns on the lower side (1-2 at most to avoid drastic spring preload differences) to raise it even with the other. Or go down a turn on one side and up a turn on the other...

Oh, and I'm only commenting on these things as they relate to IFS. I have no experience with solid front axles, how they are set up or how they perform. Since the OP has a TACO, then my comments/thoughts should apply though.