Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fountain Hills, AZ, USA
First Name
Colin
Last Name
McW
Member #

Last month I purchased a very nice older roof top box from the local Goodwill for a meager $25 in preparation for the next family camping trip. I tried out the factory strap down points, but after being flagged down on an off ramp and told that the box was flying up off the roof like a parachute I decided I was going to need a set of crossbars.

After I bit of research I found that Ford roof rack bars are taller and narrower than most and universal crossbars were not going to fit well. To make them a harder sell, a quick search found even cheap Harbor Freight bars were $60 and I would have to drill holes in the box and use U bolts to mount to the crossbars. Plus I wanted this thing to remove easily.

I found the answer to all of my problems with Superstrut and these neat U bolt clamps which are designed to hang the Superstrut from an exposed I beam roof. Turns out they work great to clamp the Superstrut into the channels of a roof rack. The solution was cheap and sturdy and the wifey appreciated that it didn't look ugly (only the section of U bolt is visible, she's not as firm of a believer in function over form as I am)

I purchased a 10' section of Superstrut for $25 and 4 clamps at $5 each, plus some nylock nuts and additional hardware for a grand total of around what the harbor freight bars cost. I cut two 3 and a half foot sections and bolted through existing holes in the roof box into the strut channel nuts. Added some adhesive foam to the strut and set it on the roof rack and applied the clamps.

First impressions is that it is ridiculously sturdy, and my wind noise from the box is completely gone. With the crossbars in place I now took the leftover 3 foot section of Superstrut and bolted it to the channel as a place to mount my recovery boards. Some hardware and sections of aluminum angle and in a couple hours the night before our trip we are good to go. After our trip I swapped the whole setup over to my Jimmy and slid the recovery board brackets backwards to clear the door. This superstrut stuff is great!

Overall very happy with how things turned out and it fits the bill well. We survived a pretty rough and rocky trail with @bawesomfels and close to 1000 highway miles and all hardware is tight as when it was installed. Eventually I might pull it off and paint it black for extra stealth, but it works for now. Best part about this setup is that when I'm ready to remove the roof top box I just buzz out four bolts from the inside of the box and leave the captured nuts in place in the channel for next time.

Happy budget overlanding everyone!

Attachments

Last edited:

Forte

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fountain Hills, AZ, USA
First Name
Colin
Last Name
McW
Member #

Very nice! I also use superstrut crossbars on my rack. Though mine are mounted differently, as I have a different vehicle.
Thanks!

Did you use standard u bolts to mount? Kinda nice that those Nissans have tubular racks, super easy to mount things.

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

I also have a different vehicle and used Super strut. How I made it is in my blog;

Ahhh found my picture file!
DSC00188.JPGDSCF2083.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Road and Forte

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Thanks!

Did you use standard u bolts to mount? Kinda nice that those Nissans have tubular racks, super easy to mount things.
No. I actually used exhaust clamps to mount mine.

I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to build a basket out of superstrut. Right now they're literally just two bars, and I would like to do something a little more versatile.

Reactions: Forte

Luinil Explorations

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Wherever I am at the moment
First Name
Larrie is
Last Name
sharing our travels with the world.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG7WDX
Have used strut for a lot of different projects on different rigs and around the house. Currently have two pieces of hole-less strut stuck to the roof of my JKUR with 3M VHB tape. I mount my traction boards and tarp awning to them.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

Uni-Strut or Super-Strut is great stuff. I am making a rack for my new Suburban with the stuff. I found the "T" nuts slid right into the factory roof rack bars and will allow me to add cross bars that are better for me than the OEM type.

Thank you for sharing, I love these ideas and they give us all cheap ideas we can use.

Reactions: Road

Forte

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fountain Hills, AZ, USA
First Name
Colin
Last Name
McW
Member #

Have used strut for a lot of different projects on different rigs and around the house. Currently have two pieces of hole-less strut stuck to the roof of my JKUR with 3M VHB tape. I mount my traction boards and tarp awning to them.
3M tape is great! That's an interesting solution for a vehicle with no factory roof rack.

Uni-Strut or Super-Strut is great stuff. I am making a rack for my new Suburban with the stuff. I found the "T" nuts slid right into the factory roof rack bars and will allow me to add cross bars that are better for me than the OEM type.

Thank you for sharing, I love these ideas and they give us all cheap ideas we can use.
Thanks for the reply! Nice that it slid right in to factory roof rack bars.

Updated my original post with higher resolution pics. Love OB1 but I guess I have to mess with photo quality settings, checked my thread on my laptop and was surprised at how awful they looked!