Successful first trip to Moab, UT (with the help of OB!)

• HTML tutorial

OBiE0311

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

IMG_1740.jpg IMG_1741.jpg IMG_1743.jpg IMG_1754.jpg IMG_6712.JPG IMG_1751.jpg So my wife and I took the dogs and the 'ol Burb out to Moab, UT to try our hand at some of this off-road driving stuff. We had an absolute blast! Big shoutout to James Feldermann for all of his helpful input during planning! Really helped get an idea of what we wanted to do!

So to recap, we drove up Saturday morning from Colorado Springs and immediately headed to Arches National Park. I stopped in at the main gate so my wife could stamp her National Park passport (cool little program) and I had a word with the ranger to make sure that Willow Springs Road was good to go, and off we went! This road was my first time really trying to drive off-road, and I'm more than a little proud to say I only bottomed out once! It took us about an hour to drive the entire road, then we jumped onto 191 and headed into Moab! Stopped off at Pasta Jay's and had some good fuel (ok, so it was just pasta, but still, if you're in Moab, try Pasta Jay's) for the next day!

Woke up Sunday from our bed in the world famous Moab La Quinta Inn and Suites and headed over to Gemini Bridges! This was another great trail! The wife drove the burb and she was a little scared on the shelf road (understandably- its a long way down at the top!) but she did really well! Checked out Gemini Bridges itself and then headed off to Long Canyon, which was superb! Seriously, that may have been my favorite trail we took. After that, we headed back to the hotel, dropped the dogs off and zipped over to Canyonlands National Park. Didn't do any of the numerous off-road trails there (white rim road is soooooo happening in the future) but we did get some cool shots of the canyons! Dinner was at the Blu Pig, which is a barbeque joint that has decent sweet tea (for the west...us Tennessee boys like tea so sweet that if we run out of syrup we can pour it over our pancakes!) and some really good BBQ! Definitely hit them up if you go!

Packed up and headed out Monday morning knowing that we'd found a new pastime. In fact, we stopped on the way home and checked out the 94 Land Cruiser we just bought yesterday! Moab is a PHENOMENAL place and we will be going back- often!

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Great report! Overlanding is infectious watch out.

Reactions: Road

Enthusiast I

Brentwood, CA
Member #

Awesome. I'm glad I could be a help. Hit me up before you go next time in the Land Cruiser and I can give you some ideas for your more capable rig and your increased experience. It's a great place. We went for the first time in 2016 and are planning our third trip now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using OB Talk mobile app