Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

A few years ago I bought a 1990 Suburban, outfitted it with a bed in the back, and all the other gear. I built several versions of the platform and in the end my wife and I decided that we liked the mattress as close to the floor as possible so we could sit up while in bed. This allows us to read or even watch a movie on the tablet.

I sold the 1990 Suburban and bought a 2008 Suburban, also a 2500 4X4. So this time when I made plans for a bed platform, I already knew where to start.
This one is only 2 1/4in high. I built it this way so I could have a slide out table at the back. My other Suburban had barn doors and so I had a drop down table. With this one I have a lift gate that provides shade and protection from the rain.
I made the platform extend from the back door all the way to the back of the front seats, a little over 100in total. The mattress is 75in long so this gives me 25in at the rear for my gear(cooler, chuck box, etc.)
Under the front part of the platform where the rear seats were, I have an area 10in tall, 41 wide and 61in across. Tons of storage under there. I will be adding 2 doors to the top so I can get to all the stuff under it. The mattress is a tri-fold style so I can lift up the front part to get to the doors.
All of this is done in a way that did not require any modification to the Suburban other than unbolting the middle seats. I can return it to factory condition in less than 20 minutes.
The front part of the platform is wider so that it extends out to the doors. This gives me space on both sides as my wife and I both use CPAP machines and we need a space for them.
The pole under the table is to provide extra support. However I don't this it will be required unless I put a lot of weight on it. I still have to stain it and clear coat it, clean up and secure it down, but here is the start.

Attachments