Enthusiast III

Portland, Oregon, United States
First Name
Aqua
Last Name
Woodland
Member #

**Mods: please delete or move this thread if it does not belong here**

My current living situation does not allow me to work on my various DIY projects on my rig at home, so I am looking to rent a workshop space.

Has anyone had experience with renting a storage unit for the primary use of having a workshop? I am wondering if it is worth the energy and cost to procure a unit.
It would be nice to have a dry space to work in where I can also store my tools in between projects. Plus, I could work on projects in my own time without having to adhere to the schedule of others.

Thanks in advanced for any info/opinions!

the_great_white

Rank II

Enthusiast III

West Georgia
First Name
TGW
Last Name
TGW
Yep, when my dad had to move in with me and my wife he need a place to tinker so that's exactly what he did. He rented a storage unit and that's where he set up his workshop.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I know guys who run businesses out of storage units. I had to have some vinyl seats fixed on my boat and the guy I took them too worked out of a storage unit. Right now I have a storage unit and I think both the ones next to me are running some kind of business out of them.

Reactions: dubsludge

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

My current living situation does not allow me to work on my various DIY projects on my rig at home, so I am looking to rent a workshop space.

Has anyone had experience with renting a storage unit for the primary use of having a workshop? I am wondering if it is worth the energy and cost to procure a unit.
It would be nice to have a dry space to work in where I can also store my tools in between projects. Plus, I could work on projects in my own time without having to adhere to the schedule of others.

I guess it depends go the company renting the space. Some might allow, some might not. You can check if they do when shopping around.
My old neighbor has a nice woodworking workshop in a facility with lots of tools. Just need to be mindful or other and make sure you clean up if you make a mess.

In alternative you can also look at shared workspaces, usually much bigger space where you just go there and use the tools, meet people etc.

Reactions: dubsludge

dubsludge

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Portland, Oregon, United States
First Name
Aqua
Last Name
Woodland
Member #

I guess it depends go the company renting the space. Some might allow, some might not. You can check if they do when shopping around.
My old neighbor has a nice woodworking workshop in a facility with lots of tools. Just need to be mindful or other and make sure you clean up if you make a mess.

In alternative you can also look at shared workspaces, usually much bigger space where you just go there and use the tools, meet people etc.
Shared workspaces are on my list, though those are few and far between in my area based on my research thus far.

The search continues!
Thanks for your input everyone!

Reactions: trail_runn4r

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
How does one get power? All the ones I've ever seen/rented are without....
I was moving and needed a storage unit and one of the ones we have in town had one with power available. They rent the one I have for personal use and don't charge extra for the power you use. Comes in handy for my shop vac and fan. They do have some that are powered that they rent for small businesses and those people do get a power bill.