US West Stop over at Mt. Shasta for dispersed camping on way to PNW Overland Expo

• HTML tutorial

Contributor I

Bakersfield, CA, USA
First Name
Brittney
Last Name
Lucas
Hi I’m new to overlanding and this forum! Reaching out to get help on what gear/racks/tents are good for starters and any pointers. I currently live in Bakersfield Ca and drive a Jeep Gladiator Willy Sport!

Traveler III

West Hills, Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Twomey
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
As my nickname "Jeep it Simple" implies, I would recommend starting simple and go from there as you learn what you need / like / works for you. Myself I have a JKU. Most times I sleep in my JKU it there is room otherwise a simple ground tent. Here would be my staring point recommendations: tent - I have a Core 6 person easy up they run about $150 or so [has lasted me for 3 y ears so far though I am looking to upgrade to a Gazelle T4 later this year}; air mattress and 12v air pump. Coleman burner / grill stove; back packer mess kite [simple one); first aid kit, utensils, etc. My point being you do not have to spend $1,000's of dollars to start. As you find that you like the adventure and have some experience under your belt you will be better informed as to what $$$ to spend on what. I have been overloading / camping / fishing for 40+ years, and found keeping it simple and basic leads to fewer hassles and more $$$ in my pocket for gas. I have seen lots of folks put out a lot of money only to find they lost their interest, work demands crimped their time, or family needs changed and all this is fancy stuff just sat in the garage or got put into storage. If you search the Forums portion of OLB you will find more information and recommendations for getting started.

shansonpac

Rank V

Traveler III

Bakersfield, CA, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Hanson
Member #

Hi I’m new to overlanding and this forum! Reaching out to get help on what gear/racks/tents are good for starters and any pointers. I currently live in Bakersfield Ca and drive a Jeep Gladiator Willy Sport!
A good start would be getting a Bakersfield are OB group going again.

shansonpac

Rank V

Traveler III

Bakersfield, CA, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Hanson
Member #

As my nickname "Jeep it Simple" implies, I would recommend starting simple and go from there as you learn what you need / like / works for you. Myself I have a JKU. Most times I sleep in my JKU it there is room otherwise a simple ground tent. Here would be my staring point recommendations: tent - I have a Core 6 person easy up they run about $150 or so [has lasted me for 3 y ears so far though I am looking to upgrade to a Gazelle T4 later this year}; air mattress and 12v air pump. Coleman burner / grill stove; back packer mess kite [simple one); first aid kit, utensils, etc. My point being you do not have to spend $1,000's of dollars to start. As you find that you like the adventure and have some experience under your belt you will be better informed as to what $$$ to spend on what. I have been overloading / camping / fishing for 40+ years, and found keeping it simple and basic leads to fewer hassles and more $$$ in my pocket for gas. I have seen lots of folks put out a lot of money only to find they lost their interest, work demands crimped their time, or family needs changed and all this is fancy stuff just sat in the garage or got put into storage. If you search the Forums portion of OLB you will find more information and recommendations for getting started.
Excellent advice. My decades of backpacking helped me fine tune what I now carry for overlanding. KISS.

Off-Road Overland Camping

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Orange, CA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Channels
Member #

Welcome to the community. If you have any overlanding questions, feel free to reach out. I with Off Road Overland Camping