Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Over the past couple of years, we've taken our daughter to college, taking six weeks to wander home the first year, and four weeks last fall, plus four weeks south last February. We'd often find ourselves deep in a national park or forest at dusk, and need to drive sometimes hours back to our motel. It sure would be nice if we could just stay somewhere local!

We went to the last two years of RV shows in Cleveland. We don't want a big trailer requiring a big truck to pull, nor do we want a big motor coach and need to pull our exploring vehicle. I had a Subaru Outback and now a Toyota 4Runner, and don't want to go larger than that. Roof top tents are all the rage on adventure vehicles. but we don't want to have to climb down a ladder in the middle of the night when nature calls, and you can't leave camp in the evening after they are set up. Tent camping has long ago lost its luster, and especially out west where y'all have nasty creepy-crawlers. That gets a resounding NO from Deb.

So, on Wednesday, May 24, 2017, we ordered a 5X8 Deluxe from Hiker Trailer in Indiana. Wes and Megan have been a joy to work with, and we are eager to get started. We went this route, because we intend to use the trailer for hauling our kayaks (it is quite a bit shorter than the 4Runner), as a cargo trailer, moving van for our daughter's stuff, and camper. The square roof lends itself to our needs more than a true teardrop. I hope that doesn't relegate us to "those people" status.

We picked up our new Hiker Trailer on September 14, 2017 in Noblesville, Indiana.

2017 Hiker Trailer 5X8 Deluxe

Standard Features:
  • Black painted frame
  • Aluminum Fenders (not painted)
  • 2,000 lb trailer Axle
  • 4 Wire Trailer Harness
  • Trailer Jack
  • 2 safety chains
  • 2” Ball
  • 14” Tires Aluminum Wheels
  • Sleeping Area has 2aaa- battery powered lights
  • Galley 1 -120 volt Power Strip
  • 1aaa Battery power light in the rear galley
  • Manual Roof Vent
  • DOT Approved Side Markers Lights
  • Rear Brake and turn signals Lights
  • License Plate Holder and Light
  • Flooring is made of 3/4 plywood overlaid with vinyl flooring
  • Bottom is undercoated
  • Trailer sides are 3/4” plywood
  • Exposed Interior Components are Birch and Varnished Natural
  • Exterior or trailer is skinned with Aluminum
  • 1 Exterior Door with lock
  • 2 operable window 18x24 including screens
  • White Exterior
  • Rear galley cabinet
  • front cabinet
  • Standard rear galley door
  • Galley pass-through

Factory Installed Options:
  • Second Street Door
  • Roof Rack
  • Large Rear Door (side opening)
  • Fantastic Vent w/Ring Light
  • 12V Prep Package
  • Wall Color = Pewter
  • Doors = Black
  • Rear Door = Black
  • Black Trim
  • Diamond Black Fenders
  • 24" Front Rock Guard
  • Medium Tongue Box
  • Wiring to tongue box
  • A/C Prep Package
  • White Top
  • LED Trailer Frame Lights
  • Rear Receiver Hitch

Modifications, Accessories, And Additions

Electrical:
  • Renogy 100W 12V Microcrystalline Solar Starter Kit
  • AllPowers 100W 12V Flexible Solar Panel
  • Goal Zero Yeti 150 Portable Power Station
  • Bestek 400W Power Inverter
  • NOCO Genius GEN 1 On-Board Battery Charger
Interior:
  • 17" X 58" X 1/8" Rubber Shelf Liner
  • Milliard 6" Trip-Fold Memory Foam Mattress
  • LED portable lights (freebies from Harbor Freight)
  • Attic Net (reused trunk net)
Kitchen:
  • Tembo Tusk Skottle Kit
  • Coleman 2-Burner White Gas Stove (1970s era)
  • ALPS Camp Table
  • National Luna 12V 90Twin Fridge/Freezer (mounted on slide in tow vehicle)
Comfort/Convenience/Appearance:
  • ClimateRight 5000 BTU Air Conditioner/Heater
  • Cleanwaste Go Anywhere Portable Toilet
  • CVT Portable Shower/Changing Room
  • Road Shower 2 Portable Shower
  • Overland Bound Badge #0202
Storage/Rack
  • (2) Thule Hull-A-Port Pro Kayak Rack
Camp Site Stuff:
  • Kelty Noah's Tarp 16' Tarp/Awning
  • Rubber Wheel Chocks
  • Camco 1/2" X 25' Potable Water Hose
  • Camco 12" 15A to 30A Adaptor
  • (2) 12/3 X 25' Shore Power Extension Cord
  • 12/3 X 24" Shore Power "Y" Splitter
  • (4) Camco Aluminum Stabilizer Jack
  • (4) Camco Stabilizer Jack Pad
Towing:
  • Reese Towpower Forged 3" Drop Ball Mount
  • Reese Towpower 2" Stainless Steel Ball
Security:
  • McGuard Locking Wheel Lug
  • Master Coupler Latch Lock
  • Master Coupler Lock
  • Master Stainless Steel Receiver Lock
  • Trimax Wheel Chock Lock

Photos from the day we picked up our trailer.

IMG_3901-X3.jpg

IMG_3937-X3.jpg

IMG_3907-X3.jpg

IMG_3911-X3.jpg

IMG_3912-X3.jpg

IMG_3918-X3.jpg

IMG_3920-X3.jpg

IMG_3922-X3.jpg

IMG_3925-X3.jpg

IMG_3927-X3.jpg

IMG_3928-X3.jpg

IMG_3929-X3.jpg

IMG_3931-X3.jpg

IMG_3932-X3.jpg

IMG_3934-X3.jpg

[EDIT] Revised to show actual photos of our trailer, and created lists.

Last edited:

Bart

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Granville, Ohio
Member #

I'm one step ahead, 2 weeks ago I purchased a Max Flyer also out of Indiana. now it is in the shop finishing the "commissioning" for Overlanding. Changed out the straight axle for Timbren Axle less 3500 units with added electric brakes. Changed out the 14" street tires for BFG31, extending the tongue , adding a Max Coupler, installing 2 storage boxes on the tongue one to house the 2 house Batteries and inverter. and the list goes on. Wanting to get it done to travel the Trans American Trail later this summer or at least part of it this year. Can't wait!
Go luck on your build. Lots of fun!
Bart in Central Ohio
OB 2894

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

Congratulations on the trailer! I was planning on stopping by their shop when I was in Indy last week visiting my family. Ran out of time though... Looking forward to seeing your build!

Reactions: Steve

Dana Ramos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Alta, WY
First Name
Dana
Last Name
Ramos
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7EXK
Right on @Steve. Looking forward to seeing photos of your trailer on some adventures.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Congratulations. Always fun to get a new trailer and start the process of outfitting it to your needs. The only thing I would add/change is put a lock-n-roll hitch on the front. More secure vs ball mount. I opted to go with a different brand of trailer but Hiker is doing well and is a good choice.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Looks like a great addition to the family. How does it tow behind the 4-Runner?
Being empty, it bounced a bit on the way home, but honestly, not as much as I expected. And on concrete highway with regularly spaced bumps, it did a little of the push/pull that any trailer I've ever towed does. But after 30 minutes, I didn't even notice it.

The trailer body is narrower and not as tall as the 4Runner, so is almost completely out of the wind. It happened the there was no appreciable wind either direction, and I filled the tank and reset the MPG before leaving home, and before leaving Indianapolis. After the first 340 miles, the 4Runner's computer said I was getting 16.7 MPG, which is about what it usually reads. Coming home over mostly the same route, it showed 15.8 MPG. I'd take that! Of course it will have more impact as I add weight and go over steeper terrain than rural Indiana and Ohio, where highway over passes were my biggest obstacle.

@1Louder If I'd bought the Mid-Range or Off-Road Extreme model, I definitely would have opted for the Lock-N-Roll hitch. But with my expected use, I didn't see the need. Plus, if I do want to go that route, I'd likely upgrade to the better trailer, and a ball hitch helps with resale value on this sort of trailer. These typically sell used for every bit as much as they cost new, so making it fit more vehicles improves the odds of finding a buyer down the road.

Today, I added a Goal Zero Yeti 150 battery pack for short term 12V power. This gives me immediate power for our first outings while giving me time to evaluate my long term electrical needs without getting in a hurry.

Reactions: Terry Pickens

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Lock n rolls can bolt on and off. So you can always put a ball hitch back on. No push pull either. Just food for thought. I absolutely hate ball hitches regardless of road conditions.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Yea, my ball hitch is welded to the tongue, so not an easy swap. I'm sure I can cut it off, but I'm not inclined to mess with it at this point.
Bummer! Have a blast on your first trip out....

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Mind sharing about what one of those runs?
4X8 Basic starts at $2800, and loaded Off-Road Extreme goes for $15k or so. Mine was *much* closer to the former than the latter. Pick your size on hikertrailer.net for a starting point. Email them for prices on options.

Reactions: Chadlyb

Batmango66

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Indiana 930, New Haven, IN, USA
First Name
Tye
Last Name
Campbell
Member #

I was just looking at those! If you decide that it is getting lonely during the part of the year you're not using it.... hint, hint, wink, wink, nod, nod, nudge, nudge.....

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I was just looking at those! If you decide that it is getting lonely during the part of the year you're not using it.... hint, hint, wink, wink, nod, nod, nudge, nudge.....
They are on the north side of Indianapolis, and have rentals available. [emoji6]