Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
I must say I was inspired by the thread on the Scottle. Lots of input, pro and con on the merits. I very much liked all the discussion on the DIY approach, a perspective near and dear to my heart.

One of the things I have been watching is what folks are heating them with. There seems to be a lot of folks using high output burners and blasting the seasoning off of their discs. Others seem to like the versatility of cooking over charcoal or wood fires at lower temps.

I opted to make one myself, that I could use with either propane or over a fire-pit. I also wanted mine to compliment my pre-existing kitchen. I have used a turkey fryer burner and large pot for decades in camp for numerous tasks. Having a way to boil larger amounts of water for meals, kitchen, cleaning, sanitation, etc. I also like multi-function/ multi-fuel options. Having propane, charcoal, wood options fills that requirement nicely.

As I already had the large burner stand, It made sense to incorporate it into the design. Like others before me, I found a couple plow discs at my local metal recycling yard. It helps that in Idaho, such things as used plow discs show up regularly there. I also picked up a steel truck rim. After filling in the center hole and welding a piece of steel on the outside center, I used a flapper wheel to clean off all the light rust (carbon steel) and gave the rim and bottom of the disc a coat of high heat paint. I will pick up a few horse shoes and weld them to the disc to be used as handles, then will set the rim on the burner, fire it up and season the cook surface with olive oil. Should be grilling by the weekend.

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
I must say I was inspired by the thread on the Scottle. Lots of input, pro and con on the merits. I very much liked all the discussion on the DIY approach, a perspective near and dear to my heart.

One of the things I have been watching is what folks are heating them with. There seems to be a lot of folks using high output burners and blasting the seasoning off of their discs. Others seem to like the versatility of cooking over charcoal or wood fires at lower temps.

I opted to make one myself, that I could use with either propane or over a fire-pit. I also wanted mine to compliment my pre-existing kitchen. I have used a turkey fryer burner and large pot for decades in camp for numerous tasks. Having a way to boil larger amounts of water for meals, kitchen, cleaning, sanitation, etc. I also like multi-function/ multi-fuel options. Having propane, charcoal, wood options fills that requirement nicely.

As I already had the large burner stand, It made sense to incorporate it into the design. Like others before me, I found a couple plow discs at my local metal recycling yard. It helps that in Idaho, such things as used plow discs show up regularly there. I also picked up a steel truck rim. After filling in the center hole and welding a piece of steel on the outside center, I used a flapper wheel to clean off all the light rust (carbon steel) and gave the rim and bottom of the disc a coat of high heat paint. I will pick up a few horse shoes and weld them to the disc to be used as handles, then will set the rim on the burner, fire it up and season the cook surface with olive oil. Should be grilling by the weekend.

Attachments

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
Coming together nicely. Started seasoning it today. Still gotta weld on the horseshoe handles. My large Weber grill top fits on it nicely. My Camp Chef Explorer with 30K BTU burners seem to do Ok as well. My laser thermometer says the center of the disc got up to 475 F, and the sides got up to 275 F. So it should cook well and keep cooked food warm alright. The rim has no center so the heat pretty much hits the disc. It's a 15 inch rim and the disc is 30 inches across.

Attachments

Reactions: Makendust and Shahn

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
And it's ready to cook...after a little more seasoning...
I think I will call it the "FWOK". That sounds catchy. Better than a Farm-WOK. People will ask "What the FWOK is that?". I will say "exactly"! Ha ha!

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
First meal on the new "old" FWOK! Steak and egg burritos... Success!
i like it
looks to be perfect for a large family or if youre in a group and are the designated cook.
probably could get two cans of sliced SPAM around the edges and a dozen scrambled eggs in the middle.

Reactions: lhoffm4

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
That thing is cool. Did you make it or buy it?
I made it from a plow disc with horseshoes welded on as handles, and the center hole welded shut. It rests on a tire rim that can sit on a propane burner from my turkey fryer. It can also be placed over a fire pit over coals or charcoal.

Reactions: Tommy9610

Tommy9610

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Weirs Beach, Laconia, NH, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Grant
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRFG768
That thing is cool. Did you make it or buy it?
I made it from a plow disc with horseshoes welded on as handles, and the center hole welded shut. It rests on a tire rim that can sit on a propane burner from my turkey fryer. It can also be placed over a fire pit over coals or charcoal.
Sounds like it was a hell of a lot cheaper than a skottle. Nice.

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
GAME CHANGER! Hint- use a diffuser plate if your burner is 30K+ BTU. The domed lid is also a key component to combining the griddle with oven ability. Only thing faster for lots of food is possibly the Wife's Ninja air fryer... But that ain't FWOK-ing DIY/COOL!

Attachments

Reactions: Adventuring Slipper

Nomad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

very interesting I am using a griddle myself but if I ever come across a disk that is usable I would give that a go..