Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Seems to me a great idea and product is turning into a money pit, at least if you want good service and the rising prices will never end......

I was all fired up to get this then price hikes came and now the fine print seems to be making it worse depending on level of service.

Jim

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
If you are in a congested or waitlisted area then yes the service will suffer. When I am using it I wont be around these areas, and even then it will be enough to do the things that I need to get done for school/work.
I got about half way through that. I don't need internet service in a city and especially the larger ones. I need or want it in the back country where cell towers are not as numerous. I understand her point but I don't work so mandatory internet is not a issue. Other services I've seen that involve an antenna are at least $500 so the cost is still there. I have a Wilson signal booster which came with my truck and it's about 6-1000 depending on the seller.
I'm not sure it was a fair review.
Zim

Reactions: K12

ProtonDecay

Rank V

Influencer II

In my mind I am always at a remote high-elevation lake surrounded by snowcapped peaks.
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Riehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6NUI
Check this guy out. I call him 007 MacGyver. lol
Zim
Hahaha, I love how in the follow-on review video she glows about how great it is and then says, "But I don't recommend it", because (horrors) once you modify it your warranty is void. That's kind of patronizing - like, anyone with the funds can also decide to "take the risk" of blowing it up and not receiving warranty. So, kind of "rules for thee, but not for me" and all that, but eventually, after they both glow some more about how great it is, she does say anyone else in this situation (mobile into places not served by good Hotspot) is welcome to take the risk. Still, kind of a cool installation and I am impressed by the performance they get while flat and fixed. And man, what a shop he is able to access! Thanks for sharing!

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I am So close to going to star link for our internet. The only thing right now that is stopping me is my great employee discount with bell. I am getting the highest speed from Bell for a great price. If I ever leave them, It's on with starlink because we can just take our internet with us everywhere.

Reactions: ProtonDecay

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
I am So close to going to star link for our internet. The only thing right now that is stopping me is my great employee discount with bell. I am getting the highest speed from Bell for a great price. If I ever leave them, It's on with starlink because we can just take our internet with us everywhere.
Remember, Starlink RV service is not prioritized over those with permanent service. If you use Starlink RV for home service and live in a cell that is already full, your Starlink experience probably won't be that great. However, if Starlink availability is open at your home location it means the cell is not full and there will no service difference between a permanent and RV user. Truthfully, it would be a headache to remove my dish from the house and take it with me on a trip.

ProtonDecay

Rank V

Influencer II

In my mind I am always at a remote high-elevation lake surrounded by snowcapped peaks.
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Riehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6NUI
Remember, Starlink RV service is not prioritized over those with permanent service. If you use Starlink RV for home service and live in a cell that is already full, your Starlink experience probably won't be that great. However, if Starlink availability is open at your home location it means the cell is not full and there will no service difference between a permanent and RV user. Truthfully, it would be a headache to remove my dish from the house and take it with me on a trip.
Yep. Tradeoffs. Cost, effort, speed, etc. To each their own.

We typically travel to places with little to no cell service. The knowledge that we won't have to worry (much) about that along the way and at our destination is worth enough for us to pay for it and sometimes put in the effort to move the dish off of the truck to a better position.

The slowest service we've seen so far was 20 down, 4 up above Ridgway Colorado in the early evening. Better at other times and locations, typically >50 down and >6 up, often much higher, but even at 20/4 we can stream shows and hold Zoom calls just fine.

There are companies that sell products and provide services to convert a standard Dishy into an over the road flat mount, complete with waterproof connectors. I am partly converting ours as I write this.

Best of luck whatever you decide. :-)

LanceMagnum

Rank I

Enthusiast I

New England
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Laverty
I'm in the planning stages for adding starlink and the toughest part to deal with is the power budget.

From what I've found, these guys are the farthest along with an offering that can efficiently integrate into an overland vehicle:

I'm waiting for their V2 (2-3 months out) that will include the integrated power supply and can be connected directly to a 12v system.

This solution requires cutting the dishy cable, and also presumes you already have a router/wifi setup onboard, but that's exactly my situation.

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
I'm in the planning stages for adding starlink and the toughest part to deal with is the power budget.

From what I've found, these guys are the farthest along with an offering that can efficiently integrate into an overland vehicle:

I'm waiting for their V2 (2-3 months out) that will include the integrated power supply and can be connected directly to a 12v system.

This solution requires cutting the dishy cable, and also presumes you already have a router/wifi setup onboard, but that's exactly my situation.
That is a great Idea. I have been wondering how to power it when I get it. This makes it seem like it will be relatively easy. I was also thinking of possibly getting a router with POE ports.

ProtonDecay

Rank V

Influencer II

First Name
Derek
Last Name
Riehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6NUI
That is a great Idea. I have been wondering how to power it when I get it. This makes it seem like it will be relatively easy. I was also thinking of possibly getting a router with POE ports.
If you are a bit handy with electronics Tuck's Truck did a write-up several months back on how to modify the Starlink power supply.....a bit more work than wiring up a PoE injector, but seems straightforward, and Marcus & Julie seem quite capable and experienced. The one in the design is for a round Dishy (56v), but you could tune one of the DC-DC supplies for 48v for the square Dishy if you wanted to be exact. Here's a link:

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
If you are a bit handy with electronics Tuck's Truck did a write-up several months back on how to modify the Starlink power supply.....a bit more work than wiring up a PoE injector, but seems straightforward, and Marcus & Julie seem quite capable and experienced. The one in the design is for a round Dishy (56v), but you could tune one of the DC-DC supplies for 48v for the square Dishy if you wanted to be exact. Here's a link:

It looks like a good solution, unfortunately I am not comfortable doing stuff to the circuit boards like that. I also might just use the AC plug since I recently got all the trailer outlets on inverter power.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Coming up on 1 year on the waiting list.... :confused:
Got email a few days ago that service for my area may be open by Mid 2023 so I opted to get the "Best Effort" option.
Obviously not the mobile option but I have a few years before I plan to adventure full time and will need mobile internet for work.