Danan
Last Name
Coleman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3AWD
Service Branch
CERT
If you plan on sticking to pavement you’ll have no issues, but if you plan on going off road, I don’t recommend it. This of course would depend on the height of your hitch... if you’re a lifted full size truck, then you’d be fine on many forest roads, but certainly not all of them.

Reactions: Willys Yella Jeep

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I would avoid them. They kill your departure angle and on rougher roads the added leverage of having weigh on them tears them apart over time. I had some friends tag along to explore a national forest with me. After about 20 mins on just regular FS roads the carrier was sagging and coming apart. It wasn't the greatest quality carrier but I would have expected to last longer than that.

Reactions: Willys Yella Jeep

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Now, I have no intention to do any serious rock crawling. That said, what are your thoughts and recommendations on an off-road square hitch mounted basket/tray. We aren't ready for a rooftop platform just yet.

Willy
I made mine a few years ago. I was not impressed with what was available. All seemed to either be too flimsy, not handle enough weight, and seemed to kill any departure angle. I had a few afternoons spent between the design and build process. Mine is stout, sits either tight up near the bumper or can sit out a few more inches, and sits higher that any I've seen. It's heavy but it it definitely better than any I've ever seen. It was effectively free aside from time since it was built using scrap tubing and painted with leftover paint.

D

Deleted member 14476

I saw Smittybilt and one from Warrior recommended on another thread.

I’ll tag that thread here because people went into more depth of why a carrier basket was not the move.