SPOTX

• HTML tutorial

Cobblecrazy

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno
In September of 2018, I made a decision to purchase one of the Satellite tracking devices. I had a few missed connections with others in my group due to an inability to get a message, or convey my location, due to being out of cell phone range. I also help teach a class which includes a section on calling for help so I felt it was good to have some real life experience with one of these devices.

I have been using this unit almost on a daily basis since I purchased it in 2018, so I think it's time to give a review of how it's performed.

After doing some pretty long research (much of it was for the class instruction as well) I decided to go with the SpotX

Globalstar-SpotX-2-way-satellite-messenger-tracker.jpg

There are certainly a lot of options on the market. I won't go into great detail, but this is what I looked at.

There is a PLB, or Personal Locator Becon, which is unique from some of the others in your cost is simply for the unit itself - there is no monthly fee. You register the unit with your information, and the PLB's unique number is then associated with you. The PLB's are most commonly associated with marine applications, but they can be used on land as well. A SOS "call" goes out to the international Search and Rescue satellite system, and the closest responding unit would be notified. I know these are great units that have probably helped many people, but I identified several issues I might have with the PLB for my application. The first was this is an all or nothing call for help. A broken vehicle, while it may have a tragic end in some conditions, does not really warrant the "thundering herd" response. The second (which ties into the first) was I had no way to send a message to others I might be meeting (or simply to keep in touch).

A satellite phone is certainly another option. These are frequently used in expeditions, but the cost of the unit ($500+), and the monthly costs, were not something I was interested in.

Finally we get to the more common Satellite Messenger units. These are broken down into units that simply give a breadcrumb track that other's can follow by signing onto a website (some also have some "check in/I'm OK" buttons as well). Others offer a two way communication via text/e-mail to whomever you place into your digital address book, as well as, they allow the same breadcrumb tracking. A third option were units that had GPS mapping as well as the same two way communication offered by other units.

At the time of my purchase the two front runners were Garmin and Spot. While it would be nice to have an all-in-one unit, I already had a couple Garmin GPS units so I didn't feel I needed the Garmin inReach (additionally the monthly costs seemed a little steep at the time). When Spot released their SpotX model, I liked the design, features, and cost point. The unit is about 3/4 the size, and slightly thicker, than my iPhone.

I got a deal on one of the SpotX units - I think my total initial costs were about $150 due to a sale they were having, but the normal price is about $250. They have several plans that currently range from $11.95 to $29.95 - obviously offering more options/perks as the cost increases. I chose their Basic plan.

The basic plan allows for 20 "unique" text messages per month (this is cumulative so if I send a message and receive a message that counts as two - and there is a .25 cent charge for each message over that number). This may sound low, but I don't really use this option very much. What I use most often is the 14 predefined messages - which are unlimited under this plan - which can be up to 140 characters each. I have unlimited "check in" messages. The tracking intervals options are 10, 30 and 60 minutes. The plan is $11.95, and I added the $2.50 Search and Rescue cost coverage up to $100,000.00, so my monthly fee is $14.25. They have a one-time a year payment option, and they also have a flex plan that allows you to pay on a monthly basis (it's a little more than the yearly costs).

The main menu is pretty straight forward. Of note, it does not have a touch screen so all navigation is done with the buttons on the unit face.

IMG_9780.JPG

To create a contacts list you have to go to their website and create an account. Once on "your" account, you can add contacts (a limit of 70 contacts), and then you have to sync the unit with your computer/account to download them onto the unit. It would be nice to be able to input them right on the device. This is also the same process you have to go through with adding the predefined messages.

As with the messages, there are two options (I won't count the cancel option).

IMG_9781.JPG

Under the "Messages", you can see/review your previous messages, and you can select to create a new message. If you just want to create a message there is also a faster "Create Message" selection on the initial screen. Either way this works basically like texting. Once you complete your message, and decide who it's going out to (you can pick multiple contacts), you can send it off. An arrow will appear in the upper black margin indicating the message is going out, and it will disappear once the message has been sent. You can include a specific GPS location go out with the message so whomever you send the message to will receive the GPS coordinates in the message and then can find you on a map without going to your "site" on the Spot website (you can supply friends with your unique "site" link so they can log on to see where you are). The predefined message option works the same way, and really this is what I use most often. The one I use almost every day are two messages - one saying I'm heading out on a hike/bike/run, and then a message saying I'm back from my hike/bike/run. I like the predefined messages because I can go into my account and alter them to suit a specific trip. I can also change them on longer trips as long as I can find an internet connection to make specific changes. Over the summer I usually head out on a camping trip before the rest of my group so I have a predefined message saying I've found camp. I include the GPS location, and we've found it to be within feet of where I sent out the text. They usually send me a text saying they're headed my way so I can have an idea of when I might expect them to arrive. I haven't gotten out the timer to see how long a specific text might take, but I have gotten my wife on the phone and sent out a message on the unit. It seemed to be as fast as it usually takes for an e-mail to get to her, but not as fast as a regular phone text message. It's important to note that you must make sure to have the unit in a location where it's out and in the open. I ran into some issues with sending out a message and then sticking the unit in my pack too quickly, and the message did not get sent out. Lately I've been sending the message out then setting the unit on the hood of the truck (next to other stuff I'm taking so I don't forget it) while I get my things together for my outing, and I make sure to look to see if the message was sent before putting it in my pack. I've also purchased a running pack/vest that has a pouch that the antenna sticks out a little and still gets signal while I'm running/hiking.

So issues...When I was doing my research I kept hearing of people having the small cover that protects the USB connector come off. It's a small plastic cover on the base of the unit

IMG_9783.JPGIMG_9784.JPG

Until recently I haven't had that problem, but it did come off last week while I was connecting the cable to do an update. The cover snapped back into place, but it's only two small plastic "tabs" that hold it into place so it might come off again. Not sure if a rubber cover would do any better as I've seen those fail on other devices as well. I'd say for it to last 3 years is not bad, and I just keep an eye on it to make sure it's not going to snag on something.

The most aggravating issue is with the "control/navigation" pad on the face of the unit.

IMG_9772.JPG

There is supposed to be small plastic covers which attach to the actual buttons on the main directional controls. The four outer ones are for navigating right/left/up/down, and the center is the enter button. As you can see the left, up, and center/enter, covers have fallen off. The covers appear to be glued on in some fashion and make it easier to push your selected button. It does not appear to affect the waterproofness of the unit. I contacted Spot, but, as you would expect, it's out of warranty. They offered a "plan" (with a one time cost to me) where I could send in the unit and purchase a new unit for a "greatly reduced price". A little disappointing, but it is what it is. With the covers gone it is a little more difficult to make a selection, and hitting multiple buttons (on the coverless ones) is more common. Since it does not appear to be something that will cause water/dust to get into the unit, I'm just going to use it as is for now.

The keyboard is roughly about half the face of the unit. The buttons are a little hard to push, and I've found it doesn't always register a letter as a result, but this comes down more to operator error than a flaw in my opinion. Wearing thick gloves is not an option when using the keyboard. I've been able to use the keyboard wearing some lightweight running gloves, but I still had some challenges with pressing multiple keys at the same time. Since I don't have a touch screen on the SpotX, I cannot compare it to other models that do, but I can say it is slower than using the touch screen texting on my phone (having said that, there are probably 8 year olds who could type out a message in an 1/8th of the time it takes me so take that into consideration).

There is no audible notification of a message coming in. Again, I'm hesitant to put this under an "issue" as it's more of a preference (and just what I've been accustomed to with my iPhone), but it would be nice to have a little chirp, or something to let you know without having to constantly check the screen.

The battery life has been outstanding when the unit is left to simply a few messages, and tracking. I have turned the unit on, put it in the glove box, or a pack in my bedroom, and left it for over a week, and there was still battery life left. I have noticed a decrease in battery life when multiple texts are sent/received, but that is usually associated with being farther away from civilization, and it is also expected with any device with similar capabilities.

The good...

First, I'll have to say their customer service has been quite good. Now I will say I was a little disappointed in the whole warranty issue with the buttons, but I would say just about everything I've ever owned had a warranty and if it broke it was "just passed warranty". When I first got the unit there was an SOS feature on the menu. It was really easy to miss-navigate to that option and send a SOS call. There was no "are you sure" response when it was accidentally clicked. I found this was something several people experienced while getting to know their devices. I made contact with Spot and pointed out the issue. I received a quick response, and they ended up making changes so that was no longer an issue. I know there have been other instances where suggestions have been made, and it seems like the company certainly listens to its subscribers.

This unit has really been a game changer for me. I don't have to worry about cell coverage when going into the back country, and it has given my wife a added sense of security knowing she can pull up the "breadcrumbs" to see where I might be should there be an issue. I can communicate specific information with others should I need help with something, or simply want to convey information not in the predefined list. I can also know that they have returned home safely if I decide to stay out a little longer.

One of the things I do for my class is give them a few examples of lost/injured subjects in the news. Many times in a missing subject scenario, the person is not found because they've gone "off script", or never had an itinerary in the first place (so the only clue may be their car is found at a specific location). No one knows where to start looking, and, even more importantly, no one knows there is an issue for several days, or longer. This at least gives someone the ability to say "here I am, and I need help" while being off-grid...

Let me know if you have additional questions, and I'll try to answer them the best I can.

Last edited:
Reactions: Road and M Rose

Cobblecrazy

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno
Thanks for your writeup! Why did you choose spot and not garmin (delorme)?

tripping
Several things came into play. I had (and still have) a Garmin 60csx GPS that had all the bells and whistles of the inReach I would use so my GPS needs were already met. Although a one unit that does it all sounds enticing, I liked having the GPS and Satellite communication separate simply for battery life and a somewhat redundant backup system. Since they're both relatively small/light weight, making space for both wasn't really an issue for me. I can't communicate with my GPS unit, but I could use it to find my way home if I got lost. I also have a Casio multi function solar powered watch that has a compass function (about $100 off Amazon), if all else fails...

I think one of the biggest factors at the time, however, was the costs. The Garmin/Delorme units were in the $400-500+ range at the time, and the monthly costs were about double for similar coverage offered by Spot. Even now, I really like the Garmin inReach mini, but it's $350, and the top of the line inReach is pushing $700. I don't mind spending money for quality and reliability, but prior to the SpotX coming out, Spot's basic tracker/check-in unit had been the go-to for adventure racing so I was confident the company would have a good product. When I bought my SpotX, I think they had a 50% off deal, so with the cost of the unit ($125) plus tax and the initial service start up fee, I believe I was right at $150.

I know the sales guy where I bought the SpotX, and we had quite a few conversations about the Spot and Garmin. He had the Garmin, but he had also spoken to a number of people with either one. There weren't any complaints that would have steered me towards one over the other. Similarly, I went through some on-line posts and found most reports to be positive.

Sorry for being long winded, but hopefully that answers your question.

Reactions: 4x4tripping

Cobblecrazy

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno
I realized I did not cover the navigation function of the SpotX. On the main screen there is a "Navigation" selection.

IMG_9785.JPG

When this is selected, you'll be taken to a second page with four options.

IMG_9786.JPG

The compass of course shows the typical heading information on the left side. On the right side is the information you would see if you were currently navigating to a particular waypoint, or if you're not it will show your current location information.

IMG_9788.JPG

The "Trip Info" will take you into the panel that shows your navigation information when going to a particular waypoint. At the bottom of the screen is the "stop navigating" selection. Much of the information in this photo is not shown because I was inside and had no GPS connection. You can see in the upper right corner next to the battery life indicator, you see the "GPS" with an "X" underneath - the X is for no satellite connection. When you have satellite connection it will just show "GPS".

IMG_9787.JPG

Under the Settings is the way to select which type of GPS format you want to use. The "North Reference" is a way to choose if you want to use true north, or magnetic north. Calibration is pretty straight forward, and you simply follow the instructions on the screen when you want to do this. I tend to calibrate the compass every few weeks, and I try to remember to do it if I'm headed out on a longer trip. Don't get me wrong, this isn't to suggest the unit looses it's calibration somehow. It's just a habit I've gotten into over the years.

IMG_9789.JPG

The Waypoint selection will take you to a page listing all the waypoints you have created. You can select a particular waypoint and then select to navigate to that waypoint. This will then populate the other screens with the information you need to make it to your destination. When creating a new waypoint you can have the device name the waypoint, or you can rename them what you want (if you're familiar with doing this on a Garmin GPS, it works the same way). I usually make it a habit to create a waypoint at my vehicle before I take off on a trail I haven't been on before, or if I'm traveling in snow/partial snow just because it's easy to get off trail under those conditions. A waypoint can also be created by manually entering GPS coordinates if you happen to have that information. In either case there is a box at the bottom that looks like a computer disk that you use to check to save your waypoint.

IMG_9790.JPG

Although this is device does not have the mapping capabilities of the Garmin products, it can be useful to build a trail of waypoints that could help you get back to your starting point (or to a destination).

Reactions: Road

Offroadnutz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Texas/Missouri
First Name
Steven
Last Name
M
Member #

Thanks for the write up.
Ive used Spot for about 12yrs now and last year upgraded to the X. Always had good service and the units worked as advertised.

Reactions: El-Dracho

Motomikeca

Rank VIII
Investor

Expedition Master II

Atwater, Merced County, California, United States
First Name
Mike&Jen
Last Name
Keith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Motomikeca
We have been enjoying our recent SpotX purchase. I really thought I’d end up with the Garmin but since I didn’t need maps due to having a few devices already plus the truck I decided to save some bucks. Price point on the SpotX is great and monthly or yearly service plans are more reasonable. Zero issues so far and reliable when we have needed it.

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

Did you look at the broadcast power output? I’m pretty sure the PLB broadcasts at a higher output and uses two satellite systems. As a result, the likelihood of a SHTF-I-need-help signal actually making it out of the trees and to a satellite is more likely with a PLB. As you noted, though, it does no good if you just need help getting a tire inflated, etc.

Cobblecrazy

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno
Did you look at the broadcast power output? I’m pretty sure the PLB broadcasts at a higher output and uses two satellite systems. As a result, the likelihood of a SHTF-I-need-help signal actually making it out of the trees and to a satellite is more likely with a PLB. As you noted, though, it does no good if you just need help getting a tire inflated, etc.
I'm sure if you got down to the bit for bit tech stuff the PLB might have a stronger signal, but I would assume it would be marginal, and each needs a clear overhead to make most transmissions. My understanding is they use a different satellite system, and the notification for help runs through different steps. Not to mention they are a "everyone's coming" call for help no matter the situation. Not to downplay the PLB as they are used worldwide (mostly in maritime applications) with great success, but my needs were for some type of device that had two way communication, a tracking function (for others to follow on the computer without me having to do much more than hit enter), and a simple way to call for help.

In my eyes, the two way communication is the best part of the unit. In the class I help teach, one of the cases I reference in the call for help portion is of Jen Edwards. She was only a few miles into a days long hike in Southern Oregon when she fell into a ravine fracturing her neck (among other things). She was able to contact family members, SAR, and she was able to keep in communication with them while waiting for rescue. Talk to anyone who has had a emergency situation, and they will commonly say there was at least a lessening of anxiety when knowing help is on the way - especially if you can keep "talking" to the people coming to help you in the meantime. Additionally, I don't need 20 SAR operators if all I need is a new radiator hose.

One of the catalysts for finally purchasing the SPOT was after I had an issue with meeting up with family for a camping weekend. I was way out of cell coverage, and the other party didn't have any other type of comms to try to get ahold of me. Needless to say all the issues from that trip could have been avoided as I could have told them I was at camp and given them an exact location when I checked in with the SPOT. They also would have been able to let me know they got the message and were on their way.