Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Just remember, every one of those fluids are a dangerous good and package them accordingly.

Some, like coolant I'd never pack, just use water. I tend to only pack the things which actually leave me stranded. Plus a well maintained rig likely will never need a serpentine belt. And an air filter? Really?

If your vehicle consumes oil or ??? definitely carry enough to make the next gas station or fix the problem.

Missing from the list, and one always in my vehicle, gasline antifreeze. Single use size. Seasonal but ...

0263059_L.jpg

Last edited:

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

a small bottle of break fluid, needs to be sealed, if it was opened it is worthless.
1 l of engine oil, 1 L of ATF that can be used in a pinch for steering pump, the autogearbox and even diffs..

Reactions: Broke

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I used to carry a lot of spare fluids. OVer time I carried less and less till now I basically carry none. I have a quart of oil and a half quart of ATF now, in MSR fuel bottles. Everything else is gone. My XJ does leak a little oil, about a quart every 2500-3000 miles. If I didn't leak that bit I probably wouldn't even carry that much oil. I don't even bother with coolant. For an emergency I can just refil with my onboard drinking water. Not ideal since its not distilled but for the short time it would be in there it wouldn't matter much at all.
Yes, same here, unless one is into hard core rock crawling, constantly putting their vehicle in imminent danger, or traveling in extremely remote areas, ( that do not exist in the lower 48 ). Proper preventative maintenance, keeping our engines and transmissions in optimal condition and using our driving expertise, negates the necessity of using valuable stowage space taken up by gallons of liquids. I used to drag all kinds around with me as well, after several years of not using a drop I stopped. The final straw was a 4 qt jug of oil springing a leak which resulted in having to remove everything, including the entire drawer system, from the vehicle to get it all cleaned up.

TxJeeper75

Rank VI

Steward I

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Heiman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5LHN
At the moment, I am carrying a Qt. of oil, a Qt. of brake fluid, a gallon of coolant, brake cleaner, a bottle of windex, a roll of flextape, and JB weld. I also carry bulbs, fuses, tire repair kit, upper and lower hoses and a belt. A lot of good suggestions on here. After reading this thread, I will be making some additions and subtractions.

Shakes355

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Bellingham, WA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I assume @leeloo is referencing moisture content in the brake fluid rendering it useless. I just want to add that plastic is not impermeable and if moisture is a significant concern, only purchase DOT 3/4 in metal containers. Most brake fluid packaged in plastic bottles will fail a test immediately after opening.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Even if it's got a little moisture contamination it'll work good enough to get you home where you can repair the system which will probably require a flush/bleed anyway.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Just remember, every one of those fluids are a dangerous good and package them accordingly.

Some, like coolant I'd never pack, just use water. I tend to only pack the things which actually leave me stranded. Plus a well maintained rig likely will never need a serpentine belt. And an air filter? Really?

If your vehicle consumes oil or ??? definitely carry enough to make the next gas station or fix the problem.

Missing from the list, and one always in my vehicle, gasline antifreeze. Single use size. Seasonal but ...
Good hints and tipps. It really depends on how long you are on the road and where. I do quite regularly long distance trips and would never go without a spare air, fuel and oilfilters therefore. So this equipment is permanently in the rig anyway. If you go "only" on a short trip of course it might be not necessary to take such things with you.

Reactions: MOAK and Broke