Rank II

Enthusiast I

Salt lake city
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Schoonveld
Member #

We are planning a trip from salt lake to Southern Alaska summer 2022 in our landcruiser. Hoping to strike a balance with some serious off Roading and giving my family occasional nights of motel recovery. We are looking for advice on resources including best time to visit, trails, camp sites and must see locations along the al/can highway up to Denali and to the coast of Alaska.

Thanks
Eric

Reactions: CMac

TheBison

Rank V

Trail Blazer III

Hartsel, CO
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Foltz
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AA0BF / WRMI426
Service Branch
U.S. Army
+1 on The Milepost. I lived in Anchorage for a few years and drove to and from Alaska for our move there and back. It's a lot more info than just the main highway - it has details on all of the major roads. As far as getting off pavement - there's plenty of opportunities. Dig out a map and do some paper recon, and don't be afraid to explore! I found while exploring for campsites there that often times finding a site with a lower mosquito population was often more important than that epic view or bubbling creek though...

Eschoon

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Salt lake city
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Schoonveld
Member #

Thanks for the info. Milepost is enroute and I look forward to contacting OB member resources as we dig into our plans.

E

Eschoon

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Salt lake city
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Schoonveld
Member #

I am more than happy to give you any info or ideas on Alaska. Send me a message and I will get you some places to start looking at
Much appreciated. Starting a bit from scratch. Will be doing some research and developing some more specific questions shortly.

We have a lot of flexibility and where initially thinking mid June, but considering mid august to possibly avoid some bugs and crowds.

Look forward to talking further.

Let me know if this is the best way to connect. My email is coreschoon@gmail.com.

Reactions: beyondthepavement

beyondthepavement

Local Expert Alaska, USA
Launch Member

World Traveler I

North Pole , Alaska
First Name
Marek
Last Name
Dodson
Member #

Much appreciated. Starting a bit from scratch. Will be doing some research and developing some more specific questions shortly.

We have a lot of flexibility and where initially thinking mid June, but considering mid august to possibly avoid some bugs and crowds.

Look forward to talking further.

Let me know if this is the best way to connect. My email is coreschoon@gmail.com.
Are you planning to drive the Alcan, take the ferry or fly?

Eschoon

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Salt lake city
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Schoonveld
Member #

A little of both. We are driving from Salt Lake to Anchorage via Banff, Jasper and such. Then after 8 days in southern Alaska, will be putting the rig on the Ferry back to Bellingham.