Launch Member

Builder I

Miami, Fl
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Gonzalez
Member #

Taking our first big out of state camping trip in a few weeks with the wife and son. Been camping for a good 4 years now since the kid was born so we got our system down pretty good. Also just got us a Gazelle T4 Overland so that setup time has greatly improved! Starting off departing sunny, flat, hot South Florida north to Dahlonega, Ga. Will spend a few nights at Amicalola Falls with some adventures planned. Hitting up some AT and the "Largest X East of the Missisippi" type POIs. Have a Beasley Knob trip planned so I can get me one of those fancy Jeep BOH Badges. Second leg of the trip takes near Bryson City to adventure around there. We have Fontana Dam and some other nature spots to check out on the agenda. Will wrap up in Asheville, checking out Mt. Mitchell along the stop. Actually just got a nice Airbnb for a few nights outside of the city to clean up and have a proper bed to sleep in before the 12 hours trek back home.

Feel free chime in with any local knowledge of cool places to check out. I've been to both areas for mountain bike trips, but those have been trail centric, so any family friendly, fun, even cheesy local fun ideas are welcome. I'll post pics of our journey along the way!

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

gonzoy5

Rank V
Launch Member

Builder I

Miami, Fl
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Gonzalez
Member #

So it happened! On Friday April 23rd, we loaded the Gladiator and set off with my wife and 5 year old on our first extended, multi stop, camping trip from South Florida, with stops in Dahlonega in Ga, Bryson City in NC, and finally a Airbnb in Asheville, NC to comfortably finish off the trip.
Nine days total, exploring areas I've quickly seen on Mountain Bike trips, but wanted to take a slower look at with the family.

Started off in Amicalola Falls with a scenic camp and the falls nearby. The rainy first day was spent hanging around town in Dahlonega checking out the local sights. Also adventured over to Springer Mountain for the start of the Appalachian trail. Our next leg took us to Bryson City at a surprisingly beautiful camp right on a creek. So calm even groups of large Swallowtail butterflies would hang out right near the edge to drink. Visited Fontana Dam and the appropriately named Road to Nowhere Tunnel nearby. After five nights of tent camping we were ready for a proper bed, so ended up in Asheville for a few nights. the Biltmore is always great to see, and also took the Gladiator on the Blue Ridge up to Mt. Mitchell. I'd suffered up these roads on bike, so was nice to take an easier drive up to the top! Previous stops to Asheville were quick one nighters, but was nice to explore the area and take in the sites.

Fun trip overall. The mix of camping and housing worked out great. The (recently) new truck and gear performed great. No heavy offroading (I had some tentatively planned) but Google kept taking us on back gravel roads to make it in interesting. Anyone wondering about the Gazelle Tent, they're awesome. Second time using it. Goes Up and down really fast, and tough as nails. Slept through first night pretty nasty rain and winds with no issues. Did my best "Overlander" impression by brewing up some espresso on the side of the road. That's how it's done right???? Here are some of the pics. I'll have these memories for a lifetime.

Attachments

Reactions: Michael Golden