Rank I

Contributor III

U.S.A.
First Name
Pavel
Last Name
Kall
Greetings all,

reading through different topics on (overland) communications, I got the impression that on VHF/UHF the main modes are FM and digital. Is this correct?

Second, I am looking at a transceiver for HF only. The planned purpose is monitoring and possibly transmitting via 102 inch whip during travel , and working bands with different antennas when stationary. Could you recommend several models that are rugged enough for the mobile environment, so that I could do further research?

Kindest regards,

M

Last edited:

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

For VHF/UHF as related to overlanding FM is the way to go, for hobby then DV is popular but there are several options there as well and it will depend on what's popular in your area.

For mobile HF, there aren't as many on the new market currently. I have a Kenwood TS-480sat and like it for mobile as it is not as menu driven but it is no longer produced. The body of the TS-480 is large as it includes a small tuner (good for about 3:1 swr) or it includes additional finals for the HX 200 watt version.
Don't think you can really go wrong with anything from Icom, Yaesu, or Kenwood. Alinco also makes a couple of HF radios that have remote heads that may be used as a mobile. With a 102" whip alone you can get 10m-12m, with a coil (such as a wolf river coil) or an antenna tuner you can get 10m-40m.

mefizto

Rank I

Contributor III

U.S.A.
First Name
Pavel
Last Name
Kall
Hi Prerunner1982,

thank you for the reply.

Good news about the VHF/UHF as I already have a FM/DMR transceiver.

Regarding the HF, I already have the hardware to match the antenna to 10-12 m, the transceiver is the issue. The menu-driven control worries me, as it is always a bad idea to take the eyes from the road. A friend has Yaesu 857 and Icom 706MarkIIg, but form my short experience, these are quite menus dependent. So, if you are aware of any other less menu-driven transceivers, even if older, I would appreciate if you could suggest them.

In that regard, I am currently investigating the possibility to build a mechanical - switches and encoder(s) - console with Adruino controller, translating the position of the switches and the encoder to CAT command for a software controlling an SDR radio. This would allow a fully tactile feedback. Unfortunately, I cannot find an SDR transceiver, or at least a receiver with an exciter. Any ideas?

Kindest regards,

M

Last edited:

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

@mefizto

As I mentioned the Kenwood TS480 is about the least menu driven mobile HF radio, maybe followed by the Alinco though I don't have any experience with it personally.

Interesting idea with the switches, Arduino, and SDR radio. Unfortunately, I don't have any input but will be interested in seeing the final product.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

mefizto

Rank I

Contributor III

U.S.A.
First Name
Pavel
Last Name
Kall
Hi Prerunner1982,

first, no need to apologize, you had already been of help.

Regarding the SDR, it will take some time as we are at the conceptual stage. My friend, who is an experienced mobile operator has identified the (i) necessary and (ii) nice to have control functions, and it appears that even the Adruino Uno has enough inputs to accommodate both (i) and (ii). He will play with the software to see if any additional ones are to be added or, some of the already identified removed, and then we finalize the set and order the appropriate Adruino.

Kindest regards,

M

P.S. Nice moniker, I am working on a 1988 4Runner.

M

k9lestat

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Statesboro,Ga.
Member #

my suggestion for hf mobile would be to pick the few bands you what to run and get hamsticks for those bands. you could coax switch the different radios to your radio or run a sing feed line and place the aerials on a common plate.

Reactions: Ricochetwillie

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I am running an Icom IC7100 with a Icom HM-151 mic and IV-AH4 tuner. Antenna is a 108” whip. I can tune 6-80m with a push of a button on the mic. After the initial setup I barely use the menus system as most of the settings can be accessed through the mic.

my buddy is running a Yaesu 891 and a Little Tarheel Screwdriver antenna. I’m not sure what mic he is using, but he doesn’t use the menus much either.