Hayes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7TZO
So I got the solar setup completed
Dometic CFX3 55, PB40 and an Overlandsolar Bug Out 120
The Bugout Blanket charges the PB40 10% per hour in Full Arizona Sun
About 10% in 1 1/2 hour in Rim Country Forest partial shade
I think it’s a good Small setup that can power the Fridge and charge accessories, not taking up much space

Attachments

Vanhalo

Rank II

Enthusiast III

FEMA REGION IV
First Name
Van
Last Name
Halo
I just added 100w Renogy to my Jeep for the Dometic PLB40 and a Snomaster CL56D.
I had to make some brackets form 16g steel (Lowes) to attach it to my roof rack.
Used a CaNibbler to shape them.
I also made a custom cable with Anderson SB50 connectors and Powerwerx Environmental boots to run from the panel to the PLB40.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Question for you guys with a solar setup. I have setup my second battery to be charged by my truck's alternator using a battery isolator. Can you charge the battery at the same time with solar or do you have to charge with just one or the other? I ask because I'm getting ready to mount a solar panel on my truck's roof like @Vanhalo and need to know if I need to install a switch so the solar doesn't charge the battery when my truck is running?

Reactions: Vanhalo

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
Question for you guys with a solar setup. I have setup my second battery to be charged by my truck's alternator using a battery isolator. Can you charge the battery at the same time with solar or do you have to charge with just one or the other? I ask because I'm getting ready to mount a solar panel on my truck's roof like @Vanhalo and need to know if I need to install a switch so the solar doesn't charge the battery when my truck is running?
That is exactly how my solar is installed.

Truck alternator charges the starting and house batteries. When the vehicle is off, the batteries are isolated and the house battery receives solar charge. The solar charge controller will sense the increased voltage with the truck running and automatically stop charging the house battery.

Towards the bottom of my dual battery thread I add solar. Check it out if you want the details:

Reactions: Viking1204

IAm_Not_Lost

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Arizona
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Yeats
Member #

Yeah I agree with Konza, if you have a decent solar charge controller it should sense that your battery is at 14 volts (just throwing out a possible alternator voltage) and not try and charge it. This is the setup for many people. A more efficient setup would be something like a DC-DC charge with a solar input option like Redarc or Ctek make. Main benefit of those is that it's all one package and it makes sure your house battery is truly getting a proper charge from the alternator.

If I was going to use the alternator, an isolator, and cheap solar setup I would just use an inexpensive flooded lead acid deep cycle instead of a nice high end AGM battery as I don't think you will get the life from the AGM to make it worth the investment. That's just based on some previous experience.

Vanhalo

Rank II

Enthusiast III

FEMA REGION IV
First Name
Van
Last Name
Halo
I avoided the 2 battery setup because of the complexity. Then I was going to use just a single Group 31 battery and bypassed that too.
I just decided not to involve my cranking battery at all.
I may revisit this later but i like the simplicity of having a separate lithium battery with a built in charge controller.
More than likely I will get a 100ah Battle Born and another solar panel.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
That is exactly how my solar is installed.

Truck alternator charges the starting and house batteries. When the vehicle is off, the batteries are isolated and the house battery receives solar charge. The solar charge controller will sense the increased voltage with the truck running and automatically stop charging the house battery.

Towards the bottom of my dual battery thread I add solar. Check it out if you want the details:
Thanks, good to know! I'll hook up my solar panel one of these days and start the truck and see what the controller does. I have both a Rich Solar 100W panel and a 20A Rich Solar controller, in the description of the controller it says this about overcharging protection.

Electronic protection: Overcharging, over-discharging, overload, and short circuit. Reverse protection: Any combination of solar module and battery, without causing damage to any component.

SNO-RNR

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Kelowna, BC, Canada
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Pearey
Member #

So I got the solar setup completed
Dometic CFX3 55, PB40 and an Overlandsolar Bug Out 120
The Bugout Blanket charges the PB40 10% per hour in Full Arizona Sun
About 10% in 1 1/2 hour in Rim Country Forest partial shade
I think it’s a good Small setup that can power the Fridge and charge accessories, not taking up much space
How many Amp hours is the PB40?. 10% doesn't seem a lot per hour in full sun. I ask because I'm looking for a folding solar blanket and considering the Bug Out 130. But I need something that will charge about 30 amp hours in about 6hrs or less. I have a 68 amp hour battery but I don't want it to go below 50%.

AzGnome

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7TZO
How many Amp hours is the PB40?. 10% doesn't seem a lot per hour in full sun. I ask because I'm looking for a folding solar blanket and considering the Bug Out 130. But I need something that will charge about 30 amp hours in about 6hrs or less. I have a 68 amp hour battery but I don't want it to go below 50%.
Thanks, good to know! I'll hook up my solar panel one of these days and start the truck and see what the controller does. I have both a Rich Solar 100W panel and a 20A Rich Solar controller, in the description of the controller it says this about overcharging protection.

Electronic protection: Overcharging, over-discharging, overload, and short circuit. Reverse protection: Any combination of solar module and battery, without causing damage to any component.
The Pbl40 is a 40ah