Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
So spending the morning looking at ways to mount the solar panels with the roof tent set up.
Looking good so far but needs a little refinement but 1 panel each side of the apex on the tent and I'm charging away.
Happy days.
So how do you do yours?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
Folding 100 watt on the ground for me so I can move it around to go with the sun. I have found that in less then ideal sunlight, having the right angle to the sun makes a big difference. I also tend to put the trailer itself in the shade where possible. The solar is mostly to keep the ARB fridge running in the back of the Jeep. The trailer power needs so far are pretty minimal.

I am trying to devise a way to have a panel that stores on the RTT rack, but that I can slide out and tilt/swivel towards the sun...might be too lofty a dream!

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
Folding 100 watt on the ground for me so I can move it around to go with the sun. I have found that in less then ideal sunlight, having the right angle to the sun makes a big difference. I also tend to put the trailer itself in the shade where possible. The solar is mostly to keep the ARB fridge running in the back of the Jeep. The trailer power needs so far are pretty minimal.

I am trying to devise a way to have a panel that stores on the RTT rack, but that I can slide out and tilt/swivel towards the sun...might be too lofty a dream!
Yes I understand regarding the tent in the sun. I too keep the fridge in the Land Rover and trailer is more for lighting and pump. I can link the fridge onto the trailer if required to prolong an off grid stop.
As I already have dual batteries in the Land Rover I do not charge the trailer batteries when on the move so rely on AC connection or solar. I can now charge using solar whilst underway now which is good. I did have a 150w framed solar panel but found it too big and too heavy.
With my new Panels I have enough cable to mount the panels away from the trailer or on the Land Rover if needed.

Reactions: dstock

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Vinnie
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
I am using two Goal Zero Boulder 30 panels. I couldn't come to a satisfactory solution for a permanent or semi-permanent install. They're kept in a carrying case specifically for two panels. I just pull them out of the back and lean them against something. I have a pretty long extension cable just in case.

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
Yes I understand regarding the tent in the sun. I too keep the fridge in the Land Rover and trailer is more for lighting and pump. I can link the fridge onto the trailer if required to prolong an off grid stop.
As I already have dual batteries in the Land Rover I do not charge the trailer batteries when on the move so rely on AC connection or solar. I can now charge using solar whilst underway now which is good. I did have a 150w framed solar panel but found it too big and too heavy.
With my new Panels I have enough cable to mount the panels away from the trailer or on the Land Rover if needed.

I have the dual batteries in the Jeep as well, big plus to keeping the fridge running. Sounds like we have a similar setup, I do the same with the panels between Jeep and trailer but like you said trailer draw is so small, I have yet to need to plug in the solar even when camped for 4 days or so. I did however recently wire it up to the trailer power so that it can recharge while on the move, albeit slowly of course.

At some point I plan to add a water tank and pump and that's probably when I will attempt to add a fixed panel to the trailer. Right now it's overkill, but what Overlander doesn't like overkill!!

Reactions: Polaris Overland

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
I have the dual batteries in the Jeep as well, big plus to keeping the fridge running. Sounds like we have a similar setup, I do the same with the panels between Jeep and trailer but like you said trailer draw is so small, I have yet to need to plug in the solar even when camped for 4 days or so. I did however recently wire it up to the trailer power so that it can recharge while on the move, albeit slowly of course.

At some point I plan to add a water tank and pump and that's probably when I will attempt to add a fixed panel to the trailer. Right now it's overkill, but what Overlander doesn't like overkill!!
Yes I have a high capacity pump drawing about 4 amps with 50 litre tank and a Mrs that like to shower every 5 minutes ;-).
I use 2 x 100ah batteries on the trailer which is overkill .............. if I don't bring the Mrs

But an old saying from pulling cables on ship building is my mantra - its better to be looking at it than for it, so more is better than not enough

Reactions: dstock

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

So spending the morning looking at ways to mount the solar panels with the roof tent set up.
Looking good so far but needs a little refinement but 1 panel each side of the apex on the tent and I'm charging away.
Happy days.
So how do you do yours?

Hey shipmate, where do you get the solar panel from and what are you using it for? topping up the car battery? charging toys and gadgets? etc etc.

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
Hey shipmate, where do you get the solar panel from and what are you using it for? topping up the car battery? charging toys and gadgets? etc etc.
Hi Keith,

See below links for the solar panels and the MPPT Controller.
The solar keeps my trailer batteries topped up when I am off grid which powers all round Trailer LED Lights, LED Tent Lights and high capacity water pump for showers etc.

I have also wired the system so I can also use it to charge the Aux Battery in my Defender which runs fridge and inverter or just run the fridge alone.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282244298881

Let me know if you need any additional info.

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
IMG_0859.JPG It's actually really easy to fit the solar side of it. Depends how complicated you want to go but I also have an electrical box with Ctek charger and change over switches and a battery isolator for the 2 x 100AH batteries in the trailer.

Sadly I,m retired so you need to buy the gear

Reactions: jscusmcvet

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

View attachment 17217 It's actually really easy to fit the solar side of it. Depends how complicated you want to go but I also have an electrical box with Ctek charger and change over switches and a battery isolator for the 2 x 100AH batteries in the trailer.

Sadly I,m retired so you need to buy the gear
aren't you an ex WEM? surely that gives you an advantage on this sort of thing.

hey is the the complete National Luna Battery maintenance system? that's something I'm thinking about for mine. I'll fit twin battery so that I may be able to power all the future goodies I hope to get.

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
aren't you an ex WEM? surely that gives you an advantage on this sort of thing.

hey is the the complete National Luna Battery maintenance system? that's something I'm thinking about for mine. I'll fit twin battery so that I may be able to power all the future goodies I hope to get.
Yes mate ex WEM (R).
It's just the monitor off a national Luna system. The actual dual charge system is fitted in the Defender to power the main and Aux batteries in there.
Here in the trailer I use the display just so I can see the charge state of the 2 trailer batteries.

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

Yes mate ex WEM (R).
It's just the monitor off a national Luna system. The actual dual charge system is fitted in the Defender to power the main and Aux batteries in there.
Here in the trailer I use the display just so I can see the charge state of the 2 trailer batteries.
I downloaded the National Luna Fitting Instruction PDF File. I see there are several ways of fitting and it appears you have one of those options. I'd like to think I'll be able to wire it up myself if I went ahead with it. I was thinking about having two batteries under my passenger seat and running stuff off the aux battery.

jscusmcvet

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Carolina
First Name
John
Last Name
Caliri
Member #

Service Branch
USMC Veteran
I have had good success with my 90watt suitcase set up from Overland Solar for the same reasons already menitioned. I have the ability to put the panel in the sun and the trailer in the shade. Makes a hige difference in the camper and even under the awning in the summer. Makes a difference to be able to relocate the panel just to make it face the sun directly. That also gives me something to "fiddle" with to keep my brain working...hahaha

https://overlandsolar.com/collections/rv-solar-systems/products/copy-of-3-panel-folding-90w-solar-unit