Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
So made some progress installing the new Victron MPPT Solar Charger and Controller and the Flexible Solar Panels.

When down the MPPT route as we are using 2 x 60W Panels to give us a more efficient charge.

Very happy with the results and so much lighter than the previous panel we had which was for a house rather than trailer.

You can see the old rigid panel in the last picture.

Attachments

Chris Arnesen

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hillsboro, OR
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Arnesen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KU7PDX
Using bungees and strapping the flexible panels onto the top of the RTT when it isn't in use is a great idea that I'll definitely have to borrow!

Reactions: Polaris Overland

Fellow Jeeper

Rank V

Influencer II

Latrobe Pa
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Bobincheck
What made you go with the flexible solar panels? I just bought a set of overland brand solar panels. I liked the idea of the flexible but want sure of the durability. Keep us updated.

Sent from my SM-G935V using OB Talk mobile app

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
What made you go with the flexible solar panels? I just bought a set of overland brand solar panels. I liked the idea of the flexible but want sure of the durability. Keep us updated.

Hi Fellow Jeeper,

Thanks for the interest. I had originally used a rigid panel which was too big, too heavy and too bulky although worked well here in sunny Cyprus.

I looked at what was available and discussed the ideas with a number of Overlanders in the UK who had travelled extensively and for often years at a time through the likes of Africa, Asia and both South and North America.

Nearly all pointed me to using more than one panel and an MPPT Controller to get better efficiency as you could have one in good sunlight and one in partial shade and the MPPT Controller will compensate to get a better charge into the batteries.

Sometimes I want to charge the Aux Battery in the Defender so I can split the Solar Panels and connect one to the trailer and the other to the Defender (Defender has an MPPT Controller of its own) or both to the Defender as we sometimes just use the Defender on shorter trips and don't take the trailer.

Vibration was also a concern. These Flexible panels are designed for boats so should handle vibration and bad weather.

And finally I wanted flexible so I can install them on the RTT when packed away and driving to allow solar to charge the trailer batteries on the move without worry about them flexing too much and cracking the cells.

Once RTT is set up I can place these lighter panels in the optimum positions to get the best sunlight and as they are light I can just Bungy Strap them to secure them even on top of the set up RTT to get more sunlight.

Ultimately we all have different needs and its getting a balance that works for us. There is no right way or wrong way, for me I wanted lightweight and flexibility on where I can put them so this is the route I took. I hope it works ;-)

Reactions: KM4DWS

Fellow Jeeper

Rank V

Influencer II

Latrobe Pa
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Bobincheck
Now I'm rethinking I should have went with the flexopower. With the jk jeep it's limited space. But the 60 watt system I got from overland solar seems to work. It's smallish and is a auto controller now.

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
Now I'm rethinking I should have went with the flexopower. With the jk jeep it's limited space. But the 60 watt system I got from overland solar seems to work. It's smallish and is a auto controller now.

Hahaha and yes that is what always happens when we see or hear about a different setup we start rethinking everything and usually just after you have jumped in and bought the equipment etc.

For me if it works and does what you need then happy days and when it gets old or needs replaced you can revisit the options.

For me using a higher voltage panel or series of panels gives better low light efficiency with a MPPT Controller. But you must have an MPPT Controller to be able to deal with the higher voltage and multiple panels. PWM Controller are not as efficient and the Solar panels voltage should not be higher than the Battery / System voltage.

At least that is my understanding of this black occult art of solar systems.