OB Approved So You Want To Be A HAM? (US Edition)

• HTML tutorial

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
I realise that this is a US specific thread but does anyone if this information is usable to study for the Canadian test, I have been having slight difficulties finding easy to read study material that doesn't involve joining a ham club.

I'm not sure how things work in Canada but I do know how we do things where I live. My Ham Club sponsors a Technician and General class at least once a year. You do NOT have to be a member of the club to take the free class but we appreciate the support if you care to join us.

I'm almost done teaching the current Technician class going on now. My club decided to "sponsor" the entire class's (12) test fee of $15 also.

My advice for those that are interested in becoming a Ham or "upgrading" their license is to look around for a club and see what they have to offer. Some clubs are interested in getting new Hams started and some just aren't interested in them. It costs nothing to check them out and see what they offer.

Reactions: Shahn and M Rose

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
And you don't have to know those things to use FRS or CB either, that's why they aren't licensed. Amateur radio lets people access so much more power and equipment that the dedication to learn those things is used to "weed out the weak" so to speak.

My Great Aunt got her tech license when you still had to know Morse code...
Basic code wasn’t hard until you got to about 18wpm. My grandmother earned her ticket at age 70, and topped out at Advanced class because she couldn’t quite hit 20. I did the same thing, hi hi. I did upgrade to Extra later.

Reactions: 64Trvlr