Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Most discussions about APRS revolve around tracking yourself and/or your vehicle, but it is much more than that. You can send messages to other APRS users, you can beacon positions of various objects (local repeaters, camp or Field Day site, traffic accident, etc), you can send SMS Text messages to a cell phone, short emails, even post to your Twitter account.

This thread will concentrate on sending SMS Text and Email as it could be handy to use to notify a family member of your situation should cell coverage be unavailable. In order for this to work you need to be within range of a digi-peater (digital repeater) that is within a couple of hops of an i-gate (Internet gateway), with one exception. A hop is when your signal goes from digi-peater to digi-peater, the accepted protocol is 2-3 hops max and this is done in the settings of your APRS setup.

My pictures and instructions will relate specifically to using APRSdroid however the syntax should be the same.

SMS Text sent from RF:
Your APRS radio should be on and your phone/tablet connected with APRSdroid running.
Go to the top right hand corner of APRSdroid, you will find three dots lined up vertically. Select them and the first option in the drop down menu is Messages. Click it and you will be taken to another screen, at the bottom you will see a button "Send Messages to..."
Messages are sent to "Callsign" SMSGTE.
The "Message Text" includes the phone number you are sending the message to and the message you want to send. All of this is limited to 67 characters, including the phone # so an Alias can be set up to allow more room for a message. That's worse than Twitter, but I am not a Tweeter so I won't include the how to.
aprsSMS.jpg

aprsSMS2.jpg

ALIAS:
To create an Alias you first have to create a log in by simply sending a message to SMSGTE from APRSdroid with the message of #mynumber add (insert your number).

aprsSMS3.jpg

You will get a confirmation message on APRS confirming your number is now associated with your callsign.

aprsSMS4.jpg

You can now set up a password from your cell phone by first sending yourself an text from APRS. You will receive a text from the unlisted SMSGTE phone number. You simply reply to the text with #password set (insert password).

aprsSMS5.jpg

Once you have done this you can go to http://smsgte.wixsite.com/smsgte/alias-manager
You can set up Alias via your phone as well, but frankly it was just easier to go to the web and do it.

Go to the blue box on the right, complete the form and info and add (or delete).
Though on APRS your callsign will appear with an SSID (a - and a number following your call sign such as -9 for mobile) your do not enter the SSID when logging into the Alias Manager.

aprsSMS6.jpg

This allows you to enter more subject in your text as the phone number will take up less of the 67 characters.
Your message would now look like this:

aprsSMS7.jpg

The person you are texting may respond IF they are a license ham as their messages will be passed over RF.

EMAIL sent from RF:
There are a couple of servers that facilitate passing an email from RF, I like EMAIL-2 as it offers some options and seems easy enough to use.

For email you will use EMAIL-2 for the callsign.
Your "Message Text" will include the email address and message, again limited to 67 characters. Alias's can be set up here as well.

aprsSMS8.jpg

To set up an Alias for email you would again send a message to EMAIL-2 and in the message put the Alias (Insert email address - lower case).

aprsSMS9.jpg

Again this will allow you to send a slightly longer message as the email will now take up less characters.

aprsSMS10.jpg

Using the EMAIL-2 server also allows the email recipient to reply, but as with SMS they too must be a license ham as the message will be sent over RF. You must set them up as an Alias first to keep spam off of the APRS infrastructure. There is also a specific format their email must have. The subject line of the email would need to include your call sign WITH SSID, : (colon must be present) and their message to you. The body of the email would simply be: userid: (their alias): Again the colons must be present, though no space after it I had to do that as the forum wanted to make it a sad face.
Subject: KF5WUF-9:be safe
Body: userid:wife:

The EMAIL-2 server will send you acknowledgements that the email has gone through.
If the recipient replies to your email and you are not currently running APRS the server will hold your email for 24hrs and you may retrieve it by sending "get" to EMAIL-2.

Now remember how I said you must be within range of a digi-peater with one exception? That would be that you can also use the International Space Station (ISS) and an APRS satellite (NO-84 or NO-44). You would need to change your frequency from 144.390Mhz to 145.825Mhz and change your path from Wide1-2, Wide 2-2 to APRISS. You would also need to know when the ISS/Sat would be flying over which can be done with various apps, but if you are out of cell service you would need to have the info beforehand. If you are running an HT for APRS you would need a direction yagi antenna to get into the ISS or sats however if you are running a mobile radio, about 30 watts and a mobile antenna can make it into the ISS/Sat just fine. I have successfully sent SMS Text messages from my Jeep to my wife's cell phone via the ISS.

Helpful Links:
http://smsgte.wixsite.com/smsgte
http://www.algissalys.com/amateur-radio/aprs-services
http://www.aprs-is.net/email.aspx

Let me know if you have any questions about this or ham radio in general.

Last edited:

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Great Info. I have been looking for an app on IOS that would be comparable to aprsdroid but it doesn’t seem to exist. Looks like I will be buying a cheap tablet to dedicate to this and use my IPad for everything else...
Jonathan if you decide to upgrade to a General license you can also get DroidPSK and DroidRTTY if you wanted to work some digital modes linking your tablet to an HF radio.

There are some IOS Aprs apps (http://n0ssc.com/posts/540-whats-the-best-iphone-aprs-app), but like you said non that compare to APRSdroid and I don't know if there are any that can connect to a TNC and do APRS through a radio vs using your internet/data.
The Mobilinkd TNC3 (https://store.mobilinkd.com/products/mobilinkd-tnc3) will have the ability to bluetooth to an IOS device so hopefully there will be someone to develop or update an app to function similar to APRSdroid.

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Did you know you can also get a weather report via APRS?
By sending a message to WXBOT with the day (even the day of the week abbreviations work) you want a weather report for you can receive a simple report for your current location.
Want more info? send the word FULL after the day of the week.
example: MON FULL or TOMORROW FULL
Want to know the weather of your destination? Send the city, state, day
example: Moab,UT SAT FULL
Know the Zip code? send, day, zip
example: FRI FULL 73025

The FULL is optional, if you don't include it you will get a very short report.

Here is a screenshot of a full weather report for my area.
WXBot.png

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Did you know you can also get a weather report via APRS?
By sending a message to WXBOT with the day (even the day of the week abbreviations work) you want a weather report for you can receive a simple report for your current location.
Want more info? send the word FULL after the day of the week.
example: MON FULL or TOMORROW FULL
Want to know the weather of your destination? Send the city, state, day
example: Moab,UT SAT FULL
Know the Zip code? send, day, zip
example: FRI FULL 73025

The FULL is optional, if you don't include it you will get a very short report.

Here is a screenshot of a full weather report for my area.
View attachment 96168
Really looking forward to trying this when I get a chance!

Reactions: Drifterman

BettyWhiteOneSeven

Rank VI
Launch Member

Contributor III

Modesto, CA, USA
First Name
Tony
Last Name
Fernandez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QFD
Great Info. I have been looking for an app on IOS that would be comparable to aprsdroid but it doesn’t seem to exist. Looks like I will be buying a cheap tablet to dedicate to this and use my IPad for everything else...
Make sure that it has GPS capabilities. You won’t be able to send your position without GPS, WiFi only tablet typically do not have GPS capabilities as it would use you IP to get your location.

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Just a reminder that for the SMS/Email and the WXBot to work you need to be within range of an I-gate or within range of a digipeater that can hit the I-gate.
To get a response you need to be within range of a bi-directional I-gate. Unfortunately some people still put up a one way I-gate which is fine for getting APRS info from RF to the Internet but does nothing to get info from the Net back to RF.
So while APRS is a good tool it is dependent on a user supplied network.

Last edited:

JeepGuy91

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rochester, MN, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
L
Member #

Make sure that it has GPS capabilities. You won’t be able to send your position without GPS, WiFi only tablet typically do not have GPS capabilities as it would use you IP to get your location.
You could theoretically use a tablet without GPS, but you'd have to manually enter your coordinates in the settings, which would be tedious depending on how you're using it.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
APRS pro SE is a decent iOS app. I don’t know of a way to connect it to a radio like the D710 though. I found the method of connecting it to a handheld too unreliable. The handhelds don’t have enough power to communicate with distant repeaters.

This new product may change things. Mobilinkd | Highly mobile packet radio version 3 is compatible with iOS.

Last edited:
Reactions: Prerunner1982

mtn

Rank IV

Influencer II

Washington, USA
First Name
Ole
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KA7OLE
Does Overland Bound use an APRS message group code? Seems like a nice feature, for example trying to reach other OB'ers at a larger event.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Does Overland Bound use an APRS message group code? Seems like a nice feature, for example trying to reach other OB'ers at a larger event.
I need to study up on group codes I guess. I never considered that.

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

@mtn are you referring to CQSRVR/ANSRVR?
If so... those are global messaging services and may be more than needed for a local event. Now if there were multiple OB events happening across the country at the same time that might work to connect to members at the other events.
For a local event sending out a message via RF using a tactical call of OverlandBound (or an abbreviated version thereof) might be a good way to connect with other members.

If you were referring to something different let me know, I would like to learn more.

mtn

Rank IV

Influencer II

Washington, USA
First Name
Ole
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KA7OLE
@mtn are you referring to CQSRVR/ANSRVR?
If so... those are global messaging services and may be more than needed for a local event. Now if there were multiple OB events happening across the country at the same time that might work to connect to members at the other events.
For a local event sending out a message via RF using a tactical call of OverlandBound (or an abbreviated version thereof) might be a good way to connect with other members.

If you were referring to something different let me know, I would like to learn more.
Maybe this is just feature specific to Kenwood TM-D710GA, but I can add multiple message group codes to my APRS setup and receive messages sent to any of those codes as if they were sent directly to my SSID. I don't think it matters whether the message ever went through the Internet or is RF only, this basically allows me to message a group just like I would message an individual SSID. No infrastructure or service required.

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Found this brief mention of group messaging in the Kenwood TM-d710 "Getting more acquainted with APRS and Echolink"

1585315421209.png

Appears the Yaesu FTM-400 also does group messaging.
1585317809714.png

I do not know if the two play well together.
I have also not found any mention of APRSdroid doing group messaging (which is what I use).

Last edited: